As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving: Should I buy a router for security?

TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
In a few weeks, I'm going to be moving into my own apartment. At home, my connection to the internet has always been through a router. From what I've heard, if you're behind a router, all you really need to protect yourself is windows built in firewall, instead of a third party one. And so far, I've had no problems with this set up.

Now that I'll be moving, I'm wondering if I should buy a router to use in my apartment. I think I'll need one just so that I can have my computer and 360 online at the same time, but would it be a good idea security wise to get one? Or should I get a beefier software firewall or what?

TwistedJester on

• Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A router is always always good. The Linksys WRT54G is a good one, methinks.

I've heard that Cisco is essentially killing the Linksys name, (they only kept it around after they were bought out for consumer brand-name recognition) so you might want to keep that in mind.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hardware firewall is always superior to software firewall.

yeah, getting a router is fine idea. i mean, why not?

nowadays, unless you're using static IP addresses, getting situated + making your router work is just as simple as plugging shit in.

plus, you'll also need a switch/hub of some kind if you want to get both your 360 and PC on a connection. a router's primary function is practically to do that! :)

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    if by "software firewall" you mean an application running on your windows desktop/workstation (i.e. zonealarm), youre better off buying a linksys/dlink/netgear router and keeping your virus software and windows critical updates up to date.

there's some good software firewalls out there, but it's not running on a desktop. The firewall builtin to XP and Vista are pretty annoying really.

Djeet on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is what happens when you connect through a router:
    Malware: "Hey, let me in through your ports!"
    Router: "GTFO noob"

This is what happens when you connect a windows computer with only a software firewall:
    Malware: "Hey, let me in!"
    Windows: "No."

The difference is that router firmware undergoes an obscene amount of review since it's used by so many people. If there's a bug in the router, it will probably just result in a crash and the router will need to be reset. A bug in a firewall running on your computer can expose the system to all kinds of fun exploits.

And that's not just windows - any OS is vulnerable to that, although the built-in firewall in UNIX-like systems like OS X or Linux are more hardened and are less likely to be buggy.

tl; dr: Get a router.

MKR on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I second router, for the reason mentioned above. Router crash = no biggie, just reset it. sw firewall crash = greater risk on PC. Also, having the windows firewall on and a router as well just adds a second layer of security without a big performance hit.

Oh - just because you have a router doesn't mean you don't need antivirus/antispyware! make sure you have both of those running, set to autoscan in your off hours at least once a week.

Sarcastro on