As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My First Guitar Hero (Wii or PS2?)

nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
A day at PAX has reinvigorated the gamer in me, and watching Tycho play Rock Band made me really, really want to pick up Guitar Hero. For whatever reason, all this time I've never even played it, and I loved me some Amplitude back in the day (full complete, through Insane, and I can still pick it up and play it like getting back on a bike). I'll see if I can try out a version of GH at a Gamestop with a demo machine set up just to make sure it's all I'm thinking it is (bring on the difficulty!), but given the systems I have and all that's out there, would I be better off getting it for the Wii or the PS2? I don't have an Xbox, 360 or PS3, and I'm still running a "fat" PS2, but it's not one of the launch ones and I've never had a single problem with it.

My PS2 has been collecting dust for a while, and since my available gaming time doesn't justify indulging the hardcore gamer in me and shelling out for a 360, I've decided to go back and discover all the great hits I missed in the later part of the PS2 lifecycle (God of War, SotC, Okami, etc.) now that they can be had on the cheap. While I was thinking about that today, I noticed that Guitar Hero 3 is coming out soon for both the Wii and PS2. Now, the Wii has a dedicated spot next to the TV in my room, being more current and all, but it seems stupid to pick up GH3 for it when I could get the game+wireless guitar bundle for the PS2 for the same price and be able to pick up GH1 and 2 later on for more songs.

Does anyone know of any plans to bring GH1 and 2 to the Wii, or collections of old songs? Oh, and also, Rock Band looks rad but doesn't factor into this. Got lots of friends but none of them play games =( Maybe I'll be able to play backup guitar for someone at PAX next year...

I'm busy with BioShock on PC and I'm putting off getting MP3 until I'm done with it, but I've had GH on the brain. Can anyone make any recommendations?

nlawalker on

• Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's going to be a Wii version of Guitar Hero 3. Other than that, no.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks, I've been wondering about that.

Anyone else have any recommendations? Is it worth it to get it for PS2 to enjoy the older titles, or should I forget about them and pick it up for Wii?

nlawalker on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, GH3 is made by a different development team. Until its released, we dont really know if it will be better or worse than GH2 by the original team. Id say get it for the PS2 where you can play GH2 for a month and then get GH3 when it comes out and use the same guitar.

KVW on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, what KVW said. I'll amend that you should probably avoid the 80's edition. What good songs are on there aren't very fun to play.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The original GH and GH2 are definately worth the investment, however there's another consideration you should....err...consider. If you have an HDTV, then you'll likely experience some significant lag when playing GH1. GH2 included a lag calibrator to help aleviate this problem, but that only makes the lag that much more of a problem if you try switching between the two. If you have a standard def tv, then you shouldn't have a problem either way...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the good advice. That's interesting about the lag... I had a friend who tried to play Amplitude hooked up to an LCD PC monitor and the lag made it just about unplayable. I'm still on SDTV so no problem there.

My initial plan was to wait for GH3 to get the slick new wireless guitar bundle, but I may just run out and get the wired GH2 bundle. Don't know if I want to wait until October...

nlawalker on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would like to piggy back this question but leave it more open.

I want to get Guitar Hero for my and the wife and have all systems. Which one is the best and which one will give us more options in the long run? I like the 360, myself, the best but the Wii version does look pretty cool.

But again any system recommindations...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wasn't aware there WERE differences between the versions, other than the Wii probably not getting DLC.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited August 2007
    I believe the Wii and PS2 versions will be a bit cheaper - PS2 because it's for an older system (I presume), and Wii because the tilt sensor and wireless hardware doesn't need to be built into the guitar itself, as it has a slot for the Wiimote.

nlawalker on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've mostly played on the PS2, but I've noticed that on the 360 controller, the fret buttons seem a little closer together, which helps if you have trouble with the spread. It's been a while since I've touched either version, so I don't remember if there is much else by way of physical differences.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

I want to get Guitar Hero for my and the wife and have all systems. Which one is the best and which one will give us more options in the long run? I like the 360, myself, the best but the Wii version does look pretty cool.

Well, if you want Guitar Hero now, you're stuck with the 360 version of GH2. Either version of GH3 will be fine, I think, if you don't care about DLC.

Also, obligatory mention of Rock Band.

One Thousand Cables on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well, if you want Guitar Hero now, you're stuck with the 360 version of GH2. Either version of GH3 will be fine, I think, if you don't care about DLC.

I kind of want it now and price is not an issue. What I really want is a version that can be more universal.

For Example: I like the PS2 version because I can play Guitar Hero 1 & 2 + 80's. But I like the wireless idea for the 360.

I'm really kind of stuck ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    There are wireless controllers for the PS2 guitars. They're pretty nice, too.

But seriously, the 80's edition is $50, and only has 30 songs. On top of that, it's really not that fun to play. I returned my copy the day after I got it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If that's the case then I'd go ahead and get it for the 360. That's where the series is going anyway, and you get some bonus tracks in the deal.

Also, re: 80s--while I personally enjoy it, you really aren't missing anything.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited August 2007

I kind of want it now and price is not an issue. What I really want is a version that can be more universal.

For Example: I like the PS2 version because I can play Guitar Hero 1 & 2 + 80's. But I like the wireless idea for the 360.

I'm really kind of stuck ...

After thinking a bit and taking everyone's advice here, I think what I'm going to end up doing is getting the GH2 wired guitar bundle for PS2, since I don't care that much about wireless. If GH3 is as good as its predecessors, I can pick it up later, and I can get the guitar bundle for that if I want the wireless guitar (plus then I'd have two guitars).

It seems to be the best way to go, considering that you can get it now as well. If you really want wireless, instead of getting the GH2 bundle you can find the official PS2 wireless guitar for around $45 or so if you shop around, I think. Then you'll have your wireless and access to all the GH games.

Yeah, I've heard from everyone that 80's sucks, but having access to GH1 and 2 seems like it'll be worth it.

nlawalker on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, Rock Band is reportedly coming of for PS2 also, so it might be something to factor in. :P

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2007
    AggroChan wrote: »
    Also, Rock Band is reportedly coming of for PS2 also, so it might be something to factor in. :P
    But if you have a 360 or a PS3, you would be borderline retarded to buy that game on the PS2, considering that system is on the way out (meaning Rock Band 2 or whatever may not get made, leaving you with incompatible 200 dollar controllers) and it will be very unlikely that the longevity of buying new albums weekly will cary over to the PS2 HDD, which less than 5% of PS2 owners probably even have, and over 50% don't have the option of one at all via the slim design.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SoaL wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there WERE differences between the versions, other than the Wii probably not getting DLC.

The Wii's getting DLC.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't like the 360's guitar.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png