As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: Black and white morality is for pussies

LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
So, I had a chance to read through the demo booklet given out at GenCon, and holy wtf awesome. The system is really WFRP in space which is totally cool with me. The only races you can play as are humans, but the differentiation is where they come from. Agri-world, void-born, feral world, hive world, etc. though I don't know what specific bonuses they all grant. The system itself will have three "core" books:

1. Dark Heresy. This book, focused on the Inquisition, comes out in February next year. Players will play as elements of an Inquisitorial retinue and face all the dangers that the Imperium of Mankind can offer.

2. Rogue Trader. This book focuses on life at the fringes of human civilization in the 41st millenium. This book may include alien races (Eldar, Tau, rumors of trained Orks and Demiurge) as playable.

3. Untitled Space Marines book. Space Marines are not playable in either of the two other books, and this book clearly sets the example for Space Marine power. These are not the Marines of the tabletop but that of the background, engineered killing machines able to stand against whole armies. The developers have advised against mixing Space Marines into either of the two other supplements as the Marine characters will be designed to be flat out superior to the other careers. The downside is, of course, that the Space Marines will offer much more limited roleplay oppurtunites (the rumor is that the book is basically a Deathwatch book) and the threats the Marines face will be lethal.

February can't come quickly enough.

LibrarianThorne on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm so fucking Psyched for this. I absolutely love WHFB Roleplay (Slayer, woo!), and being able to use some 40K models to roleplay with would be awesome. Plus, there's ridiculous wealth of material to explore or be able to create on your own. And about the Space Marine book: yeah, it's basically going to be a team of Deathwatch marines going around and raping people's faces. Hopefully they add detailed rules about the different patterns of bolters and ammunition that they can use, as well as different abilities based on what chapter of marines the individual was recruited from. Like, Space Wolves being B.A. in close combat, Raven Guard bein' all sneaky sneaky NINJA STRIKE BITCH. Ultramarines bein' all "Hai gys listn to me srsly I know wut I'm doin."

Anyways, I think it'd be pretty cool to have that stuff. Hmm, and I wonder if it would let you play as a Librarian... that'd be pretty fuckawesome too.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SJ wrote: »
    I'm so fucking Psyched for this. I absolutely love WHFB Roleplay (Slayer, woo!), and being able to use some 40K models to roleplay with would be awesome. Plus, there's ridiculous wealth of material to explore or be able to create on your own. And about the Space Marine book: yeah, it's basically going to be a team of Deathwatch marines going around and raping people's faces. Hopefully they add detailed rules about the different patterns of bolters and ammunition that they can use, as well as different abilities based on what chapter of marines the individual was recruited from. Like, Space Wolves being B.A. in close combat, Raven Guard bein' all sneaky sneaky NINJA STRIKE BITCH. Ultramarines bein' all "Hai gys listn to me srsly I know wut I'm doin."

Anyways, I think it'd be pretty cool to have that stuff. Hmm, and I wonder if it would let you play as a Librarian... that'd be pretty fuckawesome too.

What I heard at GenCon was that every flavor of Marine (in terms of rank) will be playable. Librarians, Apothecaries, Chaplains, Captains, etc.

We'll be seeing Chaos Space Marines in the Dark Heresy book, and apparently they'll be the equivalent of seeing a Dragon in WFRP. You know, a total "Oh shit let's get the fuck out of here" style of encounter.

Apparently we'll see Genestealers in the Dark Heresy book as a direct relation to the whole Genestealer Cult thing. Probably won't see the really big Tyranid bugs until the Space Marine book, which looks to be when all the stuff that would normally be a TPK style encounter will be statted.

Not to say that Dark Heresy won't have shit tons of stuff to fight. I'd expect to see Ork Kommandoes, Genestealers and Genestealer mutations, mutants, cultists, Adeptus Arbites (I am totally going to play Judge Dredd as my first character), local militia, all that good stuff.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fuck yeah. Now I'm even more excited. I'd love to play an Inquisitorial Stormtrooper officer style character.

And I'm definitely glad to hear about the Chaos Marines like that. That's how they should always be portrayed.

Although I think it'd be pretty sweet if you could play as a Marine Scout Sergeant, in the Deathwatch style campaign. I dunno why, I just wanna model a scout up like someone from Aliens, I think :D

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There's gotta be someone else out there who wants to role-play shooting mutants and aliens with a bolter as much as Thorne and I. C'mon now.

SJ on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am excited about this.

Less excited about the wait, though.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sweet fancy jesus.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's like Rifts...but with W40k O.o!!!!

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is nice. Nice, nice, nice.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Could this be the first step on the long, long road to a WH40K online roleplaying game? I mean I'll buy the books just for fluff and reading material, but my dream is that some day some insanely ambitious company will try to tackle the 40k universe online.

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Start off as a lowly street kid, then end up as a Adeptus Custodes or grey knight.

Holy fuck yes.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im pretty excited about this. WFRP is good, so this should also be good. Logic see. I do look forward to subjecting my players to the grim darkness of the far future.

Also, what happened to the Warhammer 40k MMO that was announced a while ago?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't recall a 40k mmo being announced... seems like the kind of thing I'd remember. The warhammer fantasy MMO, now, that looks alright. I think I'll avoid it as I really really need to finish this last semester of school before I start getting into timesinks like that.

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neither do I.

I just really want a game that has that sort of career choice to it.

Start on a planet, each with unique attributes, do well, get noticed, and reach for the stars.
    OR
    Become a tau auxilary and possibly enter the top circle passing through diversity
    OR
    Turn to chaos and get your freak on.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Paper TigerPaper Tiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here is info on the 40k MMO:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html

:D

Paper Tiger on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ABANDON SHIP! THE DICKS CANT HOLD MUCH LONGER!

Seriousely.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    God I hope they don't have something like that in the game, honestly? Career advancement? Congratulations, your level 5 Imperial Guardsman can now become a level 1 Space Marine Scout! If the game is like that, I will shoot someone.

That, and it would be so easy to fuck this up. "LF2M Abaddon run then gtg." Blech.

Although I'm still psyched. Totally wanna play a storm trooper. Or an Ork Kommando or something. That would rock.

Wonder if this kind of game would be best suited to a Planetside style MMO/FPS. Obviously more grand in scope, however...

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    God I hope they don't have something like that in the game, honestly? Career advancement? Congratulations, your level 5 Imperial Guardsman can now become a level 1 Space Marine Scout! If the game is like that, I will shoot someone.

That, and it would be so easy to fuck this up. "LF2M Abaddon run then gtg." Blech.

Although I'm still psyched. Totally wanna play a storm trooper. Or an Ork Kommando or something. That would rock.

Wonder if this kind of game would be best suited to a Planetside style MMO/FPS. Obviously more grand in scope, however...

butbutbut

:(

What about level restrictions on armor types?
    And you could steal armour from other races :D

And one day be a dreadnought or crisis suit or some shit.

*gurgle*

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

butbutbut

*gurgle*

No offense, but that sounds re-goddamn-tarded.

Guardsmen don't steal power armor or Tau armor. Know why? Their commissar would fucking execute them. Loot a corpse, get shot. Don't do an assigned quest? Get shot. I mean, take a gander at the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. There's a prime example why a 40k MMO would be total shit.

Not to mention the stupidity of leveling up from hive ganger to Space Marine. That shit flew in Rogue Trader, but those Marines were drugged up barely controlled psychpaths. Basically, unlike the WHFB MO that's coming out, the setting of Warhammer 40k is just way too restrictive for most players to like it.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

butbutbut

*gurgle*

No offense, but that sounds re-goddamn-tarded.

Guardsmen don't steal power armor or Tau armor. Know why? Their commissar would fucking execute them. Loot a corpse, get shot. Don't do an assigned quest? Get shot. I mean, take a gander at the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. There's a prime example why a 40k MMO would be total shit.

Not to mention the stupidity of leveling up from hive ganger to Space Marine. That shit flew in Rogue Trader, but those Marines were drugged up barely controlled psychpaths. Basically, unlike the WHFB MO that's coming out, the setting of Warhammer 40k is just way too restrictive for most players to like it.

While that may all be true, you underestimate the power of the Retcon-bomb.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I reckon that if they're going to do a 40K MMO, they really shouldn't tell anyone its a 40K MMO.
    Just release a good MMO engine, with three different versions (like pokémon versions), one set on an agri-world, one set in a hive and one set on a feral world and tell people there's a way to join them up. Eventually, a few of the players will end up advancing enough to get noticed by the Guard or an Inquisitor and get inducted into the ranks of those people allowed to travel.
    And, maybe once, a guy from a feral world might get recruited by a marine chapter.

Anyway, this $)K RPG has intrigued me since it was first announced, and I would definitely want "in" if someone's going to be running a game next year....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    edit. I think this is in the wrong thread. Moving it to the other thread.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm interested in Dark Heresy, but... I dunno. Somehow 40k just seems too big.

Which is stupid, because that's why you release supplements. But still.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm interested in Dark Heresy, but... I dunno. Somehow 40k just seems too big.

Which is stupid, because that's why you release supplements. But still.

Well, it doesn't have to be big at all, which is the neat bit. I'm debating starting up a WFRP campaign that is, unbeknownst to my players, set on a medieval world within the Imperium. As the party becoems reknowned throughout the world they'll attract the attentions of an Inquisitor when Dark Heresy proper comes out, and then there'll be all the space-borne madness that is the hallmark of 40k.

Bigness is, in my opinion, absolutely vital to a setting. You really can do anything in the 40k universe which is what will make it an absolutely fantastic RPG setting.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I for one look forward to this game because it is big. The 40k universe is so mind bogglingly vast that almost anything could happen. I plan on doing a "prelude", so to speak, for each character, just a short 1/2 hour deal to explain how they managed to attract the attentions of a Inquisitor. Then, once they have got used to the idea, throw them into a hive world investigation to discover the truth behind the Cult of the Emperor's Light - honour the father, protect the children, spread the light . . .

Asher on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    I for one look forward to this game because it is big. The 40k universe is so mind bogglingly vast that almost anything could happen. I plan on doing a "prelude", so to speak, for each character, just a short 1/2 hour deal to explain how they managed to attract the attentions of a Inquisitor. Then, once they have got used to the idea, throw them into a hive world investigation to discover the truth behind the Cult of the Emperor's Light - honour the father, protect the children, spread the light . . .

This is why I have faith in a 40K MMO. Almost anything can happen in the 40k galaxy - and it's intentionally set up like that, so that we can create our own backgrounds, battlefields, and epic stories of sacrifice and bloodshed. There are very few planets actually detailed in 40k fluff, maybe what, a paltry few dozen, at most? That leaves practically infinite space for awesome stories to come about.

The only thing that does scare me is that the very nature of the 40k Milky Way means that standard MMO design cannot function correctly. The fluff is far too developed for this to be the case. A guardsman cannot become a space marine. A guardsman may be able to become an Inquisitorial henchmen, but, that happens so rarely it would (at least I think) only be able to happen in a single player 40K RPG or FPS or somesuch.

How cool would it be if every character in the game was some sort of squad / platoon leader? I.G. Stormtrooper Sergeants, I.G. Lieutenants, Ork Nobs, Eldar Exarch / Warlocks, Big Mutant Boss, etc. Although I didn't add Space Marine sergeants into that mix because I honestly believe that Space Marines and Chaos Marines should be represented as they are in the fluff - Gods of war riding on the wind from planet to planet, smashing their foes aside and making the ground tremble with every footstep. Marines should only appear as NPC's or some sort of late-game special ability to requisition a chapter's aid for a certain amount of time / until the completion of a certain objective. Anyways, enough of my crazy thoughts...

SJ on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anything with more genestealer cult fluff can only be a good thing. I love genestealer cults as an idea, as well as the ominous pre tyranid invasion feeling they bring.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Genestealers are awesome. I would really really like there to be a Genestealer Cult army list in 40k again, but as there wont be, I will instead have to do a Dark Heresy Campaign about a cult and the ensuing Tyranid invasion. Y'know, to just start the players off slowly rather than throwing him in head first.

Asher on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Maybe if they ever get around to doing the Ordo Xenos codex we could see some quick and fast Genestealer cult rules in an adversaries section.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Maybe if they ever get around to doing the Ordo Xenos codex we could see some quick and fast Genestealer cult rules in an adversaries section.

Perhaps they would be kind enough to add some Space Hulk style rules? Oh ho!

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Perhaps they would be kind enough to add some Space Hulk style rules? Oh ho!

I think that it is more likely that they will do a single Codex: Inquisition, than Xenos, much as I would like them to do one. Genestealer Adversaries owuld be very nice though.
    I would also like to see a new release of Space Hulk.

Anyway, this is a Thread for the RPG, so lets talk about that. Anything you guys would specifically like to see included? Any worries?
    I for one would like to see rules that differentiated between the weapons more than in say, WFRP. I hope that they manage to make Autoguns and Lasguns actually handle differently. That would require them to include reliablility rules though. Ialso hope that the make it nasty enough. I mean WFRP was pretty bad, but 40k is even nastier than the Fantasy world.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Maybe I just want a battlefield/battlefront 2 type game where you unlock better stuff the more you play :(

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »

I think that it is more likely that they will do a single Codex: Inquisition, than Xenos, much as I would like them to do one. Genestealer Adversaries owuld be very nice though.
    I would also like to see a new release of Space Hulk.

Anyway, this is a Thread for the RPG, so lets talk about that. Anything you guys would specifically like to see included? Any worries?
    I for one would like to see rules that differentiated between the weapons more than in say, WFRP. I hope that they manage to make Autoguns and Lasguns actually handle differently. That would require them to include reliablility rules though. Ialso hope that the make it nasty enough. I mean WFRP was pretty bad, but 40k is even nastier than the Fantasy world.

Well, like I said earlier, I hope Marines are not available as regular characters. There just isn't anything out there that compares to a marine on a power scale, except another marine. I think they should just be included as NPC's in some manner or another, and allies in certain missions, but... that's it.

SJ on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's why Marines have the third book all to themselves. They're not intended to stand shoulder to shoulder with the more 'mundane' PCs. Then again, not every situation can be solved with a hammer.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's why Marines have the third book all to themselves. They're not intended to stand shoulder to shoulder with the more 'mundane' PCs. Then again, not every situation can be solved with a hammer.

Oh, I know. I was speaking in reference to the 40K MMO. My bad.

But yeah. I totally wanna take a Deathwatch kill team into the heart of a Tyranid bioship and start wrecking shit.

Oh God, oh God. Ya'know how they released supplements for WHFRP, for Chaos and Skaven? Oh my God how fuckawesome would it be to play a group of Chosen, infiltrating a loyal Imperial world and totally wrecking their shit. All my dicks, etc. Oh yes.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My first campaign I've already got planned, plotwise. Team is sent to infiltrate an enormous hive city, capital of a major manufacturing world, big ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus, all that. The Inquisitor has to attend to another matter (not letting them know about it, but reports of a Tyranid incursion in a nearby system) and sends the party to investigate rumors of a canker at the heart of this propsering Hive. The hive is multiple levels with the nobility residing on the top level, priveleged to have access to sunlight and mass transportation. Deep underground, in a place called the Underhive, there's a rebellion fermenting between two cults.

One, the Cult of the Light, is prophesying imminent doom for the world (because, really, there's no other kind of doom). The clerics and religious leaders say that they have spoken to avatars of great power, and that with that power there is salvation. Only if the corrupt and decadent nobility is overthrown and the Cult instated into power will the world be saved. This is, of course, a Chaos cult but unbeknownst to all but the public face of the group, its actions are directed by three Word Bearer Chaos Marines, who would see the world itself become a shrine to the glories of Chaos undivided.

The second Cult, Future's Beneficence, gathers followers through being incredibly genial and hosopitable, clothing the poor, feeding the hungry, all that feel good jazz. They believe that monsters are lurking out in the depths of space waiting to devour the Imperium of Man and trust only that the future will provide an end to the worries of life. Despite this appearance, there are rumors (mostly spread by the Cult of Light) that the leaders of Beneficence are horriffic monstrosities and mutant abominations. Despite the source of the rumors, they are in fact correct as the cult is a Genestealer hive, awaiting the arrival of elements of Hive Fleet Leviathan.

Depending on player actions, there's about three results I see happening. They crush the Cult of Light, and just as they revel in their victory reports arrive from the edge of the system that a massive Hive Fleet is heading for the world. The second is that they uncover the secrets of Future's Beneficence and, with the aid of a hastily-assembled Adepts Arbites battalion, destroy it. The Cult of Light, relatively unmolested, completes their plans and open up a portal to the Warp through which legions of damned souls pour through. The third path I see happening is the players throwing the cults against each other, unknowingly (or perhaps knowingly) sacrifcing the hive and the world as the Hive Fleet invasion and Chaos attack occur almost simultaneously.

Goddamn, I can't wait for February.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That is some wicked shit. I envy your players.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So uh. Yeah. I found a pretty sweet link. Apparently someone bothered to convert... a whole shitload of stuff into the d20 system (d20 modern, in particular). Have any of you ever tried this out? I remember seeing it a while back but I was too busy to actually try and get a group together to play this. It's looks pretty sweet.

SJ on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Then again, not every situation can be solved with a hammer.

You're right. Some situations require bolters.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »

Or perhaps, say, a Chainsword. Really gets the grease out. And the lower intestinal track, too come to think of it...

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »

More often than not you only need to apply a heavy amount of WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

SJ on