As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

low (no) latency full-duplex 256kbps VoIP?

beebs_basicbeebs_basic Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Any commercial (or free) VoIP software out there that will do 256kbps 44.1mhz with extreme low latency?

Man, my head hurts. Been reading up on this all night, essentially trying to figure out how to connect two remote audio production studios together with the highest quality audio link possible between them. ISDN/Telos systems are available, but I'd rather not have to deal with ISDN.

There are some commercial programs like source-connect and digitalmusician.net that will do it for a lump sum, or monthly fee respectively, but just wondering if there's another solution? Preferrably stand-alone without the need for a VST/RTAS enabled audio DAW.

I stumbled across JACK and NetJACK which reading up on them seem to be the tech that would be the backend of a program that does what I'd be looking for, but I know nothing about coding or LINUX and this would have to run on a standard Windows box.

Thoughts? Solutions?

EvilBadman wrote:
I still have no idea who they are. And I don't trust people with no avatars or sigs.

Happy?
beebs_basic on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    low (no) latency .... how to connect two remote audio production studios together with the highest quality audio link possible

Those are two very distinct problems. You need a low latency connection before you put data on the wire. I would think you need a dedicated circuit. Depending on the distance you're talking T1 (or fractional) or possibly metro-e.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes