As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where is the line drawn?

RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I'm checking my RSS feeds during my downtime, when I stumble across this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6934189.stm
bbc.co.uk wrote:
Hunt for girl, 13, and boyfriend

Police are growing increasingly concerned about a young couple who have gone missing from Portsmouth.

Melissa Cheatle, 13, left her home in Crown Street at around 1000 BST on Sunday with her 21-year-old boyfriend, James Chester.

Hampshire police said both of their mobile phones were switched off and Melissa, who does not have access to any money, took no belongings with her.

Melissa's family told police her disappearance was "out of character".

Parents' concern

It is not known where the couple were going, but James mentioned to his parents that he was planning to see a friend in Southampton, police said.

Melissa, who recently changed her surname from Peck, is never usually away from home overnight without telling her parents and both families are growing concerned.

Pc Adam Robson said: "It's very out of character for Melissa to be away from home without telling her parents and they're growing very concerned.

"I'd appeal to Melissa and James to contact police urgently.

This story and the reaction of the authorities seem unusually calm, considering that a 13 year old girl is in a relationship with, and has seemingly disappeared with a 21 year old man. What differs in this situation and others that prevent this from becoming a nationwide manhunt?

Basically, where is the line drawn (in either social or legal terms, if you prefer) between someone being considered a pervert and someone having what is considered a legitimate relationship with a minor? Is the latter even considered acceptable in western society?

Rohaq on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    As long as they don't have sex, the relationship is technically legal.

As for whether it's moral, that's a whole different matter.

Personally? I think a 21 year old dating a 13 year old is creepy as fuck.

ege02 on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A relationship like that is definitely something I would consider immoral, and I think theres' plenty of justification for the government to step it. A relationship like that would be much more harmful then say, statutory rape between two minors.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A relationship like that is definitely something I would consider immoral, and I think theres' plenty of justification for the government to step it. A relationship like that would be much more harmful then say, statutory rape between two minors.

Of course, at the same time, should we really be saying that the government can stop something that quickly?

Now, this probably should be a nation-wide search for the two at this point, but while a 21 year old dating a 13 year old is creepy as fuck, I'd far sooner let non-sexual dating occur between a 21 year old and a 13 year old than further expand just what counts as a 'sex offender'.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Of course, at the same time, should we really be saying that the government can stop something that quickly?

Now, this probably should be a nation-wide search for the two at this point, but while a 21 year old dating a 13 year old is creepy as fuck, I'd far sooner let non-sexual dating occur between a 21 year old and a 13 year old than further expand just what counts as a 'sex offender'.
    I think that makes sense, considering the term 'sex offender' suggests that there has been some kind of sexual intercourse involved.

So legally acceptable, but not morally? Out of interest, why the latter? If two people, one being a minor, are in a consensual, non-abusive, non-sexual relationship, where's the moral issue?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fails the .5(your age)+7 rule. It is creepy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

I love that the equation actually works almost without fail.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think it's truer than do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Someone should establish a cult.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sigh.

In other news, the title of this thread makes me want to yell "The Line Is Drawn HERE! THIS IS SPAR-TA!"

Shinto on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    It is for obvious reasons a tenuous situation. We endow parents with a metric ton of rights- the most primary of which is the right to sort of act as a proxy for their children in legal matters, and statutory rape on either side is a legal matter. I guess my natural inclination is to place parents at the helm, but then again, what if a parent thinks his or her child is ready at 8 y/o... I dunno.

Parental rights are a really tricky issue for me, I still haven't figured them out.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, I know a couple, he's 20, she's 35. Under that rule, her minimum age is 24.5 or so.. is that considered creepy?

Because they're really an awesome couple.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    Hmm, I know a couple, he's 20, she's 35. Under that rule, her minimum age is 24.5 or so.. is that considered creepy?

Creepy and awesome aren't mutually exclusive.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

It's a creepy age combination. If their personal chemistry overcomes that, great. Still a creepy age combination.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'll let them know that :D

Rohaq on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I'm 31, half my age plus seven is, at best, 23.

I find women at 23 to be annoying.

... I find most women to be annoying, for that matter.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Werrick wrote: »

I'm 31, half my age plus seven is, at best, 23.

I find women at 23 to be annoying.

... I find most women to be annoying, for that matter.

Do you find 23 year old bears to be annoying? :winky:

Actually that equation gets me a 19 year old. Oddly enough the 19 year old women I've dealt with lately were pretty annoying as well. I think a better term is vapid though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a pretty big maturity range from about 19-25.

You do a great deal of growing up during this time. The problem is that some do it early, some dont do it till mid 20's...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Do you find 23 year old bears to be annoying? :winky:

I find them a-gnawing... *guffaw*

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I find some 21 year old women annoying (I'm 21 here), I found a 17 year old I went out with to be nice, but horribly fickle. Yet I'm good friends with another 17 year old girl.

In my job (phone based tech support) I've dealt with teenagers who are willing to listen to technical advice, to 60-something year old men who will hurl abuse because they forgot to pay their bill and have been temporarily blocked. I think it's more a case of individual people being annoying than anything else. From my experience, age seems to bear little relevance to mental maturity.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    If you mean to say "exploitive", "emotionally/psychologically-damaging" or "harmful", you should use those words instead of "immoral". Because depending who you ask, interracial relationships are immoral, homosexual relationships are immoral, relationships that involve a physical component before marriage are immoral, relationships with people of another faith are immoral, relationships between high-born and low-born persons are immoral, and so forth. I'm not saying that I endorse the relationship in the article quoted, I find the guy's behaviour entirely unacceptable. But I come to that conclusion based on something other than appealing to majiks floating about in the ether.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have to agree with VC. The argument of "age has little to do with maturity" only carries so much water and a 21 year old man has no business "dating" a 13 year-old girl.

"Immoral" is highly subjective.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Another vote for "ew".

Also, that equation is awesome for young'uns, but I think it starts to break down when people hit their 30s. Like, a 35 year old and a 20 year old doesn't strike me as "creepy", because both parties are entirely mature enough to be making their own decisions; it's not an exploitative relationship, it's just somewhat unconventional.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Another vote for "ew".

Also, that equation is awesome for young'uns, but I think it starts to break down when people hit their 30s. Like, a 35 year old and a 20 year old doesn't strike me as "creepy", because both parties are entirely mature enough to be making their own decisions; it's not an exploitative relationship, it's just somewhat unconventional.
    I think once you get above a certain age it downgrades from "creepy" to "weird".

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    line.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Corlis wrote: »
    Another vote for "ew".

I think once you get above a certain age it downgrades from "creepy" to "weird".

Well, more htan that, I've yet to see a truly, functional, equal relationship where the age difference was proportionally significant.

Hey... whatever works for them as long as it's not illegal or harmful in some way, but it's still kinda wierd to see some 35 year old guy with a 21 year old on his arm. There's just no way that can be an equal partnership when one of the partners is almost as old as the other's parent.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    One thing I'll say in defense of the equation is that it is kind enough to allow me to date women in their early 30s. I mean, provided they allow it, which seems unlikely, but whatever.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    One thing I'll say in defense of the equation is that it is kind enough to allow me to date women in their early 30s. I mean, provided they allow it, which seems unlikely, but whatever.

I think women right around the age of 30 are my favorite. Which works out well given my own age. :P

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are you the young one in that equation or the older one?

I'm in my mid 20s, and my wife is in her mid 30s, so we just barely violate the equation. However, the reason I'm with her is that I can't stand 90% of women under 25. Seriously, the genuine person / vacuous child ratio is terribly low under 30.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am pretty sure this was on the news a few weeks ago and the story was he got her pregnant. Or maybe its just another 13 year old female dating a 21 year old male.

You would think her parents would have done something when she brought home a guy that had to shave.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey... whatever works for them as long as it's not illegal or harmful in some way, but it's still kinda wierd to see some 35 year old guy with a 21 year old on his arm. There's just no way that can be an equal partnership when one of the partners is almost as old as the other's parent.
    Actually, in my friends' case, the guy is the younger party, and they seem pretty equal to me.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    Are you the young one in that equation or the older one?

I'm in my mid 20s, and my wife is in her mid 30s, so we just barely violate the equation. However, the reason I'm with her is that I can't stand 90% of women under 25. Seriously, the genuine person / vacuous child ratio is terribly low under 30.

I'm gonna say something really unpopular right now.

Something happens to most people at certain ages. The old expression, I believe it was Samuel Clemens that said "The older I get the smart my father becomes." or somethign to that effect. I often say that it was remarkable just how smart my dad got when I reached the age of 21. I think that effect is almost universal, or at least it's commonplace.

For some reason it also happens when a person reaches the age of about 30 or so something happens to their brain and they start to be even more open to perspective. I find myself, in the last two years or so, more and more able to consider other attitudes and ways of thinking. Priorities change and people seem to become more rounded just by virtue of... aw hell, I don't know what, but I definately notice a difference in many folks, including myself.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, but your post made me think of it.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I can see the appeal of dating a sort-of younger woman when you're in your 30s. I'm 32, my wife is 31. And man, most people our age or a little older are boring as hell. We had a couple over the other day who were (I think) 24 and 25, and they were awesome. They actually had energy and liked to screw around and act silly. Most people over 30 are just dull.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually, in my friends' case, the guy is the younger party, and they seem pretty equal to me.

What are the ages? I suppose I spoke too quickly in asserting that "in no way... blah, blah" but I feel safe in saying that it's most certainly got to be rare.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Something happens to most people at certain ages. The old expression, I believe it was Samuel Clemens that said "The older I get the smart my father becomes." or somethign to that effect. I often say that it was remarkable just how smart my dad got when I reached the age of 21. I think that effect is almost universal, or at least it's commonplace.

For some reason it also happens when a person reaches the age of about 30 or so something happens to their brain and they start to be even more open to perspective. I find myself, in the last two years or so, more and more able to consider other attitudes and ways of thinking. Priorities change and people seem to become more rounded just by virtue of... aw hell, I don't know what, but I definately notice a difference in many folks, including myself.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, but your post made me think of it.
    I can't tell if you're supporting my comment or contradicting it.

I agree with you in principal, but attaching ages to psychological development seems silly. Regardless, I think your estimates are accurate for most people, because most have events in common. The period between 18 to 21 is where you're living without your parents, so you have to be (more) responsible for yourself. After college, you have to actually start paying your own rent and you may learn that things don't get handed to you in a neat package anymore.

Some people, unfortunately, go their whole lives without learning these things.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    templewulf wrote: »

I can't tell if you're supporting my comment or contradicting it.

Neither... really... I just got thinking and posted a neat observation of what I consider to be a general phenomenon of the human condition in 21st Century North American society.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What are the ages? I suppose I spoke too quickly in asserting that "in no way... blah, blah" but I feel safe in saying that it's most certainly got to be rare.
    As mentioned earlier, she's 35, he's 20, although I think he turned 21 recently, if that helps.
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I can see the appeal of dating a sort-of younger woman when you're in your 30s. I'm 32, my wife is 31. And man, most people our age or a little older are boring as hell. We had a couple over the other day who were (I think) 24 and 25, and they were awesome. They actually had energy and liked to screw around and act silly. Most people over 30 are just dull.
    I've got to agree in most cases: Hell, I've even noticed that people in their 20s can be dull. If I think back a few years I used to enjoy my summers, go outside, meet up with friends, hang out, play football, hell even just drink (albeit less than legally) and chat in the park.

Now people can't seem to have a good time unless they're spending money, doing something big, or mass-organising something, otherwise, they seem to be content sitting on their asses and watching TV. It's kind of depressing.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's a creepy age combination. If their personal chemistry overcomes that, great. Still a creepy age combination.

I don't think it's too creepy when a couple have ten years or so apart, but they're both consenting adults. It's hypocritical, I know, but to me there's a difference between a large age difference (21 to 13), and a large age difference (35 to 23). That girl has had no time to mature, and she's being taken advantage of mentally and physically.

I'm in my mid 20's and I would definately date and older woman, and I would still date a girl in college probably, but I would feel sick even looking twice (once is alright, if they're hot) at a girl in high school, eighteen or not.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I personally find that older women are almost always more interesting, not to mention more genuine and sexually self-accepting.

ege02 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's more creepy if one party was a babysitter to the other.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MILF's r us, m i rite?

One of my friends' former interests is 19. She is dating a man, her father's friend, who is 50. Everyone around them expresses mild disapproval of the situation, but nothing extreme.

When I found out, I flipped out. I immediately advised that my friend stop pursuing her, because she has (in my mind) severe self-esteem issues and absolutely nothing good could come of it. And guess what? Nothing good came of it.

Extreme cases like that make me sick.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

My thirtysomething friends throw drinking Double Dash parties and have the most killer new year's parties I've ever seen.

I think your friends just suck.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg