As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking Up Tv to Computer

JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I did a search but I fail at managing the right word choices to come up with optimal results.

My brother and I bought a 32" LCD HD tv and we were hooking it up to my computer. The hookup wasnt a problem, just plugged the S-video into my computer and whalla, video. However the video is not clear at all and very blurry. Actually, not completly true, playing dvd's and movies it looks great, but normal computer tasks are super blurry. I upped to resolution but all that did is make it so I had to scroll around the screen (the desktop was bigger then the tv itself) without giving a clearer view.

What do I need to look for, or how do I make the normal desktop look clear and sharp. Dvd's play just fine with sharp visuals, its just normal PC tasks that are lacking in clarity.

Also I am wanting to hook up good speakers, the whole surround sound bit, what brands would you all suggest, do I need to get a receiver with the speakers as well or can my computer do that?

Thanks, peace.

Jigrah on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First you need to find out what other inputs your TV has and what outputs your PC has. S-video will not give you a good image.

If your TV has a VGA or DVI input, and if your computer has a VGI or DVI output, you can get cables (that are either VGA-DVI or VGA-VGA or DVI-DVI) and use that to connect your computer.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is the normal VGA output (used to output to monitor) suitable for my VGA input on my TV?

Also if its the image quality issue why would DVD's play just fine?

Jigrah on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Is the normal VGA output (used to output to monitor) suitable for my VGA input on my TV?

Also if its the image quality issue why would DVD's play just fine?

Mainly because DVD resolution is not very high.

Is your TV 720p 1080i ior 1080p?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes, use the vga output, it'll be MUCH better.

DVDs play fine as they play at a lower resolution, they're MEANT for a tv.

Trust me, when you plug the computer in via VGA you will see a MASSIVE difference.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Yeah

Also, for a clear image, make sure your desktop is running at the native resolution of the LCD. This is probably going to be 1366*768 for you, since it's a 32" LCD TV.

Oh and a cheap place to get cables is monoprice.com. Almost all the stuff you see in brick-and-mortar stores are ridiculously overpriced.

Zoolander on