Options

Lunia: Action Arcade MMORPG?

Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So yeah, I found out about this Korean Action MMO called Lunia which is currently in Open Beta Testing for the English version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunia
Official Site: http://global.lunia.com/main.asp
Gameplay Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LaWEE2dblw

I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things and I'm going to download it when I get home.

img_gal1_L.jpg

img_gal5_L.jpg

img_gal6_L.jpg

The gameplay is actually action based and involves combos and chaining attacks together.

You start off with just the three classes below, but as you complete missions you can unlock other classes.

The three starting classes are pretty standard.

Sieg The Knight
The Knight is the basic melee class, which specializes in speedy and continuous attacking. The Knight is adept at chaining attacks together into combos.

Eir The Healer
The Healer is a support class, capable of healing and supporting other party members. If forced into a melee, the Healer is also able to defend herself with its wand.

Dainn The Wizard
The Wizard is a damage-dealing class that attacks from afar using various magic spells and items.

Is anyone playing this?

Apparently you need to have East Asian language packs installed to play this. Here is a guide I found.

1. Download this file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DJJQO6M2
2. Scan It For Viruses if you are uncertain
3. Extract it to whatever file you wish (WinRAR is recommended)
4. Go To Control Panel --> Regional and Language Settings
5. Languages Tab (the middle one) and check the very last check box (East Asian Files)
6. When it asks you for a CD, find the corresponding file (it will ask for one certain file, it should be easy to find within the extracted folder)
7. Halfway through the process, it will ask for another file (again, its rather easy to find since its the only one of its type)
8. Restart the computer, or else it just looks like a bunch of blank boxes
9. ENJOY

1) It changes it to your language
2) You do not need a CD
3) It doesn't matter which file you put the Language pack in
4) I am assuming that this is a XP-Only solution, but it may work for Vista (any OS older than XP may have problems, I am not positive, but try anyways)
5) Some files may be missing, here are some below.

IF YOU ARE MISSING:

cgs40woa --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46162894/cga40woa.rar
cga80woa --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46162937/cga80woa.rar
coure --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46165174/coure.rar
courf --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46166129/courf.rar

Black_Heart on

• Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The gameplay video looks pretty decent. I dunno how well this game would play out towards end game, but it looks FUN regardless.

MMO where dodging is based upon skill at moving your character, not some stat = fun time.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Intriguing.

Also, this should probably go in the MMO sub-forum.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does look quite interesting. Especially if the loot/item system is diablo-esque.

devoir on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They run so slow! If they'd just increase running speed like 50% I'd be all over this. Looks pretty slick, though. If there's decent equipment development/collection/choice I might be dragged into it.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't think there are enough monsters to support how the game is set up: you enter an area in which people have already made progress, so if you get there late, it seems like everything is dead. And then apparently loot is allocated evenly to anyone at the location, even if they're AFK, which isn't really fair.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll try it out...just cause I think this is where MMO's should be going.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Watching it a bit more, it looks a lot more like a gauntlet legends type of mmo. I have fond memories of that game, and hope I can look back and have the same type playing this game with friends (online, not in the arcade with me).

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds interesting up until you mention the healing class. I don't really feel like having to do the Looking for White Mage! dealy all over again.

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This game seems that it would be best enjoyed with a smaller group of friends rather than trying to group with random people from the intarwebs.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    This game seems that it would be best enjoyed with a smaller group of friends rather than trying to group with random people from the intarwebs.
    Yes, this is in fact an MMO.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well I just caved and installed this anyways. I'll probably end up playing as the healer person. Anyone else playing?

Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I'm pretty sure there are some other classes; i saw a video of a Thief.

Meister on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to try this as well.

Every step away from auto-attacking is a good step in my book.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Huh. When I click run game, the client just closes and nothing happens. That's great :(.

Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Apparently, you need japanese or something installed on your computer and switch to that when you runt he client.

I lost my xp cd, so I can't do that atm. Oh well. Maybe when they fix that requirement, I'll get this running.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here is a guide to installing the language packs to run this.

1. Download this file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DJJQO6M2
    2. Scan It For Viruses if you are uncertain
    3. Extract it to whatever file you wish (WinRAR is recommended)
    4. Go To Control Panel --> Regional and Language Settings
    5. Languages Tab (the middle one) and check the very last check box (East Asian Files)
    6. When it asks you for a CD, find the corresponding file (it will ask for one certain file, it should be easy to find within the extracted folder)
    7. Halfway through the process, it will ask for another file (again, its rather easy to find since its the only one of its type)
    8. Restart the computer, or else it just looks like a bunch of blank boxes
    9. ENJOY

1) It changes it to your language
    2) You do not need a CD
    3) It doesn't matter which file you put the Language pack in
    4) I am assuming that this is a XP-Only solution, but it may work for Vista (any OS older than XP may have problems, I am not positive, but try anyways)
    5) Some files may be missing, here are some below.

IF YOU ARE MISSING:

cgs40woa --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46162894/cga40woa.rar
    cga80woa --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46162937/cga80woa.rar
    coure --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46165174/coure.rar
    courf --> http://rapidshare.com/files/46166129/courf.rar

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Seems like a lot of work.

Ah well, I'll give it a shot.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I got it to work. So far it's pretty damn fun. My character name is Tisiphone (i'm a healing bitch).

Meister on
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some friends and I are playing this and having a blast. I had my expectations really low, though, so I was really pleasantly surprised. The level of customization is literally nothing though, and I hope that eventually changes, at least a little bit.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it open or closed beta? I think I played in close beta and it was way to laggy for europeans D:

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Open now.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xhaztol wrote: »
    Some friends and I are playing this and having a blast. I had my expectations really low, though, so I was really pleasantly surprised. The level of customization is literally nothing though, and I hope that eventually changes, at least a little bit.

Yah, the skill system tricked me at first. I was all Sweet! A tree specialization system like WoW! Oh wait, I don't actually get to choose...

edit: Wait a second, the lunia forums are talking about builds and choosing some abilities over others and stuff. In the later levels do you open up abilities faster than you get points? Because so far I've just been filling in everything as it pops up.

Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I got it installed and made a Knight named Jashin.

Its pretty fun, would be better if they had the USB Gamepad support working, heh. But ohh well.

I'll be playing this later today if anyone wants to get together.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It bears mentioning that the levels in this game are set up instance style, like PSO. Which, to me, is a cool thing.

Meister on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks awesome. Downloading.

Might be a nice change of pace. Got back into Space Cowboy recently.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, how do I grade my items. They are ungraded, and that scholar in town doesn't accept them for any of the options.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, not able to validate the GnG membership for some reason.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What's the PvP like in this?

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Alright, I'm a level 9 mage and it's pretty fun so far. Someone should start a guild up.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    mikecantypemikecantype Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got it installed and made a Knight named Jashin.

Its pretty fun, would be better if they had the USB Gamepad support working, heh. But ohh well.

I'll be playing this later today if anyone wants to get together.

Use Joy2Key to map the keyboard to your controller. I'm planning to do that with my 360 controller soon.
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Hey, how do I grade my items. They are ungraded, and that scholar in town doesn't accept them for any of the options.

You have to firstly unequip your items then you can drag them into the grading box, a bit iffy but yeah.

Been waiting for this since closed beta, I just missed out on it by a few days.

Name: ninetynine
    Class: warrior/knight/whatever
    Level: 12
    Server: USA

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I jumped at the chance to play this as I don't really have any MMO occupying my time, which might actually be a good thing. But I needed something to fill some space I have that I don't do anything in my day and PA boards came through.

I like this game. The likening to Secret of Mana has probably been brought up, so I'll just reinforce it. Right now I'm playing the Healer girl, as the warrior guy seems too much "bash 'em guud" for my taste. Look for Knami if you want to get something going. I think she's level 6 right now.

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Right, I'm "Laaaaser." Send me a whisper if you want to play together.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bah. Didn't bother creating an account during lunchtime at work, and now their webserver seems to be cactus.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anyone on right now?

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been playing this for a day or two since I read about the OB on the SA forums.

I'll give a quick rundown of the game since I would like more people to join up and play.

Lunia at first glance looks like every other dime a dozen cutesy korean MMO ever made, but it has at least a few things going for it that make it stand out.

go.jpg

Most importantly, the game plays like an arcade beat-em-up, replete with juggling combos and screen-clearing special attacks. Healers generally aren't a big concern because you find food all over the various maps ala gauntlet which will heal you over time as you pick them up, and every player is given three lives at the beginning of a stage in the first place. This is not the type of game where you need to sit around and form a holy trinity party, despite the fact that there is a 'healer' type character.

map.jpg

The game is organized into stages and acts. In each act there are 10 stages where you actually fight enemies and progress from the first to the last. Along the way you will pick up quests from characters in neutral npc stages which are unlocked by completing certain quests in the act or by beating a certain stage, as well as accept quests from npcs within the combat stages themselves. There are currently three complete acts, so 30 stages. Supposedly there is content in the game code which suggests that there will eventually be up to 10 acts, and even more rumors suggest that there is some kind of advanced play options ala Diablo II's nightmare and hell difficulty which will allow you to go through the content again to gain enhanced exp and equipment.

ice.jpg

Once you get into a stage you beat up monsters and generally complete the various scripted sequences, collecting this object and that object and trampling mini bosses for treasure boxes. Every stage culminates in a (sometimes very challenging) boss fight.

boss.jpg

Bosses are often the crux of missions and when defeated turn into giant chests which contain potions, money, and gambit treasure boxes which could have rare gear inside.

clear.jpg

Hooray!

grade.jpg

Err, maybe I should do this stage over. I have no idea what grade actually represents but you're given one after every stage and I presume it somehow effects your bonus exp for beating the stage or possibly the quality of your gambit box.

Anyways, the game is fun, and there's a lot more that I didn't even mention, such as the item upgrading system, pvp, and probably more stuff I don't even know about yet.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's really cool. Definitely appreciate the effort you've gone to to provide the information. I'll be hopping on tonight after work.

devoir on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This looks really cool. Any idea on the minimum specs?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Most any computer bought in the last 5 years should be good. The settings can be turned way down to run on a GeForce4 or something ridiculous. The game engine honestly looks exctly like the Ragnarok Online 1 engine, so I'm sure you could run it on an even lower card. I don't see computer specs as being a major hurdle to overcome.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just started playing this tonight, in-game name Flammie.

It should be stated that the responsiveness of this game is really good, and the graphics scale well to match as it's all cel-shaded 3d. Also has no problem supporting widescreen resolutions, and looks very clean at 1680x1050.

This might well take up a spot in my current game list for dungeon crawling; it basically feels like what Dungeon Runners should have been.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is there another location for that "east asian language files.rar"? Megaupload is as slow as all hell for me at the moment.

Edit: Nevermind, I can just use the Windows XP CD.

Edit2: Gnargh. It seems that from my home internet connection I can't load either the global.lunia.com website or log into the game. WTF?

Edit3: Guessing my IP's blocked as some kind of attempt to prevent people outside of US/Europe/Singapore from playing. Which is stupid because from my office (same ISP, different IP block) I can access the webpage.

devoir on