As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dying video card?

victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
When I arrived home just now with a friend to show him the Dell 2407WFP-HC I bought a month ago, I loaded Trackmania on Steam to show him both the game how the monitor looks as he's interested in buying the monitor.

As I loaded the game, I got a screen full of vertical segmented line artifacts on the screen that still displayed patches of the actual material that should be seen (Trackmania's menu). Think of when the NES got bumped by a relative/friend walking by, and suddenly you saw graphical corruption.

Then I loaded Counter Strike: Source to see if it was just the game itself. Counter Strike loaded like that also. But the weird thing was that Aero didn't have any artifacts, and neither did Stellarium (A 3D Astronomy Map app, similat to Google Earth, only that it positions the sky in real-time according to your location).

In a panic, I restarted my system to see if it was just a hiccup, and after a suspiciously long boot time (The screen stayed blank with no hard drive activity for 20 seconds as it was about to load the Vista Welcome orb animation. This has never happened before.), testing CS:S and Trackmania ran just fine without any artifacts in sight. I rebooted my system again to see if the oddly long boot time occurred again, and it didn't. It loaded as if nothing happened.

Could it have been just a steam issue, Vista issue, other hardware related issue or is my video card on it's way out?

EDIT: Oh and it isn't the fan. It still works like it should and temps are at normal levels.

It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
victor_c26 on