Options

What would you do if you had a million dollars?

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What good is gold going to do in case of a nuclear/zombie holocaust?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

I would like to know the answer to this to.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I would like to know the answer to this to.

Metal bars might work well as bludgeoning weapons.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Put one in a sock.

Better stockpile some socks.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, it was kind of a half-joke. However, I guess the idea is that if there is some sort of apocalyptic event, all forms of paper currency will likely become useless, and rare metals/gems might be useful for bartering and stuff. Although really, salt would probably be more valuable than gold anyway, so maybe it'd be just salt.

In any case, the final hundred grand WOULD be spent on preparing for disasters and stuff. It's paranoid, I know, but I'm a paranoid kind of guy. I would probably stock up on non-perishable supplies, purchase a nice big generator and plenty of gas to keep it running for a good long time, maybe build a bomb-shelter if I'm feeling especially paranoid. Ever since evacuating from Hurricane Rita a couple years ago, I've realized the importance of disaster preperation. 100 Grand might be a lot, but if I just suddenly end up with a million dollars, I'd have no problem dropping a tenth of that to be prepared, just in case.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably finance my own independent movie. Whatever was left over would be spent on hookers and beer.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    dvshermandvsherman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably finance my own independent movie. Whatever was left over would be spent on hookers and beer.

Why not just spend it all on hookers and beer, minus the cost of a good hand camera, film THAT, and then sell it off as an independent movie?

dvsherman on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Because I actually want to make a movie?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    dvshermandvsherman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Oh. Alright then. Have it your way. :P

Going back a page or two, I want to throw in another vote for "willingness to earn my passage on a Pirate ship."

dvsherman on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Buy a hybrid car, Rent a nice apartment close to the college, continue to go to college for however long I feel like (which is a long time right now, I love everything about the student lifestyle except the financial strain and the tight class schedule. I would cut the number of classes Im taking in half and extend my student career into probably a decade long exploration of subjects and fluff art classes), get a nice home theatre setup and furniture, quit my job and subsist of the remaining interest until I can find a better way to invest it (I am a complete noob when it comes to handling money).

Shurakai on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Buy a hybrid car, Rent a nice apartment close to the college, continue to go to college for however long I feel like (which is a long time right now, I love everything about the student lifestyle except the financial strain and the tight class schedule. I would cut the number of classes Im taking in half and extend my student career into probably a decade long exploration of subjects and fluff art classes), get a nice home theatre setup and furniture, quit my job and subsist of the remaining interest until I can find a better way to invest it (I am a complete noob when it comes to handling money).

You could be like Buster Bluth.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh and get married. Can't forget that I will finally have a bit of financial security so I can finally risk getting into a serious relationship. Women are expensive.

Edit: I never did like Arrested Development.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Store it away in a high return account until I die, where then my will stipulates it goes to charity X.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If I won 10 million dollars I would give some of it away. I would pay off my parents mortgage and buy my brother his car that he's always wanted (an RX-8). Probably get everyone else in the family something expensive as well so they don't feel left out. I would have no idea where to start for charities though. Probably something to do with books and kids and education or something.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

new topic.

what?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    aw man, i clicked on this thread all giddy, knowing my exact answer...!

damn you, OP.

you've ruined my dreams.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    forbis316 wrote: »
    I'd eventually build a nice, small, Energy-Star compliant home (solar powered!).

Energy star is for appliances, you're thinking of LEED.

moniker on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My aunt sold a beautiful home in Staten Island, NY for half of what it was worth to live with her family in Florida. I will either buy it back or repair a run down home nearby.*

*There is a run down home where the whole family committed suicide over time due to money troubles. My mom keeps telling me never to buy it because it's haunted.**

**Bullshit.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »

new topic.

what?

I had to wikipedia Buster Bluth, who seems to be a character from Arrested Development.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »

new topic.

what?

I had to wikipedia Buster Bluth, who seems to be a character from Arrested Development.

D:

moniker on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The band was awesome; the show, overrated.

I could piss a million into boring investments and such and it would be gone before I ever saw much of a change in my life. $300 million is a more interesting number.

Yar on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I seem to recall that we had a $10 million thread. Now there was something you could sink your teeth into. It's a sad realization that a single million isn't the wealth you'd think it is.

Gim on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd make a movie with an actual budget for once.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dude, this thread has basically concluded $1 million means you never have to work to stay alive again.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You wouldn't be rich through. 10 million would make it alot easier to live the high life.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First thing would be to pay off the college loans.
    Second thing would be to get my private pilot license.
    Third would be a new car.

I know 1 million isn't nearly enough for this... but I've always wanted some kind of underground lair. Or maybe a huge castle with a moat. Or since its only 1 million, maybe just a moat around a regular house. With gators in the moat. And a drawbridge.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You wouldn't be rich through. 10 million would make it alot easier to live the high life.

Yes, but who needs la dolce vita to simply be comfortable. Hell, I'd still be working if I had a million dollars simply because I like what I do and would want to keep busy. At the very least I'd just move over to the more academic aspects and just get involved in the community more so I wouldn't be bored to death in my not quite lush home.

moniker on
  • Options
    madstork91madstork91 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Finish and fund a few projects that ive been working on.

I would make a lil more than the investment off of it, then offer it for free and win many internets for this.

FTW.

madstork91 on
    tg2po0.gif Tech reviews, another forum to talk in... w/e.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dude, this thread has basically concluded $1 million means you never have to work to stay alive again.

Yes, but if you mess up with investments to a certain degree, you're sunk. Don't get me wrong, if I were given a million with no taxes taken out, I'd spend the rest of my life being careful and grateful. But with ten million, well, you can do some indulging and investing and still be relatively safe.

Gim on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd quit my job and get a one room apartment and live off of apples and read books for as long as I could.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would invest, then travel around the world. I might also put some money aside to start-up a business. A million buckaroos isn't as much as it used to be, y'know... especially American dollary-doos.

In fact... €3 million would be fine... leave it sit in the bank and get roughly €8,000 a week on interest alone \o/

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    I seem to recall that we had a $10 million thread. Now there was something you could sink your teeth into. It's a sad realization that a single million isn't the wealth you'd think it is.

The only reason a million dollars isn't what people think it is, is because they'd end up spending it on utterly stupid shit rather than practical investments that can completely change their lives forever.

I don't know about anyone else here, but i've heard lots of stories about people who've won fairly sizable lotteries of 2-3 million dollars (granted, after taxes it ends up being like 1.5-2 million, but still) and been flat broke a few years later. Then they'll go on TV and tell people that that kind of money doesn't stretch as far people think it would. BS. They were just too retarded or too overcome with a lust for expensive items.

A million dollars is NOT the level of money where you're going to be eating cavier and driving sports cars. It IS at the level where you can retire 20+ years earlier and live a wonderful middle-class life. How do people not get that?

Seriously, donate a million dollars to me, i'll show you how much use you can get out of it =P.

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    $1 million = fun
    $10 million = much more fun

Now which fantasy makes for the more interesting thread?

HMM.

Gim on
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    $1 million = fun
    $10 million = much more fun

Now which fantasy makes for the more interesting thread?

HMM.

Yeah, yeah =P

I don't know, I kind of find what people would do with lower amounts of money to be more interesting than huge sums. With millions upon millions of dollars people'll choose everything and anything. With a lower amount, people start diverging in what they'd do with it and how they'd use it to make their present/future better.

Personally I think a $300,000 thread would probably make a more intruiging thread than a $10 mil one.

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fair enough.

I'd trade my $300,000 to a guy for his $1 million and then come back to this thread.

Gim on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    And the answer CAN'T involve two chicks and/or doing nothing at all. ;)

Hahah. We're so simpleminded. If you went to a caveman and asked him what he wanted, it'd be a quick conversastion; (courtesy of Louis Ramey)

"What is it that you really like?"

"Woman!"

"Yeah, but what's better than that?"

"Two woman!"

"Yeah, but other than-"

"FIVE WOMAN!"

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Given sufficient funds, I would build a working transformer.

Shinto on
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    forbis316 wrote: »
    I'd eventually build a nice, small, Energy-Star compliant home (solar powered!).

Energy star is for appliances, you're thinking of LEED.

Energy Star is for homes too: http://www.energystar.gov/ Thanks for the heads-up on LEED, though. It appears to be more robust.

My home would be both Energy Star and LEED compliant.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If I were suddenly awarded one million dollars, I would sell pretty much all of my belongings, buy myself one of these, get appropriate mountain and canyon flying instruction, then spend years exploring the state of Alaska by way of air. If the money ran out, I'd get my Commercial certificate and get paid to haul people and post from Anchorage to the bush.

img_645726.jpg

Reckless on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First thing I would buy is a 1953 Cadillac Orleans. After that purchase I wouldn't really care too much considering that's been my only real dream for a while.

I suppose I would then get Paramore to fly out here and put on a show for my girlfriend and in the middle of it have them sing a song I've written in which the question is asked. Or something equally lame like that.

Then I would sincerely invest it and live off of it. After financial stability I would then travel to every amusement park and attempt to be someone who has ridden every roller coaster in the world.

Crayon on