As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless What-the-fuck

Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay. So for a few months now I've had a terrible internet signal. I can't play online games, I can't download things, and I can't use Ventrilo or AIM. This is because my internet connection is intermittent, playing at a smooth clip of 50 ping for a minute or so and then suddenly spiking to 30,000 if not disconnecting entirely.

I have a wireless router that has three connections in use.

Steps I have taken:
-Bought a new router.
-Called my cable provider, who fucked with me for weeks before admitting there was a signal problem and dug up the street to put down new wires. This made me hopeful, but it still failed.
-Reformatted my father's PC, as he was confident that he had done something to break it.
-Downloaded firmware for router and changed wireless channel.
-Cloned MAC address, experimented with both WPA and WEP encryptions.
-Disconnected one PC from the network.
-Reinstalled router.

All of these have failed entirely. I have no idea what to do about this.

Interesting bits:
-My father's PC seems to still think that the old router is installed. This is troublesome, but we still had the same problem even with the old router.
-It also doesn't detect any connections, where it used to. However, the router menu does detect these connections.
-The actual wireless connectivity signal, IE what I would use to take files from other PC's, works wonderfully. The internet signal does not.

Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
Anonymous Robot on

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are there any possible sources of interference (microwave sources)? Are there any other wireless networks in range of you?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Are there any possible sources of interference (microwave sources)? Are there any other wireless networks in range of you?

A neighbor does have a wireless network. This is why I switched to channel 11.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I switched mine to channel 1 and I get better connection rates. Try channel 1 or 16.

urahonky on
  • roman2440roman2440 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does the issue show up if you bypass the wireless system? I.e. connect your PC directly to the cable modem (via ethernet) and play and see if you have any issues. If you have no issues with that at all, then it has nothing to do with the ISP or provider. If that has issues then its either something on your PC or an issue with the ISP.

I'd recommend staying away from channels 1 or 11. Only use channels 2 through 10. The channels on the ends of the range are limited on how they can work so that they don't interfere with bands outside of their range. Watch out for sources of EMI - metal objects, microwaves, etc... Also trying running it unencrypted (don't leave it like that, but use it to test).

roman2440 on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I switched mine to channel 1 and I get better connection rates. Try channel 1 or 16.

There is no 16; in the U.S. the legal channels are 1-11. You want your channel to be as far away from any other networks as possible. So, if your neighbor was using 1, then it was wise to switch to 11.

Also, to eliminate the cable company, try connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable. If you still get the ping problems, try connecting directly to the modem. If it still persists, then it's the cable company's fault. I'd eliminate that possibility first, as it looks like you've tried a lot of other stuff.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -Bought a new router.

What brand/model is the new one? What brand/model was the old one?

Senjutsu on
    edited August 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

There is no 16; in the U.S. the legal channels are 1-11. You want your channel to be as far away from any other networks as possible. So, if your neighbor was using 1, then it was wise to switch to 11.

Also, to eliminate the cable company, try connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable. If you still get the ping problems, try connecting directly to the modem. If it still persists, then it's the cable company's fault. I'd eliminate that possibility first, as it looks like you've tried a lot of other stuff.

Ether..net?

Also, Atlus, the old router was a Microsoft/Texas Instruments (don't know the model). The new router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ethernet = the cable with the thing at the end that looks like a telephone plug that's been eating too many cakes.

Also:
    ethernet+crossover+cable.gif

anable on
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Ethernet = the cable with the thing at the end that looks like a telephone plug that's been eating too many cakes.

Also:
    ethernet+crossover+cable.gif

And plugging said cable from my router to my computer will give me internet service? I don't understand.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Also:
    fat telephone cable m i rite

And plugging said cable from my router to my computer will give me internet service? I don't understand.

I'm trying to see if you're being sarcastic here; if you are, don't play stupid and try our advice.
    If you honestly think that the only way to connect your computer to the router is through wireless, then you need to uh, read a manual or something. Seriously.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Also:

I'm trying to see if you're being sarcastic here; if you are, don't play stupid and try our advice.
    If you honestly think that the only way to connect your computer to the router is through wireless, then you need to uh, read a manual or something. Seriously.

Better yet, just go from the modem to the computer. Or, if you've got other devices on the network that have internet then there is nothing wrong with the service.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2007

Also:

Excuse me? I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not playing stupid. I don't understand.

One PC is connected to the router through a cable. Is that an ethernet cable? I don't know.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Also:

Excuse me? I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not playing stupid. I don't understand.

One PC is connected to the router through a cable. Is that an ethernet cable? I don't know.

Yes that is an ethernet cable.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Also:

Is the PC connected by a cable running as slow as the wireless one?
    If it is, then it's a service problem, not a wireless problem.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was getting shitty internet for almost a year before one of the smart cable guys that came to my house figured out that my goddamn neighbors were stealing my cable. He left and came back and told me about how he confronted them with it and they said that they just moved in and were going to get cable on sunday. I was like, "funny, I remember them 'just moving in' a little over a year ago" so the guy put a lock on their cable thing so that they couldn't steal it any more.

Metalbourne on