As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Haircuts and fauxhawks

CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Since Ive been like, 11, my hair has been pretty much been buzzed off once it got long enough that it needed to be brushed. Earlier this year I ditched that, and started growing it longer. Still not really sure what I want to do with it, and the last few haircuts have come out subpar.

It needs to be cut again. I've had 4 females suggest a fauxhawk. My concern is 3 fold

1) Not looking like an epic tool, as some fauxhawk wearers do.
2) Being able to do something with it that looks conservative, for say church, or job interviews
3) Having gunk in my hair. The last few times Ive had my hair cut, the cuttererer went on for a few minutes about my hair having 'great texture' or something. I dunno. I dont wanna mess that up though with gunk/gel/whatever that makes the hair feel greasy/stiff/whatever.

Current refernce shots:
230820070654300761vt9.jpg

230820070654300870fm1.jpg

H/A, do your bidness!

CangoFett on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Here are some good examples:

fauxhawk.jpg250347.jpg

fauxhawk_mmmm.jpg158g_fashion_men.jpg259059.jpg

If you want it to stick up a LOT then you will have to put product in it. However this product does not need to be greasy, and you won't need very much.

Personally I would go with an understated fauxhawk (just make it longer on the top and shorter on the sides, with maybe a bit of shaping) because you can always use product to play it up into a full blow hawk type thing.

Medopine on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I do this.

I basically walk int any barber/hair stylist and say "short and rough, leave a little more on top that I can mess up"

You want "Mat(t)-style" product. Greasy is never cool.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think it looks good the way it is. However, maybe get some 'surf hair' paste. To give it some life :P

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    1. You're young so you can get away with funky hair more so than someone douche in their 20s or older. If you keep it short and dignified then it can still be alright for church.

2. Your hair seems curly like mine so you may be limited to certain styles or need a ton of gel so experiment. If you wanna save money on gel borrow a friend's to test it out.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    1. You're young so you can get away with funky hair more so than someone douche in their 20s or older. If you keep it short and dignified then it can still be alright for church.

2. Your hair seems curly like mine so you may be limited to certain styles or need a ton of gel so experiment. If you wanna save money on gel borrow a friend's to test it out.

I uh

I turn 20 this sunday..

Im not like, 15.

Still go for the fauxhawk?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    IronPirateIronPirate Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know what I say.. Do what you want.

Try out the faux-hawk and if you like it, keep it. Why should society dictate changes in our hairstyle?

IronPirate on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I was thinking about getting something like this but I dunno. I might print some pics out and ask what my barber thinks.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just have them cut it very short on the sides and back, and leave it a bit longer on the top. Then if I want to go conservative, I can comb it to the side (with some product so it holds), or I can mess it up or push it into a fauxhawk if I like.

Murphy on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got a faux-hawk through and through - it's pretty cool. You can either mess it around for parties or whatever or you can smooth it down for more sophisticated events. I'm 22 for reference.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One thing I'll add: Melting gel is Jesus. If you're doing something as elaborate as the Fauxhawk you might need something with a little more oomph, but I started using melting gel recently and it allows you to have a loose but still molded style with no greasy gunk appearance or feeling.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The fauxhawk is complete. I have a tiny bit of sumotech in it. I plan to let the females of the species play with it to find a style more suitable, but this is what I have for now
    230820072124030648st9.jpg
    230820072124030688pm2.jpg

CangoFett on