As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Weeks 08/01/07

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you don't know, you don't get to know.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here's the awesome stuff from All New Atom. It looks like the book's really ramped up since I dropped it due to the godawful Byrne art, so I may have to start picking up the trades.

<3 Simone and Norton

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yes that was awesome keith

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was always great, Norton just made it better.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, good week all around. I'm kinda sad I have to drop JSA though, since it's never done me wrong. Also, you fuckers that aren't reading Welcome to Tranquility are going to face my wrath if the book gets the ax.

But anyway, my "WTF?!!" moments of the week come from Irredeemable Ant-Man #11:
    Holy shit Mitch is a goddamned psycho, and Eric O'Grady is the fucking king of liars!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Here's the awesome stuff from All New Atom. It looks like the book's really ramped up since I dropped it due to the godawful Byrne art, so I may have to start picking up the trades.

<3 Simone and Norton

Aww... Aww man... aww... wow. I'm not crying. I swear.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    holy shit they made scarecrow creepy as fuck

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like the idea of him no longer being dependent upon fear gas.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I demand pics!

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the best book of the week goes to Illuminati #4.
    The Illuminati dealing with Noh-Varr was just awesome. Very well written.

I also think that the new Spawn:Godslayer book is really picking up steam. The brand new world they've created, complete with a huge pantheon of interesting characters for Spawn to slaughter, is a welcome change from the regular Spawn books, which are starting to wear on even a die-hard fan like me.
    In #3, Spawn is facing off against Urshrek, the God of Winter. Made for this awesome moment:

godslayer01.jpg
    godslayer02.jpg

There's also a page in the back of each book devoted to a legend about whatever mythological figure or creature that happens to be featured in each issue, some of which are kind of neat.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JSA #8 was kind of filler, but then...
    "Next: Thy Kingdom Come"

unfunfunfunf

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goddammit, my comic shop burned down and now, not only am I down the greatest hangout in the college town, but all the comics they had on hold for me are gone, effectively putting me on trades for, oh, 7 or 8 series. Bah.

I got... I got Ultimates 2 v2 at a local Barnes & Nobles. That's the only comic I've been able to get since... May.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Please let this mean what I think it means.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Its the "formula" Liberty Bell's dad used in order to "access" his powers. He taught it to her so she had super speed as well. Basically her dad thought the speed force theory was junk and that his formula was the key to super speed.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Its the "formula" Liberty Bell's dad used in order to "access" his powers. He taught it to her so she had super speed as well. Basically her dad thought the speed force theory was junk and that his formula was the key to super speed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It looks a lot like Jessie Quick's mantra.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Yup, basically she now has both powers from her parents

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »

I demand pics!
    The only part I don't get is when he turns into crows.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I demand pics!

Hypnotism. He didn't actually turn into crows.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah, I didn't think so, I just didn't know how he did it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I demand pics!

Hypnotism. He didn't actually turn into crows.

What comic is this?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah, I didn't think so, I just didn't know how he did it

I'd like a "Do It Yourself!" tutorial on the subject myself, but I figure it's enough to know that he convinced the guards that he'd turned into a bunch of crows and escaped while simultaneously having them free him (though, of course, they weren't aware of the fact that they were freeing him).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    so im going with the whole no-boobs to D-cup thing she has going on for my explanation.
    Can we get a scan of that? :winky:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OK, I lied earlier. Moment of the week was my girlfriend buying me the Red Son paperback for my birthday.

I've not read the thing in years and then I lost it. Re-read it this afternoon while putting off housework, fuck me that's some good elseworlds.

My favourite bit? Hal Jordan and the prison camp he made in his mind.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I demand pics!

there's no real picture

it's what he does

just read Detective Comics

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nothing has really grabbed me so far this week. But I didn't finish my stack yet. I really liked the JSA issue though, but there wasn't anything in it that made say, "Whoa shit!"

Midnighter looks interesting. I guess I'm up for seeing a little more character development for him. My question is how does a place like Harmony exist without the Authority's knowledge? Don't they sit in that ship and monitor everything?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    3X2(9YZ)4A

Because it is. It was also Johnny's when he was still a hero, and I think Wally used it at some point.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    so im going with the whole no-boobs to D-cup thing she has going on for my explanation.
    Can we get a scan of that? :winky:

Jubilee pre boob job:
    jubilee1uf0.jpg

jubileerd3.jpg

Jubilee post boob job:
    nw30011dn9.jpg

scan0021hs9.jpg

Heres the pertinent Detective pages for the new Scarecrow. I didnt overly care for this take. I dont see how simple slight of hand hypnosis, or whatever this is, can be more effective then a nerve toxin / gas, but the issue was well written, so hard to say. Will have a better idea if this is a long term change or just a small thing for the 2 issue arc.
    aadtctv835007tw2.jpg

aadtctv835008qv8.jpg

aadtctv835009zb4.jpg

KVW on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, can someone explain in WWH3
    Wtf is in that box that Strange opens? I really dont understand how hes like an arcane hulk now. Also: Please kill General Ross already.

Thor 2 was awesome, cant wait for Tony to get his ass kicked next issue.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The problem with Scarecrow's reliance on the fear gas is that it limited him as a character. Time and time again, as illustrated during Batman's pursuit in this issue, Scarecrow would follow the same pattern after breaking out of Arkham.

Make a costume.

Assemble some fear gas.

Try to expose as many people as possible, maybe rob a bank.

And truth be told, that was it. That's not to say there wasn't the potential for a good Scarecrow story, though. However, the main draw of any Scarecrow story was always the depiction of the effects of the fear gas, and in that way Johnathan Crane himself wasn't really the most interesting part of his own stories. Rather, it was just the gas, and whenever a particularly good depiction of fear came about you really couldn't chalk that up as a win for Crane because, frankly, the gas was doing all the work and Crane was just a delivery mechanism. Hell, he wasn't even creating fear in the first place, but rather simply tricking the mind into being afraid. Everything was an illusion, and so there Scarecrow wasn't even much of a threat in the first place, especially to someone who can overcome false fears as easily as Batman (after the obligatory clutching of his parents' grave, of course).

But with this new take, we see Crane doing more than simpl dousing people with chemicals. Instead, he's actually making use of his background in psychology and creating fear the old fashioned way. In one short issue, he's managed to put the whole of Gotham in the grips of terror, something he'd often tried and failed to do as Batman always showed up to stop the spread of his fear gas. What's more, there is no antidote to real fear. Batman can't neutralize the gas, nor can he even make the conventional display of willpower to save himself. Everyone in Gotham now has a real reason to be afraid, and so Scarecrow has become a true master of fear.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    So, can someone explain in WWH3
    Wtf is in that box that Strange opens? I really dont understand how hes like an arcane hulk now. Also: Please kill General Ross already.

Thor 2 was awesome, cant wait for Tony to get his ass kicked next issue.
    It was Zom, some ancient mystical demon who can kick Strange's ass and has vast mystical powers purely used for destruction.

EDIT: I want to titty-nail Jubilee. I can't help it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Remember when Nova had a cover showing a fight between Nova and Iron Man that never really happened? Kind of what I'm expecting with Thor.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But - we've seen previews of part of their fight, surely?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »

I must've missed them if we did. Does it look cool?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There should be a stupidest moment of the week thread too because I'd give to WWH3. That last page looked redonkulous. "ARGH I HAVE SCARY MACE HANDS!!"

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »

I must've missed them if we did. Does it look cool?

Gawd I hope it happens. I havent seen any scans, but I'd assume that Thor would be pretty pissed at Tony... I mean the guy cloned him and then the clone killed someone in Thor's name.

I dunno if Thor and whatever his name is were friends, but I'd imagine Thor knew the guy.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jubilee post boob job is especially funny because so many panels look like she is shoving her tits into the face of whoever she is talking to.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The problem with Scarecrow's reliance on the fear gas is that it limited him as a character. Time and time again, as illustrated during Batman's pursuit in this issue, Scarecrow would follow the same pattern after breaking out of Arkham.

Make a costume.

Assemble some fear gas.

Try to expose as many people as possible, maybe rob a bank.

And truth be told, that was it. That's not to say there wasn't the potential for a good Scarecrow story, though. However, the main draw of any Scarecrow story was always the depiction of the effects of the fear gas, and in that way Johnathan Crane himself wasn't really the most interesting part of his own stories. Rather, it was just the gas, and whenever a particularly good depiction of fear came about you really couldn't chalk that up as a win for Crane because, frankly, the gas was doing all the work and Crane was just a delivery mechanism. Hell, he wasn't even creating fear in the first place, but rather simply tricking the mind into being afraid. Everything was an illusion, and so there Scarecrow wasn't even much of a threat in the first place, especially to someone who can overcome false fears as easily as Batman (after the obligatory clutching of his parents' grave, of course).

But with this new take, we see Crane doing more than simpl dousing people with chemicals. Instead, he's actually making use of his background in psychology and creating fear the old fashioned way. In one short issue, he's managed to put the whole of Gotham in the grips of terror, something he'd often tried and failed to do as Batman always showed up to stop the spread of his fear gas. What's more, there is no antidote to real fear. Batman can't neutralize the gas, nor can he even make the conventional display of willpower to save himself. Everyone in Gotham now has a real reason to be afraid, and so Scarecrow has become a true master of fear.

So this was all from the latest Detective Comics? I might have to start reading that.

smokmnky on