As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smash Bros. - "Things get extremely slippery!"

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I really hope they don't ever put sonic in the game. The save Sonic thread made me realise how bloody awful sonic has become since the genesis days and including him here would only sully the whole experience with his Xtreme awfulness and disturbing furry undertones.

If they're going to put in another 3rd party character I say go Megaman. Make him as retro as possible and give his stage some music from megaman 2 and it would be awesome.

A lot of us see Sonic in Brawl as the beginning of a redemption. As in: Sonic Team doesn't know what the fuck they're doing, so let Nintendo just take him over.

I'm sure if Sonic were in Brawl, he wouldn't be shouting out shit like "YEAH! Radical! Alright! WHOOOO!" every 2 seconds like he's done since SA2.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actually I'd say Bioware doing a Sonic game is the beginning of redemption. Being in Brawl would just be another step.

Furu on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the music updates.

Probably even more than the Warning! Challenger Approaching! updates.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the music updates.

Probably even more than the Warning! Challenger Approaching! updates.

I hate the music updates.

The pick a great sounding tune. And give you just enough time to really get into it. Then the second it starts getting real good, they cut you off like a junkie going cold turkey. Fucking cockteases. I would kill for full versions of this song and the Zelda OOT medley right now.
    I really do love the music updates. But man do they know just how much to give you so you're left wanting more. I want more!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GallantRoweGallantRowe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    I really hope they don't ever put sonic in the game. The save Sonic thread made me realise how bloody awful sonic has become since the genesis days and including him here would only sully the whole experience with his Xtreme awfulness and disturbing furry undertones.

If they're going to put in another 3rd party character I say go Megaman. Make him as retro as possible and give his stage some music from megaman 2 and it would be awesome.

A lot of us see Sonic in Brawl as the beginning of a redemption. As in: Sonic Team doesn't know what the fuck they're doing, so let Nintendo just take him over.

I'm sure if Sonic were in Brawl, he wouldn't be shouting out shit like "YEAH! Radical! Alright! WHOOOO!" every 2 seconds like he's done since SA2.

Well he'd probably be in japanese. In Melee all the characters kept their original voice actors be they english (Mario, Peach etc) or japanese (C. Falcon, Ness, etc).

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Faustum wrote: »
    disturbing furry undertones.

...Because he's an anthropomorphic animal?

Probably because the 360 game has him in some weird ass relationship with a human chick in which a kiss of love revives him from death!

Considering I've been getting along just fine ignoring that game's existence (as has Sega so far) I have no idea what you're talking about.

Probably a good idea. Otherwise you'd have to picture a photorealistic chick (seriously, not cartoony in the least) smooching Sonic.

But Sonic's redeemable. He was fine in Sonic Wii, and he doesn't seem to be "eXtreme" (Sega's word for him in Sonic Riders) in the Olympics game. He should be okay in Brawl if he's in.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I no longer love Sonic.

So tragic.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well he'd probably be in japanese. In Melee all the characters kept their original voice actors be they english (Mario, Peach etc) or japanese (C. Falcon, Ness, etc).

I partially agree with you, but I'm fully expecting me some David Hayter action.

Kor on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When snake loses all his lifes, someone better damn well go "Snake. Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!"

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OH NOES DOUBLE PAOST!

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I partially agree with you, but I'm fully expecting me some David Hayter action.

Yeah....I set Sonic Adventure back to Japanese speech on the Dreamcast after hearing about 30 seconds in English.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn. I got shafted.

When snake loses all his lives, someone better damn well go "Snake. Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!"

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Oddly enough, the Starfox crew was voiced by the Rare guys (who were making Starfox Adventures at the time) during cutscenes, but during battle Fox and Falco had their Japanese shouts and yelps.

I'm hoping Brawl spends a bit more time on voices than Melee. Not just standardizing the voices between battle and cutscenes, but in smoothing out the announcer. I've been playing Melee again to finish the last four event matches and get the last few trophies, and I've noticed it's really, REALLY jarring to have announcer guy say "Metal Jigglypuff" in what's obviously two different voice sessions spliced together.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oddly enough, the Starfox crew was voiced by the Rare guys (who were making Starfox Adventures at the time) during cutscenes, but during battle Fox and Falco had their Japanese shouts and yelps.

I'm hoping Brawl spends a bit more time on voices than Melee. Not just standardizing the voices between battle and cutscenes, but in smoothing out the announcer. I've been playing Melee again to finish the last four event matches and get the last few trophies, and I've noticed it's really, REALLY jarring to have announcer guy say "Metal Jigglypuff" in what's obviously two different voice sessions spliced together.

And for the love of God they need to give Luigi his real voice instead of using an even higher-pitched version of Mario's voice

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I said and thought this while playing both Adventures and Assault, but Nintendo needs to get the Starfox 64 voice actors back.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I found you, Brawl thread.

Blue dot.

Awesome updates. Yoshi's one of my favs, so this plus the news that the egg throw will get him a little jump makes me happy.

:)

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it after Melee that Luigi's voice became what it is now? I remember him sounding a lot like Mario up until a certain point early in the GameCube's lifespan.

Timestones on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Timestones wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it after Melee that Luigi's voice became what it is now? I remember him sounding a lot like Mario up until a certain point early in the GameCube's lifespan.

I'm pretty sure that what would become his current voice had its beginnings in the N64 Mario Party games

I could be mistaken though

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Not really, luigi's had his voice since MK64 I think. its the same guy that does mario and wario anyway.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Not really, luigi's had his voice since MK64 I think. its the same guy that does mario and wario anyway.

Yeah, Charles Marintet, I think. He first did Luigi and Wario in MK64. And Luigi sounded fine in Luigi's Mansion (which came out a month before), so I'm not sure what happened.

Speaking of voices, here's a random question. I finally got Mario Kart: Double Dash a few months ago, and Wario's voice is different. Instead of sounding like Snidley Whiplash, his voice is a few octaves below Mario. What the hell?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about Luigi's Mansion?

No?

e: damn you, cloudeagle!

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The voice from Luigi's mansion has always seemed like the 'correct' version to me. It was also maintained in the Mario & Luigi games somewhat.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dritz wrote: »
    The voice from Luigi's mansion has always seemed like the 'correct' version to me. It was also maintained in the Mario & Luigi games somewhat.
    The Mario and Luigi games should be the model for Mario game voice acting in the future. Hilarious fake-italian, I love it!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dritz wrote: »
    The Mario and Luigi games should be the model for Mario game voice acting in the future. Hilarious fake-italian, I love it!

Mario's gibberish sounds like hes saying "A doopie potato".

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Yeah, Charles Marintet, I think. He first did Luigi and Wario in MK64. And Luigi sounded fine in Luigi's Mansion (which came out a month before), so I'm not sure what happened.

Wait, are you trying to say Luigi's Mansion came out a month before MK64?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I think hes saying before Melee.

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Ack, I meant it came out a month before Melee. Sorry about the missing word.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    HEROES ALWAYS ARRIVE LATE WTF

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So it seems like this time they are definitely going for much simpler stages, ala battlefield. Do you folks agree?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote:
    OH NOES DOUBLE PAOST!

PAOST = poast = COOKING!!

COOKING MAMA CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL!

Toothy on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So it seems like this time they are definitely going for much simpler stages, ala battlefield. Do you folks agree?

Oh god don't start this again.

[tiny]Give us more interesting stages, dammit![/tiny]

jothki on
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

castle siege looks interesting

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know. With all these new items and more eccentric moves, it might be a necessity.

Besides, when my friends and I really wanted to duke it out, we always went to a flat, simple stage. No distractions.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Why yes, I'm sure the Jungle Beat stage is the absolute only non-battlefield stage we'll have!

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it wrong to want a race track stage that slowly scrolls around the track? Not like Big Blue where you're on the cars...more like you're walking along this miles long thing. Maybe have it scroll about the speed of Peach's stage in SSB:M. Get warnings of when the racers are coming, etc.

Actually, what I really want is an adventure mode stage that you fight on in multiplayer. That would be boss.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I kinda enjoyed the stages that moved like rides.

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Vhalyar wrote: »

Why yes, I'm sure the Jungle Beat stage is the absolute only non-battlefield stage we'll have!

Good point.

My guess for tomorrow: An interesting Star Fox stage. With the Star Wolf theme as the music.

Actually, I wonder if a dogfight stage with the players standing on Arwings and Wolfen (what is the plural of Wolfen, anyway?) would be possible. You'd want the ships shooting at each other and somersaulting and such, but that might make the playfield too unstable.

Hmm...

Fighter: <down-A> <down-A> <down-A>
    Wolf: No! This can't be happeninngggg...

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Woo. This scan here shows some action shots of Trainer's pokemon. :)

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/55393_dojo_2_2_122_1064lo.jpg

GallantRowe on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, three weeks since the last stage announcement.

Elendil on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    Heroes always arrive late.
    Is that from anywhere? I'm at work, and its driving me crazy trying to figure out if that's from a specific source or if its a general quote.

Heroes always arrive late.-->Sonic: Heroes-->Sonic confirmed.

Really though, there is a specific meaning somewhere in the thread.

The phrase as well as Go K.K. Rider itself are references to the classic live-action superhero series Kamen Rider.

as the actual Kamen Rider would be odd to put in Smash, I say they should resurrect Segata Sanshiro and put him in there.

Hiroshi Fujioka did play Hongo Takeshi/Kamen Rider #1 and Segata Sanshiro after all.

BEWARE HIS THROWS!!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1