As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's up with my SoundMax?

Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
A few months ago, my computer bluescreened and after rebooting the system, it seems that my integrated sound is broken.

I have a SoundMax HD Audio integrated sound on an Asus P5B motherboard. The sound crackles and pops to the extent where it is nigh unlistenable. I have tried reinstalling the drivers and software from the disc, and this did not fix the issue. Does this mean the hardware itself is fried? Will I need to buy a sound card?

The sound console is not accessible. It has a "no" sign over it and says that the control panel is not available at this time.

Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
Anonymous Robot on

• Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It could be that the integrated sound just decided to go. How long have you had the motherboard? I had my motherboard's onboard NETWORK go,and I think something else fried because it's basically unusable. Bad BSODs and rebooting troubles. RMA-ing it.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    cordlessmodemcordlessmodem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I'm having trouble with my M2N-E's Soundmax onboard too - lots of crackle in Bioshock, especially if there's a lot going on. I haven't decided if using my old Audigy flawlessly is worth the hassle of losing my front audio jacks.

I guess try disabling it in the BIOS and it may stop, but if it's a physical problem (a short of some kind in the chip itself, fuck I don't know, I'm no electrical engineer) you might be screwed unless you replace the board.
    Before THAT I'd try the newest drivers.

cordlessmodem on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds busted (ahaha!). What does the device manager in Windows say?

Raere on
    Raere.png