As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there anything we can't sugarcoat?

13»

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    To sugarcoat the Tiananmen square thing is ludicrously easy, and is routinely done. All you do is just show the student standing up to the tank, with the driver unsure of what to do and the whole chinese military machine unable to advance because this one kid believes in democracy and freedom so much. Its glorious, its heroic, you want to be that guy.

We see this part of the scene so much that people don't even really know that he most likely got taken away and killed, alongside 1000s of other people (well, between hundreds and thousands) and that his whole brave stance was absolutely futile.

Tiananmen square is easily one of the examples of the most sugarcoated events in human history.

There is, I think, a difference between "sugarcoating" and "romanticizing."
    I don't know - less then you're implying I would say. In one version "oh man how heroic", in the other version "he was dealt with by the Chinese authorities later obviously".

I think he's right it's often and easly sugarcoated. I'll have to keep thinking.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Pocahontas.

Are you talking about the Dinsey movie? Because if so, that wasn't sugar coating, just plain stupid.

Maybe Mulan, what with the Mongols fighting the Imperial army, but that's a stretch. The Mongols didn't settle in China like the Europeans settled in America; Mulan had the invading forces and battles but not the culture clash, if I remember right.

The Little Mermaid had a theme of seduction, didn't it? The Ariel girl had to kiss the guy to win the bet and even had her Jamaican crab friend create mood music about getting to second base.

I once heard an uttelry creepy rape analogy about the little mermaid, its was something to do where her father discovers her cave and smashes everything up.

Even then, the story centres around a girl who gives up her voice in order to get a human body from the waist down, to win the affection of a guy. Its not hard to make puberty/sexual awakening comparsons to the whole plot.
    Cojones wrote: »
    Smoking and self harm are two that i can think of from the top of my head.

Scientology was another good one, kudos to who got that one.

Scientology is routinely sugercoated. Its known primarily as "that kooky religion that Tom Cruise goes crazy for, ho ho ho"

Jeedan on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can sugarcoat racism by making the group you're hating on goofy or funny or harmless. Like those singing crows from Dumbo. "You eva see a house fly? I believe I seen about evrthing, when I's seen an elephant flyyy."

Dr. Seuss also had those yellow monsters with the stars on their bellies. I forget what they're called but that helps makes the concept of racism digestible for kids.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    To sugarcoat the Tiananmen square thing is ludicrously easy, and is routinely done. All you do is just show the student standing up to the tank, with the driver unsure of what to do and the whole chinese military machine unable to advance because this one kid believes in democracy and freedom so much. Its glorious, its heroic, you want to be that guy.

We see this part of the scene so much that people don't even really know that he most likely got taken away and killed, alongside 1000s of other people (well, between hundreds and thousands) and that his whole brave stance was absolutely futile.

Tiananmen square is easily one of the examples of the most sugarcoated events in human history.

There is, I think, a difference between "sugarcoating" and "romanticizing."
    I don't know - less then you're implying I would say. In one version "oh man how heroic", in the other version "he was dealt with by the Chinese authorities later obviously".

That wasn't a student.

That was an office worker.

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Some of this stuff isn't really sugarcoating. In fact a lot of this thread isn't really about sugar coating. God that's a stupid peachy little term.

"Sugarcoating" is more like making a euphemism.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't think anyone knew what happened to Tank Man afterwards.

I did recently read something about a show or something, somewhere, parodying the Tienanmen Square moment though. Now it's bugging me.

I believe that was superbad, where the tank man is a cock drawing.

Sam on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you want to go seriously creepy, try and sugarcoat eugenics. People like to make off-hand remarks about it. Like they want to live in a world where your right to live and procreate is predetermined and totally unknown to you.
    Most people have one unfavorable gene variant or the other. Some are really rare, and only give problems when your partner has the same variant and passes it as well as you to your child (recessive), so you might never know. Other symptoms might only show up when you get older. People can act so stupidly confident of their pedigree it is insulting.

On the other hand. There is a novel approach to eugenics that works on the principle of the carrot instead of the stick. With a complex procedure, you can already gene-type sperm cells (not sure about eggs) before fertilization. This circumvents the whole 'baby-killer' conundrum, so I imagine insurance companies will want to pay for such procedures in the future.

Doesn't take away the 'Star Trek' arguments against such 'positive eugenics' however. Not having a genetic disease your father could have given to you hardly sets you apart from normal humans. But not ever getting sick is (morally) a small step from that. Will we go further and make superhumans? Will they go all 'KHAAAN!' on us? Would regulation hamper our development as a species? Is this massively off-topic?
    Think it is :( sorry about that. Blame my train of thought, it wont stay on track

peterdevore on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dont know if this has been said, but just go ahead and try to sugarcoat Adolf Hitler.

You can't do it, you just can't.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hitler eating a watermelon

But seriously. I'm sure Hitler did do some things right that the Weimar-republik didn't (they got some things wrong). I believe unemployment was at an all time low once the war got started. :P

peterdevore on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I dont know if this has been said, but just go ahead and try to sugarcoat Adolf Hitler.

You can't do it, you just can't.

Are you kidding?

Have you seen Little Nicky?

People -love- to turn old enemies into lovable comedic caricatures. Especially ones with cute mustaches.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Baby rape

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Could probably be done via Baby Herman.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No one could rape Baby Herman; that giant would just sit on his attacker, crushing him to death.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's Baby Huey.

--

Baby Stewie would be another candidate.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Dr. Seuss also had those yellow monsters with the stars on their bellies. I forget what they're called but that helps makes the concept of racism digestible for kids.

You idiot, that story was explicitly anti-racist, using simple imagery to demonstrate how silly the idea is.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wonder, is it possible to sugarcoat The Cat?

I keed, I keed.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

You idiot, that story was explicitly anti-racist, using simple imagery to demonstrate how silly the idea is.
    There was also that butter-side down vs butter-side up one about nuclear holocaust with a healthy dosage of Dr Strangelove.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SalviusSalvius Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Baby rape

Rape-Bo!

rapebo2.jpg

Salvius on
    current.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You have to explain racism in the first half before you can explain anti-racism in the second half. All the first half was was acknowledging that one physical appearance is superior to another while some guy with a wacky machine profited the whole time. I don't know why those Sneeches didn't beat the crap out of that troublemaker and demand their money back by the end.

I'm going to watch that episode where the Simpsons travel to Australia but I'll scowl the whole time. :x

EDIT: Nuclear holocaust sugarcoated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BAdYk89UlI

emnmnme on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You have to explain racism in the first half before you can explain anti-racism in the second half. All the first half was was acknowledging that one physical appearance is superior to another while some guy with a wacky machine profited the whole time. I don't know why those Sneeches didn't beat the crap out of that troublemaker and demand their money back by the end.

Man what?

I got the satire when I was a kid the first time I read that book.

How do you not get it?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Simpsons goes to Australia was awesome.

EDIT: Jesus christ that video is scary beyond all reason.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "Duck and Cover" video is only a small part of the horror of the nuclear war propaganda. "Atomic Cafe" is an excellent documentary that is almost all simply clips from propaganda of the period that i reccomend to everyone.

One involves a kid in a hazmat suit being taught to ride a bike by his dad. He falls over and it's horrible and hilarious.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "Duck and Cover" video is only a small part of the horror of the nuclear war propaganda. "Atomic Cafe" is an excellent documentary that is almost all simply clips from propaganda of the period that i reccomend to everyone.

One involves a kid in a hazmat suit being taught to ride a bike by his dad. He falls over and it's horrible and hilarious.

You know, it's how it poked fun of this propaganda that made me <3The Iron Giant so much.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Watch those Sneetches again. The inventor is playing off of racial insecurities and, while the sneetches learn their lesson by the end (we're all equal no matter what we look like on the outside), that's like a minute of a twenty minute show.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    pdk01 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    [url=]Sugarcoat this.[/url]

*removed*

Fawkes on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    You really need to put a warning on that, along with some giant NSFW tags or something. Jesus Christ, dude.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fawkes wrote: »
    Sugarcoat this.

*removed*
    Him? He's obviously removed his head and stored it elsewhere for safekeeping, although for politeness' sake, he really should've wiped up afterwards.

It seems like a remarkably good idea to reduce wear and tear on the face. Perhaps you should try it?

And since I'm not sure if the term 'sugarcoated' has actually been correctly used more than once or twice in this thread, sugar-coated Hitler.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    In case anyone is interested, the picture was of a guy hit by a sniper round, and missing most of his head. Point being, you might be able to sugarcoat war as a vague concept (Hollywood certainly tries its hardest); you can't do it face to ex-face.

Apparently this is too shocking for most people, but on the other hand, if they were exposed to the nasty side a little more, they might not be so gung-ho & casual about sending soldiers off to conflicts like the ones we're in, and might show a little more respect when they get back. Worth a jailing methinks.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, because the Penny-Arcade forums are a seething pit of pro-War and send more troops to Iraq sentiment.

You have brought light to a place long dark good sir! We salute your sacrifice for the cause! *golf clap*

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    What the fuck is wrong with you, Fawkes?

Also, a general note to our forumers, for those of you with autism or something: we're not a haven for pictures of dismembered bodies or snuff flicks. Torn-up corpses qualify as "shock images" the same way as prolapsed rectums.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png