As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

memory fuckup

freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I've got four sticks of Corsair XMS DDR3200 model number CMX512-3200C2PT in my Abit IC7-MAX3, and they've given me no trouble since I had one stick go bad several years ago. Corsair replaced it within a few weeks, and all has been well ever since.

Until, that is, I began getting BSODs while running simple processes such as bittorrent and basic media playback. I ran memtest and failed miserably. I didn't record which test failed, but instead tested each stick individually. They all passed >_<

I just noticed that the stick I'm testing now is running at 3-3-3-8 even though it's supposed to be able to run at 2-3-3-6. I'm going to have to test them all once again at the correct latency settings, but I have a question:

Do any of you know if running in dual-channel stresses the memory any more than running in single-channel mode? I tested all of the motherboard slots in dual channel mode using memory that tested good individually, and there weren't any problems. Now that each stick has passed on its own, I'm wondering if I need to test each possible pair, too. It would suck to have to run memtest that many times, but it's all worth it if it's the only way to ensure I don't see that lovely blue screen anymore.

Ugh. Thank god I have a mac, too.

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You might have a bad stick that not only is causing it to BSOD, but screw up the timings as well. Memtest the sticks individually with both timings. Most likely one of the sticks was DOA.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've been using two of them fine for over a year, and the other two are at least 4 years old.

I was pretty bummed when I blue-screened, since I had just reinstalled windows.

Again, thank god for macs.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sticks do go bad, that's why they have warranties. Test them all individually anyway with both timings. Test them in pairs first if you want, that could save time. It seems like all you have is a bad stick. And Macs use RAM too, you know. Sticks can go bad just as well. RAM is RAM, it can fail no matter where you stick it. But yeah, thank god for other computers to post your problems on with.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The thing I appreciate most about my mac is that I have never, in the 1.3 years I've had it, EVER, had to reinstall the operating system. Windows, on the other hand, is a finicky beast.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't reinstalled XP in quite a few years. emot-ssh.gif

The timing being wrong isn't indicative of a problem by itself, a lot of the time the BIOS just doesn't pick up the proper timings and you have to set them manually. If the RAM is causing your crashes, though, tightening the timings will only make it worse. Install one stick at a time, memtest it for a while, and then move to the next -- you should find your problem. If two sticks are good separately, they should be fine together in dual channel, though stranger things have happened.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    After running test after test on individual sticks, pairs in different slots, and, finally, all four once again, it appears one of the DIMMs was simply unseated. I'd been running at 3-3-3-8 since I can remember, even though my memory is actually supposed to run at 2-3-3-6. I left memtest running all night at the correct timings and it appears the problem has solved itself.

Yay computers.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The thing I appreciate most about my mac is that I have never, in the 1.3 years I've had it, EVER, had to reinstall the operating system. Windows, on the other hand, is a finicky beast.

That's not really a windows problem... the reason macs are more stable is because most mac hardware is made by them or a very few number of other providers. Having a much tighter control over hardware and drivers makes it way easier to keep a system stable.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    While I happily admit that my computer has been running much better now that the hardware has been available for a few years than it did when I first got it, there really is no way I can take your point seriously.

It's like comparing a light switch to a Rube Goldberg contraption.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png