As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS-Puzzle-topia: Slitherlink

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
OK so you may remember when I found out about Picross and felt the need to spread my addiction, well I couldn't find any slitherlink threads so I'm doing the same again....

pa73890001rn6.jpg
its got Sherlock Homes on the front!

Background

So The Reverend Stuart Campbell gave the Japanese game "Sliverlink" 10/10, and then Eurogamer reads said review and imports themselves and gives it another 10/10. So I figured the game was something special.

As such I imported it (~£15/$30). And it's looks like it's worth every penny. I'm only ten of the easy 6x6 puzzles in but, I'm loving it. If you like Picross you will yip your yaps.

What is it?
Wiki Page

It is not mine sweeper! Slither Link (aka Fences, Loop the Loop, Ouroboros and Dotty Dilemma) is a game where you have a grid of squares. To complete a map you have to draw a single closed loop by connecting the sides of the squares together. To help you in doing so the squares each have the following numbers in them, representing how many of their sides need to be connected. By looking at the numbers you can put lines or crosses (to mark empty squares) on the edges of each to build up the loop.

But describing games like this is dull, so lets...

Try an online version

You can play the official Slitherlink demo here.
Click on option 4, and a pop up will let you play to levels. The red pen button is for marking your line, the blue dotted for guesses and the cross marker for places you know lines aren't.

Or you can play a version here: http://www.puzzle-loop.com/.

Whats it like - is it all in moon language?

So far (only ten puzzles in) I'm really liking it, there are easily a hundred hours worth of puzzles here, the moon language barrier is only for the tutorial (that you can skip by hammering start) then it's simple to select the difficulty of the puzzle and so on. If you can manage Ouedan you will be fine.

Hows it compare to Picross?

Cons: You don't get a pretty picture at the end of a slitherlink puzzle
Pros: There is no guessing in Slitherlink (nor Picross DS for that matter), but the main difference is the multiple levels of logic you need to descend down and juggle in harder Picross levels isn't there (apparently). But that doesn't mean it is easy. It's just a lot more about progressing around the map, working at it.

TL: DR I need people to play slitherlink so I don't feel so alone. So very alone.

Lave II on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I feel bad that no one else is talking here... the game looks awesome. I haven't even tried picross yet, so maybe I'll give that a shot, and it will naturally link into this one.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't suppose this has a US release date?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here's a fairly good online version:

http://madebyluke.com/slither.html

Since it isn't obvious in-game, press any key while you're clicking to mark an 'x'.

jothki on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay I'm officially hooked (playing the flash version).

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Cons: You don't get a pretty picture at the end of a slitherlink puzzle

Just because it's not an image, it doesn't mean it isn't the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

jothki on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmmm, the flash versions seems pretty fun. It might be worth checking out, although I don't think I'd want to import it.

0blique on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ooh, neat.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is pretty cool. Fingers crossed for an english version.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    really enjoyed the flash version

i would totally buy this on the ds

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought this a few months ago. It is brilliant.

I was addicted to it, but now Picross has taken over. I'll have to get back to Slitherlink one day, I think it's actually better than Picross.

EDIT: It's cheap at YesAsia... US$28.49 with free shipping. If you like puzzle games, it's definitely worth importing.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh god those puzzles broke my brain. It's a new way of thinking for me when I do these puzzles. Very intriguing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png