As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jordyn's New DCAU Hullabaloo (Updated 6/18)

JordynJordyn Really, Commander?Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
Hello everyone.

I think that most of you, or maybe some of you, or at least two of you will remember my old JLU/DCAU thread from way back when in which I wrote commentaries on some episodes. I think I was pretty gung-ho for like a week before I passed out from hittin' the sauce too much, and they found me on floor talking to Batman who wasn't there.

BUT!

I am trying this again!

And this time, I am even more gung-ho than the last time, and I went through a 12-step program to take care of the whole sauce thing. I have 4 commentaries done and ready to go, and I have even crafted a livejournal which has all the old ones and the new ones will be going up there as I complete them and post them here.

http://jordyns-dcau.livejournal.com/

It would be pretty cool if you guys would spread this around and get some people reading it or something. Or add me to your friends if you have a LJ yourself. Or, not. I mean...yeah. Ok.

In addition to commentaries, I will be writing spotlights on various cast and crew members, characters, vehicles, etc. I will write about various DCAU merchandise, and cropping things from my stack of DCAU comics.

The LJ (and this thread) will be updated with new commentaries or spotlights every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays there will be a comic scan in the LJ (if you guys want, I'll post those here too), and Sundays will be reserved for whatever I feel like. And if I feel like nothing, it'll be nothing!

Last time, Fram and I also made a couple podcasts. We are certainly still interested in doing that, but we had a big problem last time with absolutely horrendous sound quality from trying to share one crappy mic. When we cease being impoverished, we plan on buying some better quality USB headsets.

Anyway, first commentary will go up in about...oh, 30 seconds when my post timer resets, and from there you guys can leave questions, comments, and credit card numbers.

ADDED AN EASY TO USE Episode Archive

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
Jordyn on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yay!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ya know, I think I bought my Batman Beyond Vol 2 DVD set way too close to Canada or something because I always have to turn off the goddamn French subtitles, what the hell.

Today we're going to examine the episode, "Where's Terry?" But never fear, through this helpful guide, I will ensure that we always know exactly where Terry is.

The episode begins with Terry, Dana, Howard, and Max leaving a movie theater, after seeing Casablanca, apparently. I imagine it was a remake, because by this point in the future, there actually aren't any more new ideas.

groupshot.jpg

The group goes their seperate ways and Terry heads to the subway where he spies a suspicious looking character:

suspiciousguy.jpg

The next day in school, Terry is missing! And everyone is asking...

Where's Terry?

emptydesk.jpg

Terry, as it would turn out, is in the subway buried under a pile of rumble. A young misfit runaway with an attitude is quite insistent that Terry leave. The child is wearing a bandage around his arm; I imagine he gave blood recently. Even though they don't poke you that high. Maybe he got a tattoo that is still healing. Or maybe it's an old tattoo that says "MOM" but then he realized that he hated his parents, and that was why he ran away. The kid's name is Dak, although his actual name is Darius something something who cares it's the future and we're lucky we're not all just numbered.

TalkingtoDak.jpg

In the meantime, Bruce is all "what the hell, what do I pay him for, goddammit, we got crimes that need busting sonofa..." He goes to Max's house. A lot of viewers don't like Max. What with her pink hair, and annoying everything and black armband that says "someone just died" or "I'm against war" or "I demand freedom of speech in my high school" or "It's the future and we dress weird." She tells Bruce that Terry was in the subway and Bruce starts walking there but Max is all boohoo take me with you I wanna fight crime tooooo. Bruce is a total dick to her. Total dick. Just a total goddamn sonofabitch dick. I would marry him in a second.

BruceandMax.jpg

While this is going down, we find out that the Shriek is afoot again and he's doing something to the tunnels or something I don't know, he's a prick. And he's got an earring that screens welcome to the late 90's. Like he's at a futuristic Ren Faire only it's all 1990 stuff since it's ya know, futuristic. And the earring is in his right ear. Does that still mean you're gay? Or do people just put earrings wherever? I mean in the future, who knows but really I don't even know where that trend has gone now. I can barely tell left from right, I have to do the L thing with my hands.

Shrieksearring.jpg

Back in the subway tunnel where Terry and Dak are trapped, Terry's looking for a way out. He can't find one, he tries blowing up a wall, it don't go so well, he finds a hole in the ceiling but blew his entire explosive load on the other wall so crap.

lookingforwayout.jpg

Bruce and Max are still looking for clues, when Bruce sees the T's and one of them, oh no, has Terry's backpack! Max and Bruce follow them.

Now, in cartoons when there's large stadiums of people or groups of people on a sidewalk or just background characters who are making noise, the voice actors do a thing called "walla." It's mostly them saying nonsense stuff, but a few actual phrases usually slip through. This episode has the best one. THE BEST. As the T's are walking by this guy, they sort of harrass him. One T says "hey check this guy out" and another says in the best voice, "heh heh heh nice vest."

NiceVest.jpg

Holy god, I laughed at that. Here's some hooligans for you, ridiculing that nice man's vest!

Bruce knocks on their little hideout and asks to buy the backpack. The T's, who are just such morons my god, insist that he pay them not ten, but twenty credits! Bruce probably has billions. He offers them thirty if they also tell him where they got it. The T's get a bit rowdy and tackle Bruce. Max, who was waiting outside, comes in and maces a couple of them, at which point Bruce starts wailing on them with his cane. It's a goddamn Batcane. He asks one of them where they got the pack and when he refuses to answer, Bruce asks Max to leave them alone. And Bruce fucking Batman's the information out of him, holy shit he is kickass.

Back in the subway, blah blah, this kid is so bad and mean he doesn't want to be Batman, he wants to be a supervillain! Terry's giant heart of gold wins him over though, after he insist the kid go through the whole in the ceiling and get him some help. Right as he pops up through the hole though, fuck! It's Shriek! He takes Dak back to his layer where Dak accidentally lets it slip that he knows where Batman is, and it doesn't occur to Shreik that maybe he's back in the hole the kid just popped out of.

Let's have a quick refresher regarding the location of Terry, courtesy our good friend Skeets:

skeets.jpg

Thanks Skeets!

Over in Dicksville, Bruce does an amazingly dickish thing. He tells Max that he'll distract some construction workers so she can sneak into the subway. He's all "you wanna help? Ok! I got the coolest thing for you to do!" As he talks to the construction guys, he points out Max trying to sneak past them, and as they run after her, he slips away into the subway. Hahaha. You see what he does? He raises your hopes, only to strike them down! And get you in trouble! Hahaha again!

Shriek at this point has asked the kid to take him to Batman, so Dak says yeah sure, and takes him to a wall that he says Batman is behind. Shreik goes to blast it with his funny lookin' suit and oh crap, there's a bunch of water!

DakandShriek.jpg

The water rushes everywhere and breaks the hole enough for Terry to fit through, and that Batsuit has this totally awesome oxygen mask that pops out.

oxygenmask.jpg

There's some great animation in the episode of Terry leaping down a big shaft to save Dak, where the deployment of his batrope is just smooth as silk and makes me warm inside just watching it.

Terry pulls Dak up to solid ground again, but oh crap! Shriek has the drop on them! He starts gassing on about this or that, giving Bruce time to sneak up on him and smack in the head with his Batcane!

So the day is saved and Max got a taste of the ol' Bruce Wayne charm (I mean getting arrested.)

MaxArrested.jpg

Terry arrives home after being up two nights in a row, which must suck unbelievably. He's all ready to go to bed and his mom is like "oh, you're making your bed before going to school, excellent!"

TerryIsRightHere.jpg

And that is where Terry is at.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hooray!

Jordyn what is your favourite DCAU music piece? I think my most favourite is the Batman/Superman Hour, but I also like Batman and Robin Adventures and Starcrossed I mean they are nearly all excellent.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I love the Batman/Superman Adventures theme; it makes me want to go ride a horse.

However, we did play the Starcrossed theme at our wedding when the wedding party entered. And Lolita Ritmanis almost cried when we told her this at Comic-Con last year.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow that is pretty awesome.

I have most of the themes on my mp3 player and I listen to them sometimes. :oops: Except for Static Shock which is good but not really my kinda thing. And the uh...Zeta Project theme but to be honest from my memories of that show it was terrible.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Holy Crap, it also has your old reviews!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My version of the JLU theme cuts off at the end... abruptly.

Anywhoo- good to have you back with these, Jordyn. Your keen insight and descriptive narrations really expose the heart of the story, and make one think.

:) Keep 'em coming!

Tach on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Holy shit Jordyn you also take notes that are meant to entertain when you review stuff, too.

I am always doing that.

Super rad.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you guys want the comic scans in this thread too or would you be ok with just viewing my journal for them?

It just feels weird putting something new in this thread almost every damn day, but if you guys want that, that is what I'll do.

Also, I'm going to put the old entries behind LJ-cuts probably later today because fuck that is a lot of images.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Personally, I'd actually rather just visit the journal every day.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Jordyn what is your favourite DCAU music piece? I think my most favourite is the Batman/Superman Hour, but I also like Batman and Robin Adventures and Starcrossed I mean they are nearly all excellent.

I'm going to have to go with the Justice League (not Unlimited!) theme. It's regal and awe-inspiring, particularly when coupled with the iconic representations of the Big Seven.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    blog is fine just leave the link in the OP

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think I agree with that. I'd probably prefer if you'd just post that you'd updated the journal instead of copying a commentary over to here as well.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    :applaud:

Scooter on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is pretty rad. I love me some Batman cartoons.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just remembered how I quite liked the Western version of the Justice League theme from Weird Western Tales.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God Jordyn.
    No one fucking cares.
    I mean what the fuck, woman.
    These are awesome please do more

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The link is also always in my sig too. I just felt like since I started doing these things for you guys in the first place, I should make sure you guys still get them.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I am a little bit sad that there are hardly any DCAU DVDs on sale here. There's BTAS v1, 2, Phantasm and Batwoman and that's it, apart from random single episodes on DVD from various series.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    put the stuff in here because otherwise this thread will die and World Civil War Hulk "WHO DO YOU AGREE WITH" will take over the forums

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ok, M/W/F entries will go here and the LJ, scans will just go in the LJ.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Keith I spent a whole week on the Newsarama forums because PA got blocked, and that was pretty much what I saw.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    god i don't want to click on livejournals

i mean

i didn't even read this

I just looked at the pictures

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ITT we learn why Keith likes him the picture books with the punching in them

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i read literature

i read all seven harry potter books cover to cover

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ITT Keith finds a different place to stay for PAX.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The DCAU is one of my favorite things ever.

Jordyn's reviews are another.

I am glad they are back.

Skullo on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That was awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this again!

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    i read literature

i read all seven harry potter books cover to cover

i thought you said you read literature

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    ITT Keith finds a different place to stay for PAX.

okay, sheri and i will switch

you can have fun mopping up Smart Hero's drool

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jordyn would you say that Static Shock receives less love than it deserves? Because I have recently watched the first few episodes and it seems like a pretty fun show.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    fuck Static Shock's theme song

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of Static, tune in next Friday.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah the theme song isn't great.

Ooooh Jordyn which one are you going to do? I haven't got to any of the DCAU crossovers yet, I think the last one I watched was the racism one.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MOTHER

FUCKING

HOOP

SQUAD

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I need to find Hoop Squad!

They need to put that damn show out on DVD already.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is Hoop Squad the basketball one that Dwayne McDuffie said turned out a bit rubbish

cherv1 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He told us (me, jordyn, fram) that it was really fun to do.

so I don't know about rubbish...

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok well according to an interview with him it was fun but turned out not great:
    On the other hand, "Hoop Squad" was just a train wreck. Actually, more like a head on collision of two trains full of stink bombs. I don't think anyone much wanted to do the episode but the studio was always so nice to the show that when they asked us to do it, we sort of took one for the team. It was really fun meeting Karl Malone, though. Not only was he a great guy who good-naturedly struggled through the ridiculous technobabble we wrote for his character, he stayed after and signed autographs for everybody.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    These are nice, Jordyn, thank you.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png