As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX '08!

xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in PAX Archive
Is anyone already prepping for PAX 08 besides me? I'm already getting my group of friends together, when do passes usually go on sale? This time I'm not driving to tacoma and back, we're getting a hotel. My group already is in the double digits, is there a special deal when you have over 10 people? I remember reading that some place.

xxhennersxx on

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If my two video game crazy friends do not go with me next year, I will go crazy. And then will all be crazy, but for different reasons...

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm already trying to round up people to go on the train trip next year so we have the numbers to fill a whole car.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not even thinking about pax until after the holiday season, so many games to play. When we're back in gaming drought time I'll be thinking about PAX, until then it's all about new games!

Draknodred on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm fuckin' stoked already.

And EVERYONE ON THE WEST COAST NEEDS TO TAKE THE AWESOMETRAIN!

it's awesome.

WiFi internets and DS's and Consoles.

The train trip rocks.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Theres a possibility of an east coast pax. I would consider a train trip if it doesn't take too long.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    neuroslice wrote: »

it's awesome.

The train trip rocks.

I'm not west coast but I totally want to take the train trip :(

Draknodred on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    neuroslice wrote: »

it's awesome.

The train trip rocks.

I might consider getting in on the Train Trip next year.

I was thinking about it a lot this year, as I love traveling by train, but flying was easier and cheaper from KC. It would have cost a little over twice as much to hit the Southwest Chief to LA and then head up to Seattle on the trip as it did to fly out.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My group already is in the double digits, is there a special deal when you have over 10 people? I remember reading that some place.

There was something on the official PAX page with a contact email for groups over 10 - they might be able to give you a break in the pre-reg cost. Definitely look into it.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm going back. Also, whoever said you should bring a shirt/day is a liar. There's more than enough swag to wear. PAX was totally worth the long, long, long flight.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sl1pstream wrote: »
    I'm going back. Also, whoever said you should bring a shirt/day is a liar. There's more than enough swag to wear. PAX was totally worth the long, long, long flight.

PAX was awesome .. and it better have been, because my flights up to Seattle were delayed three and two hours, respectively. Mother Nature is not a fan of Gabe and Tycho, apparently. I'm trying to brag about how awesome PAX '07 was as much as possible to recruit more people from around here locally to go. Plus, saving money. That shit be costly.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I'm excited. I'll probably do the drive again, too, why not.

Chizzer on
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    '05 I did the drive. '06 I did the WCST. '07 I did the flight. '08 I'm thinking... boat trip? I still haven't heard anything about the awesometrain, save for it being awesome. Staying in a hotel within spitting distance of the center is TOTALLY worth it though, and I now regret the meager amounts of money saved in years past. Depending on funds, next year may be the Year of the Suite, since having DS challenges in a whirlpool tub may well be at the pinnacle of unimaginable luxuries.

Every year around March I start thinking about the cost, the time, the distance, and whether or not it will actually be worth it all just to play some games with thousands of strangers. Then every year around the beginning of September I think...

I'll see you all next year. :)

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jenelle wrote: »
    '05 I did the drive. '06 I did the WCST. '07 I did the flight. '08 I'm thinking... boat trip? I still haven't heard anything about the awesometrain, save for it being awesome. Staying in a hotel within spitting distance of the center is TOTALLY worth it though, and I now regret the meager amounts of money saved in years past. Depending on funds, next year may be the Year of the Suite, since having DS challenges in a whirlpool tub may well be the pinnacle of unimaginable luxuries.

I'll see you all there.

Train FTW.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PAX '07 was amazing! No question I'm headed for PAX '08 :) Long 5.5 hour flight, but it's totally worth it. The usual time they start talking about/planning next year's PAX is January, so only about 4 months or so!

Last time the countdown to PAX '07 started at about 220 days remaining I think. I'd hold off on hotel bookings until they reserve the rooms at the block rate for next year. I know Mike Fehlauer will be working with the hotels event staff again to reserve blocks of rooms for the next one. Rates seem to be done in the Feb-March timeframe, judging by this year.

Game on!

GenXer on
    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was at '04, and have wanted to go back every year since. It being right on top of school starting has always hindered me, but no more (especially now that it supercedes E3). I need to know when PAX '08 is so I can book tickets as soon as possible so its more affordable. Hopefully, they'll let us know by January.

terrix on
  • Options
    ZarluneZarlune Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is anyone already prepping for PAX 08 besides me? I'm already getting my group of friends together, when do passes usually go on sale? This time I'm not driving to tacoma and back, we're getting a hotel. My group already is in the double digits, is there a special deal when you have over 10 people? I remember reading that some place.

If it's the same as it was this year, it's a 20% discount for groups over 10... at least that's what I think the email said when I contacted about the discount earlier this year.

Zarlune on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I rode the bus for 1 day 15 hours to pax and 2 days back to Omaha.

yeah, taking the plane next year.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I was planning stuff for PAX '08 during PAX '07.

Gonna be great.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    GodSinGodSin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PAX'08 ... I'm still recovering from the hangover(s) from this years PAX lol
    I love the new place, so much bigger then last year.

GodSin on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Theres a possibility of an east coast pax. I would consider a train trip if it doesn't take too long.

in an interview Khoo did a while back, he said that 08 was going to bring about East Coast PAX.

let's hope.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HaleHale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I rode the bus for 1 day 15 hours to pax and 2 days back to Omaha.

yeah, taking the plane next year.

Dear sweet Gaming Gods, man! I'm a veteran of long bus trips to cons, but 2 days?! My 20 hour trips seem like nothing compared to that.

And yes, bring on PAX '08! I shall be of legal drinking age, the group I stayed with is already making plans to go again and the group is growing, and all will be well with the world.

Hale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

in an interview Khoo did a while back, he said that 08 was going to bring about East Coast PAX.

let's hope.

I hope there's a seperate one...

like PAX East

and PAX West

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If PAX is in the East Coast next year I will shit a brick. I loved being able to take a short half-hour bus ride from my Seattle house to downtown Seattle. I don't think I could even make it to PAX if it were on the east coats, I already have a summer flight to see my dad and I go to several festivals. By the end of all that I don't think I could have money for more flights. Omigod...ohmigod...can't breath...STAY HERE PAX!!!!

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    PlayPlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PAX won't leave Seattle until we use up all the space in Washington.

Play on
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    An East Coast PAX would be difficult and expensive to pull off without scaling it down. You have to keep in mind that 90+% of the enforcers are local and Penny Arcade itself is Seattle based.

North on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can get 16 people to rent a beach house for a week long lan party, but I can only get one of those same game nerds to come with me to Seattle for PAX.

Also I don't want to hear any bitching if you West Coasters have to come to the East Coast for PAX, you think we like flying/driving across the country? It is a thrill a minute. We all know that won't happen though because not only are Gabe and Tycho lazy and also don't want to fly to the east coast, but with several big developers nearby it doesn't make sense to move it to somewhere on the east coast.

I think it would be super awesome to have it in DC though, that way the politicians could see how great gaming is.

Also in reply to North above me, I'm 100% certain they could field an army of enforcers on the east coast just as easily as they do it in Seattle. It wouldn't be any more expensive really for PA either I don't think. Mind you I definitely don't see them having an east coast PAX unfortunately.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    An east coast PAX would be a huge logistical nightmare, I bet. They would require an almost entirely fresh Enforcer crew, and would need a way to get the veterans they need to manage the enforcers out to the east. PAX is easy for them to handle in Seattle since they're already there, but to run PAX on the other side of the continent, either in place or in addition to the west coast, would require a much larger effort on those involved.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SpecTrE3353SpecTrE3353 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Forget moving the current show to the east coast... just make it a Bi-yearly event. West Coast PAX in the summer, East Coast PAX in the winter. We will all be winners!

SpecTrE3353 on
    WGGBannerSwitch.png
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think you underestimating the amount of work that Robert, Amber, Kristin, and the rest of the crew put into PAX each year. They would have to cancel child's play to put on a show during the winter and I really don't think they would even consider doing that.

North on
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First off, there is nothing wrong with an east coast anything.

Second, there is nothing wrong with Seattle outside of the high elevation in downtown. I had a good time this year and the people were surprisingly friendly everywhere. Sitting down in the mall eating , families of people came up to Moe and I asking about what the convention was for , who was attending, etc.

It was very surprising to see how friendly the people were. Even the QFC gave a free coupon card to us without having to sign up so we could save money on our purchase. If this was on the east coast, most of the attendees would be killed and eaten.

For those of you complaining, save up money for the year to either take a plane flight or even get on the Cross Country Supertrip. I came out from new jersey this year, it cost me 200 in gas and 200 in hotel stay total for there and back. The gas was really 185 , but there were toll roads.

Thats a hundred bucks out of your paycheck for a few weeks. Boom you are at PAX next year. The drive is long but it was cool to meet new people on the trip. In a 7 to 8 car caravan for most the trip , then to an 11 car caravan at the closure of the trip, it was great to know at least 20 people prior to going into the Expo center. I ran into people constantly that I knew from the trip only, which was cool. It was a good way to enjoy the show and BS about events for a little bit.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Agreed. I love the attitude and friendliness of Seattle. My only regret in living here is that I can't really join one of the Supertrips. Well, I suppose I could fly east first and then...

Houn on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    At previous paxs they've been asked about East Coast Pax, it's odd no one did this year.

futility on
  • Options
    SpecTrE3353SpecTrE3353 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    North wrote: »
    I think you underestimating the amount of work that Robert, Amber, Kristin, and the rest of the crew put into PAX each year. They would have to cancel child's play to put on a show during the winter and I really don't think they would even consider doing that.

I was only kidding :P

Sarcasm never goes over well on the interweb.

SpecTrE3353 on
    WGGBannerSwitch.png
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    futility wrote: »
    At previous paxs they've been asked about East Coast Pax, it's odd no one did this year.

What did they say, at previous paxs

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Play wrote: »

It is a possibility.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dondums wrote: »
    PAX was awesome .. and it better have been, because my flights up to Seattle were delayed three and two hours, respectively.

Seriously:
    Flight 1: Sorry, our computer systems had some problems, we'll have to check everyone in manually.
    Flight 2: Sorry, there's a plane behind us that's having technical difficulties, we'll have to wait until they tow it away.

Flight 3: We're having electrical problems.
    Flight 4 went well though.

Problem on flight 2: Kid kept kicking me, kicked against my tray, spilled part of my beer. Parents didn't say a damn thing.
    Problem on flight 3: Fell asleep, woke up to a horrible, horrible smell. Probably caused by person sitting next to me.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    proXimity wrote: »

It is a possibility.

I'm still working on my big proposal to get them to come to Omaha

much bigger convention center, and smack dead center of the continent.

also, Seattle isn't friendly. Nobody fucking looks at each other. what is the deal with that?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    also, Seattle isn't friendly. Nobody fucking looks at each other. what is the deal with that?

Hmmm I found the opposite to be true, I got talked to by tons of people, even just random passers by on the street generally smiled or said hi as they passed.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It is a possibility.

Except... its nebraska.

Nobody fucking wants to go there for anything.

You should post said proposal on the forums. I could use a laugh right about now.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

It is a possibility.

Except... its nebraska.

Nobody fucking wants to go there for anything.

You should post said proposal on the forums. I could use a laugh right about now.

As much as I don't want to support such blatant bashing, I agree that I don't want to goto Nebraska. Given the option of Nebraska or Seattle, I'd rather goto Seattle, even though it is a longer trip for me.

At least have it in a cool place if you're truly going to have it in a central location, like Chicago or even St. Louis is better than Nebraska.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go to Nebraska if they were crazy and held PAX there, but that seems highly unlikely.

I still think the best non-Seattle location would be Washington DC, but maybe I'm biased.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
This discussion has been closed.