As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ipods, power adapters, and music

bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll be going to Spain in two weeks for a semester abroad and I'd like to bring along my trusty ipod mini. I've become rather dependent on it when I'm traveling. I'm not going to be bringing my laptop, however, so I was thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2BLEC/ref=pd_cp_e_1/104-0123142-3452766?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1XGW64GBPXVMJTZ7EDEQ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B0002ZAIMI

along with this

http://www.amazon.com/American-European-Outlet-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0006ZL3BO

and I was wondering if those would work together. If anyone could link me to a European ipod outlet charger that might be even better.

Also, I still have some space on my ipod left, so if anyone could recommend me some new music I'd much appreciate it. I am a big Decemberists fan, and recently a friend got me into The Strokes, and I listen to a lot of musicals and some older music (i.e. The Mamas and the Papas and things in that vein). My taste is pretty expansive though, that's just what came to mind immediately. Thanks for any help.

bowtiedseal on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That charger doesn' t mention if it takes 110V only or 110V-220V. In Europe, you're looking at 220V. I do know that if you can pick one up on eBay or something cheap, the "standard" iPod charging brick should take 110V-220V...I know my old Firewire one did, I'd hope they didn't start skimping on the USB ones.

Also, the Apple charging bricks actually had removable plugs, so you could pull off the US-shaped one and stick on one for whichever locale you're in. Kinda spiffy.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Yes. Should work just fine.

Just make sure it's the proper plug for where you're going (Spain). I'm not sure that everywhere in Europe is actually the same. But assuming that's the right shape, you'll be good to go.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, you may want to look around. I know when I was in Iraq I could find actual power strips that were "universal." Plug into the mains power (220V there), and the funky-ass plug inputs where shaped such that at least three major plug configurations would fit. They were available in various levels of...quality, shall we say. Some were cheap pieces of shit, some were good.

But if you're going to be using your electronics there, it might be worth it instead of picking up multiple adapters. Or just in general.

I'll poke around, but I have no idea where you'd find them. I got them off a guy named Aziz. ;-)

EDIT: So not too hard. Example.

This way you can plug in your, say, computer and iPod (which will be 110-220V, with US plugs) as well as any European electronics you acquire (such as a television).

I don't know, maybe you won't need it. But something to look at.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cool, thanks for the info. I just did a quick google check to make sure that adapter will work in Spain, and it seems like it will. I'm probably going to do a lot more traveling in the future so I will definitely think about buying one of those universal ones.

bowtiedseal on