As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about Dragonball Online

LifeVirusZEROLifeVirusZERO Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I think it has the potential to be the best MMORPG ever. It is a wonderful idea in theory, however I'm a little worried about just how they plan to pull it off. It's gonna take a lot of time and thinking when you consider things like collecting the dragon balls or going super saiyan. They're gonna have to do it JUST RIGHT. And I am really TRULY hoping that they don't screw it up. What would you like to see in DBO?

In case you are unfamiliar with DBO, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Online

6ltl5i0ap7.png
LifeVirusZERO on

• Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    some kind of ultimate tournament. and a panda bear or giant fox as a playable character!D:

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game is going to have the longest grind ever. The grunting delay between attacks won't help either.

I'm going to get you xXvegetitiesXx! 3 hours from now. Once I'm finished charging!

Invisible on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is there any word about the game coming to the US? I didn't see anything about that on the wiki site.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Is there any word about the game coming to the US? I didn't see anything about that on the wiki site.

Not yet, but if it doesn't I'm sure there are plenty of people who are gonna be pretty mad. I know I will be

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I want the beta to hurry up and come out so I can see how good/bad it is.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game has the same curse as the Star Wars MMORPG did. Just like everyone wanted to be a Jedi, everyone is going to want to be a Saiyan.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    This game has the same curse as the Star Wars MMORPG did. Just like everyone wanted to be a Jedi, everyone is going to want to be a Saiyan.

That's why I'm hoping they don't make saiyans as overpowered as [everyone thinks] they are. Going super saiyan should be something that is really freakin hard to achieve, if they even include it (which they should IMO)

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here's to hoping they make it at least decent, like the Mobile Suit Gundam MMO.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What's going to make it a good MMO? Nothing pops out at me and I have my doubts about the source material.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    What's going to make it a good MMO? Nothing pops out at me and I have my doubts about the source material.

Because it's so different from the same old MMO formula.

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    captaink wrote: »

Because it's so different from the same old MMO formula.

You're... you're joking, right?

Dragonball Online
    DBO_Screen1.jpg

World of Warcraft
    world_of_warcraft_1.jpg

It looks like it's shaping up to be a WoW clone. And that is about as "same old MMO formula" as you can get.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well with flying and the sheer over the top-ness of the show it lends itself well to a unique mmo. Assuming they try to emulate the show as close as possible...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Could be fun. I don't think they could really make it a raid-style endgame, though. Something more like the way Fury is going.

devoir on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

It's 2000 or so years in the future and Saiyans are not playable characters, so there you go.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, it seems that the game has also been confirmed for the 360, which seems to increase the chance it'll come out here.

Furu on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked DBZ untill the plot was filled with so many holes that I fell through one.

But, I have to admit, that screen looks pretty nice. My sister would love the hell out of it if it's any good.

Interest level is rising...

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is probably going to be the worst MMO ever. Not just in design but the playerbase for this game would be absolutley unbearable.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So if it's 2000 years in the futre, what the hell are piccolo and Goku doing there??

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Something tells me this game is just going to suffer from huge balancing issues. And I'm not saying that as someone who is DBZ buff, I'm saying that as someone who thinks this game is just not going to be polished at all.

Also I'm not a DBZ buff, hate the show

Franko on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    This is probably going to be the worst MMO ever. Not just in design but the playerbase for this game would be absolutley unbearable.

Maybe, but I had reservations about the DBZ fighting games and they turned out allright.

I mean, they're no Soul Calibur, but they weren't that bad either.

But yeah, this will be worse that WoW's elf hunter community.

XLegolasX times 100

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

Maybe, but I had reservations about the DBZ fighting games and they turned out allright.

I mean, they're no Soul Calibur, but they weren't that bad either.

But yeah, this will be worse that WoW's elf hunter community.

XLegolasX times 100

Budokai 3 remains one of the better fighting games released in the last 5 years, in my opinion.

As to the MMO, I really, really hope there's no turn based combat. Implementing frenetic action in a turn-based system never ends well. I'm hoping for Star Ocean-esque combat, with PvP limited to fighting tournaments (buildups sot hat the "high-level" players compete in the Budokai Tenkaichi tournament) or small group (4 on 4, maximum) engagements.

Leaving Saiyans out as a playable race is entirely due to play balance, I'm sure, but I'd hope that there's like, half-Saiyans or quarter-Saiyans or some variation on that. It's not DBZ if there's no yellow hair and lightning bolts.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm actually genuinely curious to see how this ends up. Most MMORPG genre games set themselves in a franchise that could understandably support the type of click and roll gameplay most games in the genre have.

This is VERY far from that in some ways, but really great for it in others. The frantic action goes against the very nature of click and roll, yet EVERYTHING was so "my power level is over 9000 i'm unbeatable OH NO YOURS IS 9001 I'M DOOMED!" which fits right in with the grind structure of an MMO, not to mention direct singular competition events like energy battles.

Should be interesting.

Polago on
  • Options
    Henry_HydeHenry_Hyde Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It has potential to be OVER 9000!!!!

God, that joke has been just beaten senseless with a big chunk of meat, hasn't it? Sorry.....

I wish I could blame them if they choose to copy WoW (Nobody likes a cheater) but I gotta say, if you are going to take a license like Dragonball and make an MMO, why not follow the most successful MMO out there. I actually am sort of intrigued at the idea of being a martial-art-master-monkey from space.

Henry_Hyde on
    Angry and Destructive Gamers, ASSEMBLE!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    So if it's 2000 years in the futre, what the hell are piccolo and Goku doing there??

Trunks fucking with the time stream. Apparently the Dark Eye are enough of a problem he needs to drag people from the past to teach the player characters, though they're forbidden from actually fighting.

Interesting it's revealed that one of the starting points is New Namek, so we might have planetary travel right from the start.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Trunks fucking with the time stream. Apparently the Dark Eye are enough of a problem he needs to drag people from the past to teach the player characters, though they're forbidden from actually fighting.

Interesting it's revealed that one of the starting points is New Namek, so we might have planetary travel right from the start.

So let me get this straight:

Trunks brings in people from the past. ULTRA STRONG people from the past.
    And all they do is train noobs so that they MIGHT kick the badguys asses?

DBZ is always so retarded. Goku should just go over there and kick them in the nuts.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I can't find the scan that showed it, but one of the early revealed features was the option to make a character as a kid and age as you progressed from a child to a teenager to an adult.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Furu wrote: »

So let me get this straight:

Trunks brings in people from the past. ULTRA STRONG people from the past.
    And all they do is train noobs so that they MIGHT kick the badguys asses?

DBZ is always so retarded. Goku should just go over there and kick them in the nuts.

Meddling too much in time in DBZ results in the creation of alternate timelines, so if they were to just go kick the shit out of the bad guys, it might not even count for anything.

Furu on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Plus, you don't want to be relying too much on one guy. What if he gets sick and dies?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Plus, you don't want to be relying too much on one guy. What if he gets sick and dies?
    Then you bring him back to life. Over and over and over. :P

Also this game needs instanced arenas for high level pvp where you can destroy the entire planet.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Or what if he just hops on a dragon's back and flies away?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    GO GO TINY SCAN POWER

dbologo02eh9.gif

The age thing is at the bottom.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think they should do an MMO based on that anime with the truck and the "DABUDABUDABUDABU" and "WRYYYYYY" instead.

Dropping trucks on people?

yes please.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't mind playing as a Namekian (sp?)

I want to do a Special Beam Cannon or something

Etch on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I assume battles will generally take 3 ours, 2 of which consist of powering up?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A bigger, pre-beta image

The beta is supposed to start in Korea this summer but I can't find any information on it, so it likely hasn't started yet.

Furu on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I would kill to have a scanner equipment being the only way to know someone's level. And if they're at max level or something, when you scan them, the scanner explodes.

I would buy the game so hard for that feature.

Also, a Gundam MMO was mentioned earlier in the thread. I am highly intrigued. Did it get a stateside release?

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No. And Bandai is shutting it down at the end of October.

Furu on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, what? They're shutting down the Gundam MMO? Those dicks. D:

I'm both looking forward to and dreading this game. Looking forward to it because, in all honesty, no matter how much you hate it you have to admit that the possibility for a DBZ MMO could be pretty badass if they drop the whole POWER UP segments. Dreading it because the amount of "it's over 9000!" and Chuck Norris jokes that are going to end up being mentioned in general chat for this game could possibly shatter reality itself. It's going to be barrens chat x1000, I guarantee it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A lot of people don't get that the "POWER UP" things were mostly filler segments thrown in to stretch the episode length out so they wouldn't catch up to the manga.

Furu on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That aging system seems neat.

CyberJackal on