As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good laptops for around 1000 dollars or less?

Bang Bang Miss AmericaBang Bang Miss America Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Basically the exchange rate is ridiciously high right now (1 pound = 2 dollars and three cents) and I'm going to America in a few days, and I'm planning to get a laptop for around 1000 dollars or less.

I want a good laptop and I'm planning on installing Ubuntu.

Know any laptops/deals?

Halp.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwyxz
Bang Bang Miss America on

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You can build a really good Dell Vostro for about $1000 including a couple years warranty.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MacBook

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    saltiness wrote: »
    MacBook

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but I'm going into Broadcast Journalism, and ultimately I want to be a producer. I want to start off in th editing room (hell I may be at the front desk, I don't know) but anyway, I've been looking at the MacBook Pro. Aside from a bigger screen (which I would love) what is the big jump from the regular to the Pro?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but I'm going into Broadcast Journalism, and ultimately I want to be a producer. I want to start off in th editing room (hell I may be at the front desk, I don't know) but anyway, I've been looking at the MacBook Pro. Aside from a bigger screen (which I would love) what is the big jump from the regular to the Pro?

Im pretty sure the biggest differences are the keyboard and the graphics cards.

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MacBook

powerss on
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TrippyDK wrote: »

Is the Pro able to game?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't see any macbooks under $1000 on their site.

I'd get a decently priced Dell, get lots of battery power in it, and install Ubuntu.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    TrippyDK wrote: »

Is the Pro able to game?
    Yes. Quite. Especially if you Boot Camp with Windows.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

I'd get a decently priced Dell, get lots of battery power in it, and install Ubuntu.

Assuming the OP can swing the educational discount...

MacBook: $999 + $199(ipod nano) - $199(ipod nano rebate) - ~$175(sell ipod on ebay) = $825 MacBook.

That's what I did, just make sure it's the 4gb red nano, they have the highest resale value.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Or like, a free nano if the OP needs or wants one. Basically win win situation.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

Assuming the OP can swing the educational discount...

MacBook: $999 + $199(ipod nano) - $199(ipod nano rebate) - ~$175(sell ipod on ebay) = $825 MacBook.

That's what I did, just make sure it's the 4gb red nano, they have the highest resale value.

I don't think the OP is from Amurrika, so getting the educational discount may be a little rough.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg