As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle Engine Aquila?

AoiAoi Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was sorting through the cheapie game bin at EB the other day when I came across this game for four bucks. For some reason I think I remember people around here raving about the game. I looked it up, and the reviews seem rather middle of the road, so I was wondering if I was remembering the right game, if it's worth the cash, and if I could get any impressions from people around here with regards to this older title.

Aoi on

• Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i only played the demo, but i thought it was fun as all hell, and ive been looking for a copy since.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was great, but eventually I got to a level that just kicked my ass.

The best part of it was that my PC copy was only about $4.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

What was interesting about it? Just a typical console/pc stompy mech action game?? Much customization to the mechs?

Aoi on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

What was interesting about it? Just a typical console/pc stompy mech action game?? Much customization to the mechs?

It was just really fast-paced (after you train for a few levels, of course), and arcadey.

The mech was a big tentacle walker thing, and it could retract its tentacles and fly around on a limited basis before landing again to recharge. Also, for the time, the levels were fairly big and open.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Really one of the last console gen's under appreciated gems.

etoychest on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

No its just a standard arcadey shooter, the mech was like a crazy robotech meets war of the worlds thing.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yea, I got to the end of this game btu never beat the final mission, some of them have timers that are just stupidly hard to beat with otu sheer luck. Theres also a level where you have to jump between battleships and stuff in the ocean because your mech can't swim, annoying as hell since it means everything you blow up leaves you with less places to be.

Fun game though, and you can play certain missions co-op, but it was a very poorly done feature IMHO.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought the game was tons of fun. There wasn't much to it, but god there were a lot of things to shoot at. If I find the game in a bargain bin, I'll pick up my own copy.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ICRICR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was a fun shooter, but I recommend covering your eyes and saying 'LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU' during the cutscenes because they were awful. The character you played was a complete dick, and the enemy never moved beyond 'MWAHAHAHA WE ARE EVIL FOR NO APPARENT REASON'. For those who like that sort of thing, there is an encyclopedia included in the game which has background info on all the units and weapons. It must have been written by someone other than the scriptwriter, because it it's actually pretty cool.

Also: try it out multiplayer. Annoyingly it only had a splitscreen mode, but it was pretty cool supporting your army and trying to take out the other player.

ICR on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Battle Engine Aquila was an excellent game. Not overly long or complicated, it was just pure fun for a good 8-10 hours. I was really surprised by how balanced everything was. In mech-mode you're slower and have energy shields. In flight-mode, you had access to some ridiculously powerful weapons and moved really quickly, but your "shield" constantly drained the longer you flew. Worked perfectly. And the game was also really good looking, with huge armies on the screen duking it out.

So yes, for four dollars... get it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought it was pretty good, especially for only a few dollars. However, a couple things bugged me about it.

First, the scale between the cutscenes and the in-game graphics is way off. In the cutscenes, your character has to lay down in the cockpit because the mech isn't much larger than a car or small tank. But in game, you utterly dwarf your opponents, who appear almost ant-sized. So either you play as a member of a race of giants, or you're fighting the Smurfs.

Also, despite how much they hammered the fact that this is a water planet and everyone lives around the water and stuff, why did they make a mech that can't float!?

Dartboy on