Options

Does good government legislate morality?

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Something I got thinking about from the Israel thread (amazingly).

Currently, we have a lot of politicians in western countries coming to power running on some sort of "morality" platform - family values, wire taps whatever.

What I'm wondering is, is it an intractable function of government that it must legislate morality, or can most issues posed as "moral problems" actually be so justified on logical grounds that the idea of government legislating morality is just perverse.

My personal opinion on the matter is that there is no supposed "moral" issue of the 21st century which can't in fact be resolved by rational means intended to lead to a functional society - which is what I feel the function of government is. Governments are supposed to legislate a framework, not dictate personal behavior etc.

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    NO.

Next question, please.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I definitely support government having influence regarding moral issues. For example:

the immorality of slavery and segregation
    the immorality of LGBQ discrimination
    the moral importance of the right to privacy and control over one's own body

They are moral issues, on some level.

Honestly, just like slavery couldn't be left up to the states to decide, I think there are other issues (like gay marriage) that should not be left up to the states to decide.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Generally the word "morality" is only used in policy discussions when there is no good way to explain why a piece of legislation is needed; for example while most people think that theft is immoral politicians never refer to stronger anti-theft laws as a moral issue. This relegates morality to only being brought up in issues where there is no real harm done and supporters of the legislation are forced to say "But... but you can't let them do that, it's wrong."

THe purpose of the law is not to make people behave in a "morally upright" manner so much as it is to ensure that society can function, murder and theft are immoral but this is not why they are illegal: they are illegal because society could not function were they allowed.

In conclusion, anything that can only be framed as a moral issue is not something that the government should be involving itself in.

Starcross on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Most governments already legislate morality - that's what laws are. The issue is whether or not governments should be allowed to pass legislation on moral issues that are a) largely irrelevant to the operation of the state, and b) still controversial and subject to debate. In that case, I'm not sure it's possible to make a blanket statement either way, but I'm inclined towards "no".

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, there's morality and then there's morality. There are morals which are pretty universal that you do want a government enforcing, such as protection of life and against thievery and fraud. However, then there are things like Blue laws, which are probably what this thread is aimed at and are probably not that good of an idea.

I'm not sure if "legislating morality" can be answered affirmatively good or bad unless you restrict it to the pejorative sense for overly restrictive laws or those targeting a very specific set of morals. Unless you are a libertarian or anarchist there are probably some gray area morals that you would support being furthered through legislation, in keeping with what your view on what society should be and how government can aid in getting there.

Edit
    What I'm wondering is, is it an intractable function of government that it must legislate morality, or can most issues posed as "moral problems" actually be so justified on logical grounds that the idea of government legislating morality is just perverse.

My personal opinion on the matter is that there is no supposed "moral" issue of the 21st century which can't in fact be resolved by rational means intended to lead to a functional society - which is what I feel the function of government is. Governments are supposed to legislate a framework, not dictate personal behavior etc.

I really don't think it is that simple, and that rationality does not exist in a vacuum. What I mean by that is, to come to a rational decision about what optimal governments and laws are, you have to have a moral framework to valuate their effects. How much are the needs of the poor worth relative to those of the rich? How much is it worth giving up to ensure there is a safety net, and how strong do you need to make it? How much is protecting the environment worth?

All of these moral valuations are at least somewhat subjective, and will vary from person to person at least slightly. You may consider the derivations for some of the morals irrational, but you can't handwave away the need for subjective morality. Well, that is unless you are able to find objective morality, but good luck with that.

Savant on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Whenever one talks about what we should do, it necessarily invokes morality. Especially for consequentialists, that's what morality is--the rules that justify courses of action. Any time you're choosing among 'shoulds' you're invoking some moral code, whether you explicitly acknowledge it or not. So the question of "should we fund highways with federal money" is a moral question, just as much as "should I tell my wife I cheated on her?"

However, even thought the questions are similar in kind, there are some important differences. For one thing, the sorts of moral considerations we need to take into account when building highways are widely agreed upon and uncontroversial--generally, yes, we should build highways because they maximize productivity and the mutual good in a nonthreatening way, and the general consensus is that's a good thing. When considering something like same-sex marriage, on the other hand, or school prayer, the morality involved is much more contentious.

So despite the fact that all should questions are moral questions, you could maintain that the government should only be in the business of maintaining uncontroversial moral stances. I'm not sure if I entirely believe that, however, I think most people agree that government intervention in the private spheres of life is generally a bad thing, which seems to be the sort of activity being considered here.

Edit: semi-beat'd

MrMister on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    "legislating morality" and "family values" are code words. You're not quite talking about what you think you're talking about.

That said, I'm for minimal governmental intervention in social stuff. Government's purpose is to minimise the negative effects of power imbalances between people and groups as far as is practical, so I think anything beyond the ability to intervene in domestic abuse situations and the ability to regulate age of consent (to binding contracts and sexual activity) is pretty much none of their business. Its practical to have them oversee marriage-type contracts, but they shouldn't get to say who or how many can sign up together so long as the participants are of age and non-abusive.

This is not to say, however, that governments have no place offering social services like counselling and shelters. They just shouldn't be able to compel people to use them, or jump through hoops to access them. And it goes without saying that they must be unbiased.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    "legislating morality" and "family values" are code words. You're not quite talking about what you think you're talking about.

That said, I'm for minimal governmental intervention in social stuff. Government's purpose is to minimise the negative effects of power imbalances between people and groups as far as is practical, so I think anything beyond the ability to intervene in domestic abuse situations and the ability to regulate age of consent (to binding contracts and sexual activity) is pretty much none of their business. Its practical to have them oversee marriage-type contracts, but they shouldn't get to say who or how many can sign up together so long as the participants are of age and non-abusive.

This is not to say, however, that governments have no place offering social services like counselling and shelters. They just shouldn't be able to compel people to use them, or jump through hoops to access them. And it goes without saying that they must be unbiased.

If you limit it just to the codeword usage, then the question is sort of stupid. Conservatives and populists will have more of a tendency to say yes, where liberals (not in the American sense) and libertarians will have a tendency to say no.

I think there is plenty of gray area in the middle on the issue, as your examples show. Say, age of consent beyond puberty. There isn't a biological reason why developed adolescents can't procreate, although there are plenty of societal reasons for it. There is plenty of variation on the moral underpinnings of age of consent across the world and in history, as reflected in the wide variety of laws enacted about it. However, having an age of consent law is a good idea.

Savant on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I agree, I think it depends on your definition.

The assurance of basic rights and care is a governments JOB, not a moral choice. So, I believe that slavery, equal rights, etc are a the role of the govt.

Telling me that these guys over there can get married, but those guys over there cant? Thats not their job.

Ensuring that young people dont get taken advantage of sexually is the governments job (call it morals, if you like - but its just a standard of care as far as I'm concerned), banning sex between 2 consenting adults of the same sex isnt.

Right to practice any religion so long as it doesnt hurt anyone - govts job. Installing a specific religions beliefs into the law, at the expense of anothers? - Not their job.

Alot of these can have a "moral" component. i.e. slavery is BAD. But at the end of the day, the government is really there, because its a better alternative that everyone fending for themselves.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Alot of these can have a "moral" component. i.e. slavery is BAD. But at the end of the day, the government is really there, because its a better alternative that everyone fending for themselves.

The government should try its hardest to stay out of our way- unless we're playing not so nice with each other. And that means murder and rape- not name calling and racism.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Organichu wrote: »

The government should try its hardest to stay out of our way- unless we're playing not so nice with each other. And that means murder and rape- not name calling and racism.

I'm not even talking about it "staying out of our way". I accept that there are certain laws and regulations that may inconvenience me, but need to be there for the greater good - not because someone thought it was morally correct.

I'd actually consider the ability to walk down the street without being racially abused in a major way - a right that the government should try to enforce. I say try, because it would be disingenuous of me to pretend that it's very easy.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I definitely support government having influence regarding moral issues. For example . . .
    What you're getting at is a moral imperative to enforce peoples' rights and freedoms. Is this "moral"? Certainly.

The problem is when government invokes morality much like Starcross said - when they have no other justification for their plans. When the policy is pretty much completely divorced from rights and freedoms.

There should be a checklist:
    1. Does a law protect rights or freedoms?
    2. Does it increase prosperity (while not unduly harming rights and freedoms)?
    3. Does it appeal to some whitebread, church-going, traditional notion of "morality"?

The issue are those laws that only have number three going for them . . .

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    DarthMidgetDarthMidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not even talking about it "staying out of our way". I accept that there are certain laws and regulations that may inconvenience me, but need to be there for the greater good - not because someone thought it was morally correct.

But whose definition of the 'Greater Good' do we use? The 'Greater Good' of a Fundamentalist Conservative Christian Republican is going to be different from the 'Greater Good' of a Atheist Liberal Homosexual Democrat. Both of them would maintain that they would pass 'moral' laws for the 'Greater Good', but anyone would readily see that such laws would bear a striking disimilarity to one another.

The problem with Government legislating in areas of 'murky morality' is not that they 'shouldn't' or that they 'can't', but that many times they pass legislation which either alienates or angers a large segment of the population. Usually because of such disparities in the population itself over what is the 'Greater Good', and what is 'morally acceptable'.

For proof of this just examine some of the 'moral' issues brought up in this thread:

1. Slavery
    2. Homosexuality
    3. Abortion
    4. Racism
    Slavery

This 'appears' to be a no-brainer. Slavery, after all, is commonly considered in modern American society to be wrong. As it should be, IMHO, since it devalues human life, and stifles economic and technological growth. Nonetheless, slavery was a contentious moral issue in the mid 1800s. Prior to our modern age there had always been slavery in the world. Thus removing something most people considered 'normal' was contentious even among those who didn't necessarily like it. It's kind of like banning smoking. We all know its bad, but some people have a problem with taking away others 'freedoms'. Now I'm not saying I want to ban smoking, but I am just using that as a lesser example.

Now the main point I want to illustrate about slavery is that it is a contentious 'moral' issue that was only resolved after a war that nearly destroyed the nation, lasted five years, and killed more Americans than any other conflict in our history. The Civil War was so devastating that some areas of the South still lag behind the rest of the country economically. Thus, remember, that sometimes government involvement in a 'moral' issue over which a country is stringently divided can be quite costly.
    Homosexuality

There has been little direct government legistlation on the topic of Homosexuality, and there actually should not be much legislation from the government. Why? Because the Constitution already lays out sufficient rights for all men and women whether hetero or homo. There is still, however, a great deal of moral contention in the US over homosexuality. This, however, the government should do NOTHING to stop.

Why?

Because the main group(s) which oppose the proliferation of homosexuality in the United States do so using tactics and strategies protected by the U.S. Constitution. The main opponents of the homosexual communities are members of the 'Religious Right' who have their freedoms protected by the Freedom of Religion clause of the Bill of Rights. If the US government were to take a 'moral' stance, and prevent opposition to homosexuality in the US then they would have to trod upon the Constitution. While I sympathize with the plight of homosexuals in the US I value Constitutional freedoms far more than I wish to see 'tolerance' rigidly enforced.

On the subject of gay-lesbian marriage this is, essentialy, a state issue. Why? Because the United States Federal Government recognizes marriage between a man-and-a-woman only through the lense of the state system. Furthermore, the issue of gay marriage is a deeply divisive one. While I, personally, believe that homosexual couples should have marriage-equivalent rights (whether or not you wish to call it that is irrelevant to me), I do not think the US Congress should ignore the opinion of (if polls can be believed) about 75% of the US population.

One must, however, look on the bright side. Currently in our country men and women who are homosexual are more accepted than they have ever been. This, however, has had nothing to do with any sort of government legislation. It is mostly a result of homosexuals appearing in popular media as quote "normal people". This trend of acceptance and appearance will likely continue into the future, and thus I would predict that, all things being equal, we will likely see acceptance of the lifestyle and a tendency towards recognition of rights continue to grow. Thus I would say that by, I dunno, off the top of my head 2020 there being gay-marriage laws on the books in most states.
    Abortion

Ah, Abortion, one of the more lovely divisive issues in American history. To one side it is Murder, and to the other side it is a Biological Right. It is also one of the few issues in America in which there is such rampant barbarism in the persecution of both sides' claims. Violence has occured over the issue. Which is why, quite logically, the US Congress, for years, did nothing on the issue. Its a 'lose-lose' proposition for elected officials. A 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' type of scenario. Which is why the issue was ultimately decided by the Supreme Court, and not the Congress.

It is important to note, however, that the Supreme Court did not 'pass' a moral law on Abortion. The Court only said that the Constitution does not bar abortion from occuring. Thus it is a legal act unless the government were to pass a Constitutional Amendment to ban it or the Court were to review its decision. Both scenarios are intensely unlikely regardless of how much Republican conservatives might pledge to their constituents. The issue is far too divisive for the government to actually consider. Either way you go too many people would be upset.

Which is why, in effect, the legislative and executive branches have done nothing on Abortion and never will.
    Racism

This is perhaps the single most dangerous 'moral' issue that the government could ever engage in. Why? Because at its heart racism is how a person thinks. One person, who is a racist, thinks that another human, whether due to skin color or religious choice, is inferior. This belief is founded in ignorance, and is a bygone relic of a far darker period in American history. This thought process, however, must be one that the government never attempts to combat through legislation.

Why?

Racist thought is just that, a thought. If the government actually tries to change the way people think then we are setting a very dangerous precedent. In effect we are saying that it is okay for the government to punish/reward you for how you think. For, in effect, your own unique beliefs, concerns, etc. While I am sure any sane person would agree that racism is, as a general rule, bad the concept that the government might start to legislate 'thought' is much much worse.

So, should the government stop someone from being a racist? No. They should not, because when they do so they are restricting personal choice, and starting down a very dangerous path. Racism should, instead, be combated through education and outreach programs. You can't 'cure' a racist, but you can work to ensure that his children aren't like him.

Overall my thought is that the government should avoid morally contentious issues, because they generally will cause more harm than good and, in a democracy, a large segment of the population is sure to be angered by a decision one way or the other. Since the whole point of a democracy is to rule at the consent of the governed then a wildly unpopular law (morally right or not) defeats the whole moral point of democracy.

DarthMidget on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

But whose definition of the 'Greater Good' do we use? The 'Greater Good' of a Fundamentalist Conservative Christian Republican is going to be different from the 'Greater Good' of a Atheist Liberal Homosexual Democrat. Both of them would maintain that they would pass 'moral' laws for the 'Greater Good', but anyone would readily see that such laws would bear a striking disimilarity to one another.

Fire codes and traffic laws would generally be considered amoral restrictions which inconvenience individuals in order to improve public safety. Well, that and to generate revenue for the city via tickets.

moniker on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DarthMidget, a couple of issues:

- The Constitution protects free speech, but only to a point. When "free speech" starts to demonstrably harm someone it crosses a Constitutional line. Which laws are you referring to?

- Fundamental civil (human) rights shouldn't be determined by majorities.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Re: The OP:

Yes.

Re: DarthMidget:

Racism has nothing to do with religion. In a similar vein, believing that someone is inferior because of religion (as defined as, were the person in question to not posess those beliefs he would be a better person) is not an inherantly unreasonable belief.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think we're still getting the terms mixed up. Slavery isnt a "Moral" issue (as such) because its quite clearly breaching a human's right to live their life unimpeeded.

Racism is an issue when it stops someone living their life free of oppression. So someone is more than welcome to think racist thoughts, or spouting derisive rhtoric in private, but if they start abusing me on the street, or refusing to hire me for a job - simply because of the colour of my skin. I'd expect there to be something in place to tell them that its not on.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think we're still getting the terms mixed up. Slavery isnt a "Moral" issue (as such) because its quite clearly breaching a human's right to live their life unimpeeded.
    That sounds like a moral issue to me.

What terms are we getting mixed up?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think, for the purposes of the OP, we're trying to look at those laws that can justified only as "moral". I.E., there are no other arguments in their favour.

I would agree with you that a law protecting people from such an infringement on their rights and freedoms as slavery is morally right . . . but I don't think such a broad usage of "moral" is that the thread is about. Could be wrong though.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    - The Constitution protects free speech, but only to a point. When "free speech" starts to demonstrably harm someone it crosses a Constitutional line. Which laws are you referring to?

I wonder about that. As far as I'm aware, the Constitution doesn't say anything about a need to protect people from harm, nor does the First Amendment mention any exceptions for speech in the same manner as the exception to the right of assembly (they must be peaceable). By a strict interpretation of the Constitution, there should be no legal limits whatsoever on anything that can be considered speech.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

The distinction I was making (purely with regards to the OP) is that I feel a better reason is needed than "because I think its morally wrong". Its making the assumption that the government is there for the interests of all its citizens, not to promote one moral outlook.

So, an example where I think the govt shouldn't legislate:

Question:
    Why cant I marry a dude?

Answer:
    Because the govt says its morally wrong, regardless of whether or not it bothers anyone else.

My Opinion:
    The Government shouldn't do things like this.

An Area where its OK:

Question:
    Why cant I get loaded then drive my car?

Answer:
    Because you might hurt someone else, and they have the right to be safe.

I'm not beirng particularly articulate today, but does that clear things up? I'm not saying its morally OK to keep slaves. I'm saying thats not why the government stops it, because if popular opinion thought that it was morally OK - then the government would allow it.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I wonder about that. As far as I'm aware, the Constitution doesn't say anything about a need to protect people from harm, nor does the First Amendment mention any exceptions for speech in the same manner as the exception to the right of assembly (they must be peaceable). By a strict interpretation of the Constitution, there should be no legal limits whatsoever on anything that can be considered speech.

To be honest, I don't know what the exact reasoning is either, but there's a Constitutional reason that setting fire to a burning cross at night on the front lawn of an African-American family's house is not considered free speech, but rather criminal intimidation.

Also: you can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater when there isn't a fire and claim immunity from prosecution based on free speech.

Also, backing up Fallingman: it is possible for a law to be "moral" and philosophically rational at the same time, but I submit that usually the arguments for such a law's morality are based on very different reasoning than its legal justification.

For example: It is illegal to murder someone because they have a right to preservation of their life under US law.
    It is also immoral to murder someone in Christianity (and most secular moral philosophies) because murder violates a religious/philosophical belief.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Also, backing up Fallingman: it is possible for a law to be "moral" and philosophically rational at the same time, but I submit that usually the arguments for such a law's morality are based on very different reasoning than its legal justification.

For example: It is illegal to murder someone because they have a right to preservation of their life under US law.
    It is also immoral to murder someone in Christianity (and most secular moral philosophies) because murder violates a religious/philosophical belief.

Thats what I was after.

Hmmm.
    I'm assuming that everyone's talking about the US constitution? I'm afraid that aside from being aware you have one... I have no idea what its all about, or how it relates tot he OP.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't see how morality can be separated from politics. The idea is silly.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    A proper government exists to serve the people, not to tell them what to believe. Legislating morality, and by that I mean writing laws based on a set of arbitrary axioms instead of some sort of consistent logic (i.e; the shit politicians are doing that's stirring up this particular fuss), is equivalent to legislating religion (in the sense of "be a Protestant or we'll fine you and maybe put you in jail").

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I see your point. I just treated the question as a more macro spin on the whole "is it right to force your morals onto others" argument.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I see your point. I just treated the question as a more macro spin on the whole "is it right to force your morals onto others" argument.

Meh. This itself is just another moral argument. They are all moral arguments.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Thats what I was after.

Hmmm.
    I'm assuming that everyone's talking about the US constitution? I'm afraid that aside from being aware you have one... I have no idea what its all about, or how it relates tot he OP.

Well, theoretically here in the USA we have a separation of religion and government. In practice, people disregard this idea all the time---in particular it seems (to me) to be completely ignored/devalued by the sizable conservative Christian minority. The reason this is important is because any nation like ours that claims secular authority for its law necessarily needs to make sure that all laws have a secular justification. It's okay for murder to be illegal because it violates the secular right to life along with various religions' moral beliefs, but simultaneously it's not okay for smae-sex marriage to be illegal only because Christianity doesn't think it's moral.

I think this tension--secular vs. religious basis of law--is universal in that every democratic government has to address it. If a democratic country decides that it has an official state religion, such as the UK, then the tension is relieved somewhat because then there's a different legitimate moral source for law.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    So despite the fact that all should questions are moral questions, you could maintain that the government should only be in the business of maintaining uncontroversial moral stances. I'm not sure if I entirely believe that, however, I think most people agree that government intervention in the private spheres of life is generally a bad thing, which seems to be the sort of activity being considered here.

I think I agree with this, and I'd like to expand on it.

There are very few things the government does that aren't controversial. I mean, even tax rates are uncontroversial, and they're not exactly a major moral issue. Of course, it's true that while every "should" question has a moral component, the moral component isn't always - indeed, I'd say it's only infrequently - the thing sparking disagreement.

We accept that schools are a good thing - that's uncontroversial. But should we allow school vouchers? Well, that's controversial, but it's not a moral controversy. The moral component, however you choose to define it, is pretty much agreed upon by everyone, and that makes the question one that can justifiably be broached by the government. The question is more about the best way to achieve what everyone agrees is a good goal.

I think the government is at its best when it's acting on morally unambiguous issues that present all sorts of controversial logistical issues. How should we tailor our social programs to maximize prosperity? How should we tailor our tax code to maximize prosperity? How should we structure our government to best respond to the problems and requests of its citizenry? And so on. If the only things at stake from acting on an issue are which people are going to be pissed off, then the government should pretty much always err on the side of liberty - ie, it should stay out of it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Politics is derived from Morality. The belief in Justice is a moral question. The belief in human rights is a moral question. Human rights, by definition are an ethical choice, because while they can be violated it is always morally wrong to do so.

So yes, politics is about legislating morality. It should not be about legislating 'indecency' or social moors, which is sometimes considered morally outrageous, or mysticism, which is tangentially related to morality to begin with. These are culturally specific outlooks that are not moral questions.
    ==
    Politics should also be about practical questions as well, but for the most part it is a moral sport. A law that abolishes slavery is a moral legislation. A law that gives subsidized health care to children is moral legislation, though of a different sort. Even taxation is a problem of morality.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes, everything is about morality if we deliberately use as broad a definition for the word as possible rather than one that allows for a distinction between arbitrarily selected rules backed up by the threat of lightning-bolts from magical beings that live in the part of the sky that's above the air but not space and some sort of logical derivation of the objectives of an agreement between people to coexist.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I assumed that the spirit of the OP referred to the question of whether Governments should be used to further a particular moral view over others.

Or we can just keep arguing the merits of the question itself, and the nature of morality...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I guess my take is that the morality we want to avoid legislating is usually, specifcally, sexual morality. If we're talking about slavery, or murder, or stuff like that, we're talking about actual morality, values which the society holds for their clear protective benefits. When we get into concerns about reproductive issues and sexual behavior between consenting adults, we get into the realm of sexual morality, which usually turns out not to be morality at all but rather a socialized expression of certain deep-seated cultural fears and resentments about sex. It's like calling anti-semitism "racial morality."

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes, everything is about morality if we deliberately use as broad a definition for the word as possible rather than one that allows for a distinction between arbitrarily selected rules backed up by the threat of lightning-bolts from magical beings that live in the part of the sky that's above the air but not space and some sort of logical derivation of the objectives of an agreement between people to coexist.

Ethics is necessarily a broad field. It is only a code of behavior to determine how people should live, in all circumstances everywhere. In some philosophies it even encompasses aesthetics.

The original post was too broad, and really wanted the question of "Should Politics legislate cultural normative values that are not necessarily philosophically or logically defensible." I disagree, but I'm in a very real sense a proponent of a unified human race which requires the deconstruction of segmented culture, language, and borders. There are plenty of people who are not.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    darthmix wrote: »
    I guess my take is that the morality we want to avoid legislating is usually, specifcally, sexual morality. If we're talking about slavery, or murder, or stuff like that, we're talking about actual morality, values which the society holds for their clear protective benefits. When we get into concerns about reproductive issues and sexual behavior between consenting adults, we get into the realm of sexual morality, which usually turns out not to be morality at all but rather a socialized expression of certain deep-seated cultural fears and resentments about sex. It's like calling anti-semitism "racial morality."

This view is inconsistent or incomplete. Sexual behavior that is moral, must necessarily be treated same as any other moral behavior.

Rape, for instance, is a moral issue that is a sexual issue as well; yet we legislate against rape.

I have no qualms with a person arguing that legislation should legislate against sexually immoral behavior. My qualms is that which they consider to be sexually immoral is either not immoral, or if it is, is considering it to be immoral would be inconsistent with other moral beliefs they hold (often including the concept of individualism).

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Ethics is necessarily a broad field. It is only a code of behavior to determine how people should live, in all circumstances everywhere. In some philosophies it even encompasses aesthetics.

The original post was too broad, and really wanted the question of "Should Politics legislate cultural normative values that are not necessarily philosophically or logically defensible." I disagree, but I'm in a very real sense a proponent of a unified human race which requires the deconstruction of segmented culture, language, and borders. There are plenty of people who are not.

That's lovely but it doesn't make your remarks anything but an attempt to silence the intended question.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This view is inconsistent or incomplete. Sexual behavior that is moral, must necessarily be treated same as any other moral behavior.

Rape, for instance, is a moral issue that is a sexual issue as well; yet we legislate against rape.

I have no qualms with a person arguing that legislation should legislate against sexually immoral behavior. My qualms is that which they consider to be sexually immoral is either not immoral, or if it is, is considering it to be immoral would be inconsistent with other moral beliefs they hold (often including the concept of individualism).
    I always thought of rape as an issue of assault rather than an issue of sex. It's the "assault" part of rape that runs it afoul of the law, not the "sex" part.

darthmix on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    darthmix wrote: »

I always thought of rape as an issue of assault rather than an issue of sex. It's the "assault" part of rape that runs it afoul of the law, not the "sex" part.

Age of consent might have been a more appropriate example than rape.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All boils down to how to define morality

these days it's code for "rabid funide agenda"

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What if the government legislates on moral issues without legislating morality?

for example (and this is entirely hypothetical since i can't come up with anything better), heroin. Say that the government makes heroin illegal not because it's immoral to use heroin, but rather because it makes you act in a manner that is dangerous to the people around you. sure you can argue that the "real" morality that the state is legislating is that i should behave in a way that does not endanger the people around me, but i think you're reaching.

I think that the issue of the state legislating morality isn't an issue of them legislating on a moral issue, but rather that they legislate a certain way because of a perceived immorality. if they happened to have outlawed slavery for non moral reasons, then they aren't legislating morality.

in response to the opening post, that's a tricky question. I've noticed, studying ethics, that people are really resistant to even rational discourse on what is or is not right (in a moral sense), thus legislating based on morality is also something that people are going to be resistant to. Until humanity has "grown up" and is capable of actual large scale argument on the matter, legislating due to moral imperatives is not something that the government should do.

makes me feel dirty inside my socialist soul to say that....

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche