Options

Top 5 Scientific Endeavours

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Two formats for this thread. The first is just list what you think are the top 5 scientific endeavours currently being undertaken in the world. The alternative is to list what you think should be our top 5 scientific endeavors, in order of how you would favor them with funding.

The ones I'd like to see are:

1. Nuclear fission reactor development.
2. Proteomics research (lol cure cancer)
3. Large Hadron Collider.
4. ITER and other fusion research
5. Heavy lift rocketry.

You might note I've gone for big ticket physics items rather then little stuff which would favor my nanotechnological bent, but when you're going to think top 5 you've gotta think of the big stuff.

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My picks for a better tomorrow

1. Quantum Computing
    2. Genetic Engineering/Modification
    3. Finding a good alternative to gasoline
    4. Figuring out this whole string theory/other dimensions/etc stuff going on in physics
    5. Stopping the aging process

Scooter on
  • Options
    silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    5. Heavy lift rocketry.

You might note I've gone for big ticket physics items rather then little stuff which would favor my nanotechnological bent, but when you're going to think top 5 you've gotta think of the big stuff.

Quantum Computing + Nanotech = ITER success = Large Hadron Collider success = Easy escape-velocity spacecrafts = win.

Infact, just Quantum Computing + Nanotech = ITER success = win, with almost limitless on-earth potential.

silversh4d0w on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Two formats for this thread. The first is just list what you think are the top 5 scientific endeavours currently being undertaken in the world. The alternative is to list what you think should be our top 5 scientific endeavors, in order of how you would favor them with funding.

The ones I'd like to see are:

5. Heavy lift rocketry.

C'mon dude, carbon tubing. Who needs rocket science when we've got our elevator to the moon?

Low Key on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Things I would like to see:

Space elevator

Stop aging

Terraforming

Figure the brain out

And... uh...

Teleportation

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, there's no way I'd ever let anyone teleport me.

Walrus on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wuss.

Wussy wuss.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm pretty sure teleportation just means killing you and then building a copy. Hell with that, just make a copy of me over there and I can go back to bed.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure teleportation just means killing you and then building a copy. Hell with that, just make a copy of me over there and I can go back to bed.

Don't start this again

Or, start a new thread for it

Because it will consume this one if you do not

On topic: The big realms of important science seem to be energy sources, space exploration/colonization, medicine, and computing power. Or at least, these are the sexy realms.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    No more teleporting posts, or I'll have to fetch the Big Stick

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    No more teleporting posts, or I'll have to fetch the Big Stick

One of two things is happening here, either my funny-meter is off this morning (which is entirely possible) or there were arguments about teleportation that I missed that were particularily heated and therefore are considered foul ball.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    True Artificial Intelligence
    Gene based medicine
    Non-chemical space propulsion systems
    Space elevator
    High efficiency solar energy collection
    Holodeck (hey, a man can dream, can't he?)

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God, this thread is going to go off the rails in a hurry.

My Top 5

1. True advanced Artificial Intelligence (Not just the play Poker variety);
    2. Alternative clean fuel source;
    3. Genetic Engineering/Modification;
    4. Deep space research, including the exploration of other solar systems;
    5. Teleportation.

Of course, I have a better chance of spraying gold out of a random orifice on my body and any of those five becoming a reality in my lifetime.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm curious what people mean by "true" artificial intelligence.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Space elevators? Pshwah! Space Piers are where it's at. Way cheaper, way smaller, less likely to snap and more visually impressive (a one hundred kilometer high structure that's three hundred k long, made of synthetic diamond? Yes please).

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

An artificial human brain, or something equivalent. As opposed to the artificial intelligence that I am fighting against when I play Command and Conquer.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

An artificial human brain, or something equivalent. As opposed to the artificial intelligence that I am fighting against when I play Command and Conquer.
    This may be taking the thread off topic a bit but isn't the difference between those things just a matter of degree than approach? True A.I. is just better A.I., it isn't a discrete difference it is just a vague mark on a continuum.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you enjoy being curious what people mean by "true" artificial intelligence?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This may be taking the thread off topic a bit but isn't the difference between those things just a matter of degree than approach? True A.I. is just better A.I., it isn't a discrete difference it is just a vague mark on a continuum.

You may be right but I don't think there is any doubt that when people in this thread say artificial intelligence, we are talking about a technological mind that is self aware to the extent that a human mind is.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You may be right but I don't think there is any doubt that when people in this thread say artificial intelligence, we are talking about a technological mind that is self aware to the extent that a human mind is.

I think the gold standard right now is 'comprehension'. You can have AI react to stimuli, but you can't have it explain it's actions outside a set of rules built into it's system.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think the gold standard right now is 'comprehension'. You can have AI react to stimuli, but you can't have it explain it's actions outside a set of rules built into it's system.
    You have a fair point. I was just thinking that better A.I. would most likely just be a side product of Quantum Computing. Proper awareness though would be a goal in itself.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1. Anti Gravity/ Artificial Gravity.
    2. Cure for caner/aids/common cold etc.
    3. Space exploration and everything it entails (propulsion, better food, bigger windows, the whole 9)
    4. A.I.
    5. Undoing all the pollution and harm done to the environment.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Do you enjoy being curious what people mean by "true" artificial intelligence?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

:lol:

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    #1: Colonize our solar system
    #2: Make alternative energy not alternative
    #3: Cure cancer (probably not too far away)
    #4: Where's my flying car? :(
    #5: Get high-efficiency agriculture tech to a point where it's cheap and widespread throughout the world

MKR on
  • Options
    snowkissedsnowkissed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For those of you who suggest finding a way to stop aging, how do you suggest we deal with over-population? I find it hard to believe that should be a top 5.

#1. Cures for cancer/aids/viruses
    #2. Quantum computing
    #3. Advanced space exploration
    #4. Making it possible to colonize other planets/moons
    #5. Energy alternatives, particularly alternatives to fuel

AI advancements freak me out. D:

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Overpopulation is why you have space travel and colonization as well

Duh

Combine that with effective population control and licensed childbirth and you're golden

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well, AI comes in two flavors - "strong" and "weak". Most of us have dealt with "weak" AI - game logic falls under this. But "strong" AI, AI that can actually reason - that's what people are referring to.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "top 5" is a really ambiguous statement. Top 5 most interesting, most helpful to mankind, most fucking out there waste of time?

I dunno how to answer.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well, AI comes in two flavors - "strong" and "weak". Most of us have dealt with "weak" AI - game logic falls under this. But "strong" AI, AI that can actually reason - that's what people are referring to.

And then you have strong AI that is smarter than its creators

Hopefully so much so that they figure out the human brain and fashion a sort of technological afterlife to house our consciousnesses after death

That's what I'm hoping for

Quantum computers and self-evolving AI ftw!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Duh

Combine that with effective population control and licensed childbirth and you're golden

Genius.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    snowkissed wrote: »

Duh

Genius.

You should read a novel called Stone

It's about a nanotech-heavy society with FTL travel and what are essentially immortal human beings in a zero growth rate population

There's also nasal sex

Good stuff

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would definently like to see this working in a few years.

That and the space elevator and fusion reactors and Matrix-like VR.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1: Medical Biogerontology in the research of halting senescence.
    2: Nanotechnology in the fighting of disease and cancer.
    3: Finding alternative (longer lasting) power sources.
    4: Space programmes into the colonizing of other planets and space travel.
    5: Environmental research into halting global disasters and global warming.

This is the list of what i'd like as well as what's going on really.

Johannen on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1. Achieving technological singularity*
    2. Learning how to be good slaves to our robot masters
    3. Learning how to come to terms with the meaningless of biologically-evolved life
    4. Learning how to download our minds into the robot master hivemind
    5. Learning how to come to grips with the fact that individuality is an archaic vestige

*This refers to the creation of an AI which is more intelligent than us, and thus better capable to create even more advanced versions of itself than we are—thus marking the epoch in history where humans cease to matter and evolution takes on a new, more intelligent and designed, form. All hail the metal lords!

Qingu on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry to put a damper on some of you guys, but the space elevator thing is not going to happen anytime soon. The people running it are one very small step above those Steorn free engery wackos or the good people at Infinium Labs. I have a friend who worked for them for a while and basicially they have some people who are really skilled at PR and begging for money but no actual capability to follow through.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I wasn't aware there was an actual company doing it. I figured we were just talking about sci fi concepts.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry to put a damper on some of you guys, but the space elevator thing is not going to happen anytime soon. The people running it are one very small step above those Steorn free engery wackos or the good people at Infinium Labs. I have a friend who worked for them for a while and basicially they have some people who are really skilled at PR and begging for money but no actual capability to follow through.

You must be talking about a different one, because the space elevator everyone else is talking about only depends on the eventual and inevitable mass production of carbon nanotubes.

MKR on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MKR wrote: »

You must be talking about a different one, because the space elevator everyone else is talking about only depends on the eventual and inevitable mass production of carbon nanotubes.

Sadly the cost for the amount we'd need is astronomically large.

And I hate to burst your guys bubbles, but Quantum Computing =/= Strong AI. Even in theory, QCs can't do it.

shryke on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For all people out there asking for a flying car It's already here motha fuckas

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1278332,00.html

As for me, 1 Stop aging, 2 Fusion 3 Understanding how genes work 4 Near light speed travel and 5 Space elevator or that space pier thing if it's doable.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1) Fusion Research
    2) Quantum Computing
    3) Alternatives to gasoline
    4) The development and expanded utility of fullerenes
    5) The replacement or supplimentation of human immunity with nanorobotics

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    snowkissed wrote: »

Duh

Genius.

You should read a novel called Stone

It's about a nanotech-heavy society with FTL travel and what are essentially immortal human beings in a zero growth rate population

There's also nasal sex

Good stuff

Author? And...um... nasal sex? O_o

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]