As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ugly and Burly: Rugby World Cup

Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open thatTrap Door!Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Social Entropy++
untitled1we8.jpg
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

So the Rugby World Cup starts on the 7th, with France hosting although there will be matches played in Murrayfield(Scotland) and the Millenium Stadium(Wales). Scotland to win :P

WR = World Ranking

Pool A:
England WR:7
South Africa WR:4
Samoa WR:10
USA WR:15
Tonga WR:14

Pool B:
Australia WR:2
Wales WR:8
Fiji WR:12
Canada WR:13
Japan WR:18

Pool C:
New Zealand WR:1
Scotland WR:11
Italy WR:9
Romania WR:16
Portugal WR:22

Pool D;
France WR:3
Ireland WR:5
Argentina WR:6
Georgia WR:17
Namibia WR:24

Woo! Speculation!
Pool Winners:
Pool A, No idea, South Africa?
Pool B, Wales to dominate.
Pool C, New Zealand should rape, although it will be interesting who comes second, Italy or Scotland.
Pool D, It's between France and Ireland, but I think Ireland have the edge.

Fixtures(Click)

Woo! Huge, ugly men, jumping on each other.
Rugby players are the ugliest of the ugly.
51233accredrn4.jpg

Let us discuss this fucking awesome game.
Also someone tell the British media to stop going on about Johnny Wilkinson, there is more than one fucking player in the England team.

If you know nothing about rugby:Link Videos

Ginger Mijango on

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So is team USA expected to suck at this world cup too?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pool D, It's between France and Ireland, but I think Ireland have the edge.

This is our only chance to win anything seeing as we've lost the secret of winning the eurovision

FAQ on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    If it's not Basketball, of course USA is going to suck.

We can't even fucking win a Baseball cup. Unless it's little league, then we'd have an offbeat chance.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The US sucks at everything thats not football, baseball, basketball and maybe hockey. We're adequate in a couple Olympic sports, but for the most part, we suck in everything else, especially those crazy European sports, like Soccer and Rugby.

Soccer had a SHOT here with Beckham, but now he's hurt and won't be heard from all year and Americans stopped caring.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the Haka the All Blacks do, as does anyone who's ever seen it.

i kinda wish it got more air play in US tv stations, because it seems like an interesting sport. I think some dudes get tossed in the air, then they get smashed, then they all feel each other up, then someone kicks the rugby. Also, there's a hooker on the field. I don't know.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    wallpaper_rugby_1280x768.jpg

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wales can finally put a purpose to their exsistance

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    other than banging sheep i mean

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    The US sucks at everything thats not football, baseball, basketball and maybe hockey. We're adequate in a couple Olympic sports, but for the most part, we suck in everything else, especially those crazy European sports, like Soccer and Rugby.

Soccer had a SHOT here with Beckham, but now he's hurt and won't be heard from all year and Americans stopped caring.
    In Baseball, Japan shuts everyone down.
    Hockey, there really aren't that many talented US born players. They're pretty much all Canadian or European.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We're pretty good at golf, bowling and probably beach volleyball.

Pretty much anything that can actively involve drinking.

Rage on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    rugby is a variation of american football, why are they supposedly terrible at it

Nuzak on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Samoa AND Tonga?
    Man the US is going to get fucked up something fierce.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    You were good at skiing.

We're always good at skiing.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nuzak wrote: »
    rugby is a variation of american football, why are they supposedly terrible at it

Because most dudes who would probably be awesome at Rugby play football in the hopes of making millions. Basically, the only dudes who play rugby in the US are rich white dudes in frats.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Because the two games are almost nothing alike maybe? Like at all. The ball, the rules, the roles and responsibilities of positions, the scoring system.

Nothing except tackling and a lopsided ball.

Also, most American athletes aren't used to drinking on the sidelines.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    I like the Haka the All Blacks do, as does anyone who's ever seen it.

i kinda wish it got more air play in US tv stations, because it seems like an interesting sport. I think some dudes get tossed in the air, then they get smashed, then they all feel each other up, then someone kicks the rugby. Also, there's a hooker on the field. I don't know.

I think the BBC will be broadcasting matches on the net, they did with the 6 Nations, so I don't see why they won't now.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Butters wrote: »

Because the two games are almost nothing alike maybe? Like at all. The ball, the rules, the roles and responsibilities of positions, the scoring system.

they are closer cousins than most other sports i can think of

Nuzak on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I cannot see England making it through the first round to be honest.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Turns out BBC don't have the World Cup rights, ITV do so i don't know if they will be broadcasting matches on the net.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Butters wrote: »

they are closer cousins than most other sports i can think of

This is considerably less extreme but have you ever seen baseball players try to play fast-pitch softball? The adjustment required is incredible. The bats are different, the gloves have much wider netting, and hitting is way different. Softballs have an entirely different trajectory than baseballs (requiring a different style of swing) and difference in distance between the pitcher and batter makes things very different too.

Though the games may be similar what is expected from the player athletically is totally different. The same is true among rugby and football.

Butters on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Pool A: England to come on top. I think they have a great team and they should perform well. Somoa and Tongo in second and third.

Pool B: Japan (YAY!) to come on top. I don't know how well they do, but I am rooting for them. Wales, and Fiji to come out second and third. From my views Canada shouldn't perform well.

Pool C: Scotland on top because like England they are good. Italy and New Zealand to come second and third.

Pool D: France to come on top. Argentina and Ireland to come second and third.

I hope the final will be Japan vs England. That would be awesome.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Tonga and the All Blacks, All Blacks doing the "Haka", Tonga Responding.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BCKZqDLUM
    Pool A: England to come on top. I think they have a great team and they should perform well. Somoa and Tongo in second and third.

Pool B: Japan (YAY!) to come on top. I don't know how well they do, but I am rooting for them. Wales, and Fiji to come out second and third. From my views Canada shouldn't perform well.

Pool C: Scotland on top because like England they are good. Italy and New Zealand to come second and third.

Pool D: France to come on top. Argentina and Ireland to come second and third.

I hope the final will be Japan vs England. That would be awesome.
    Pool A: No way England are coming out top, they don't have the same World Cup team they did last time and are on poor form.
    Pool B: Japan, I don't reckon they will come out on top with Wales and Australia in there
    Pool C: The fucking ALL BLACKS, Scotland are highly unlikely to beat them, Scotland just got their ass handed to them from South Africa, but they did come out on top with Ireland.
    Pool D; France are in with a chance like I said, but i reckon Ireland will be top, France second, Argentina close behind

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am friends with several of the Scottish U21's squad. The big boys team are terrifying. I wouldnt like to line up against them.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gazamc wrote: »
    I am friends with several of the Scottish U21's squad. The big boys team are terrifying. I wouldnt like to line up against them.

I sat on a plane going to scotland with a school's rugby team. Man was the coach strong and huge. I think he said most of the boys have futures in the Scotish Nation team. Looking at them, I tend to agree.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I sat on a plane going to scotland with a school's rugby team. Man was the coach strong and huge. I think he said most of the boys have futures in the Scotish Nation team. Looking at them, I tend to agree.

Rugby is a huuuuge thing in Scotland. Being from Edinburgh (Murrayfield, home of Scottish Rugby) you tend to meet a lot of the players who end up in the teams.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ireland, New Zealand final?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Rugby is a huuuuge thing in Scotland. Being from Edinburgh (Murrayfield, home of Scottish Rugby) you tend to meet a lot of the players who end up in the teams.

My uncles lives in Kircaldy.

Yeah, I guess. But those kids were something else. I wonder if I could notice them if I saw them?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I guess. But those kids were something else. I wonder if I could notice them if I saw them?

Rugby players tend to all look verrry similar. Huge hulking mass with sqaure shoulders and a square jaw.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Rugby players tend to all look verrry similar. Huge hulking mass with sqaure shoulders and a square jaw.

and a nose 90 degrees from the norm.
    Also Kirkcaldy.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

and a nose 90 degrees from the norm.

Covered in vomit and spilled beer.

At least that's my experience.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think you're thinking of all English players, guys. The All Blacks have definitely had a few players who've been on the lanky and/or short side in the last couple of years.

The haka is the fucking oddest thing to do before a game but hell it would probably scare any team that hadn't played the ABs before. Its just comical watching some of the white farmer boys doing it though. Anyone who is a Pacific Islander or who has a beard would scare me if I saw it in person.

the "new" haka that the ABs do occassionally D:

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Relatively funny clip, involving the Haka:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nmy6OaZEAhE

To change the topic somewhat, I think Chris Paterson is a fantastic kicker and highly underrated, in my opinion he's better than Johnny Wilkinson.

The media really need to shut the fuck up about him, stupid bastard pundits, he's not going to be playing alone fucking taking on the world by himself and winning, there is more than him on the team, injury prone over hyped fucker.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ahaha bloody scots.

Awesome I didn't know the Wilkinson hate extended outside NZ.

I think most people over here hated him because everyone saw him at first as bringing a gridiron style of play to the game by being good at kicking and fuckall else, getting his head kicked in if he tried to make a run. Guys like Dan Carter in the ABs may suffer a bit from being overhyped too but fuck at least they can take a tackle and not crack like an eggshell.

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Exactly, this is why Chris Paterson is better than him and one of the best (if not best) Scottish Rugby players ever, he's fast, brilliant kicker, always seems to be where the ball is and scores tries to boot.

I can't say I know much about teams outside the UK, Scotland weren't all that great a while back, they reverted back to basic plays and tactics and have been improving since.
    England haven't been playing up to scratch since their World Cup win and I can't help thinking it'll turn out like like the 1966 Football World Cup win, constantly hoping to match it, but falling short.
    Ireland seem to be strong, I missed the friendly Scotland played against them the other day, but saw the score, despite that loss, I think they'll do well.
    Wales I haven't seen play since the last 6 nations, but they were playing decently, some really basic screw ups though, fucking up line ups quite often though.

WOO! Speculation and sounding like I know what I'm talking about!

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guys, I don't know why there is any debate on this subject.

It's obvious that New Zealand is going to win. They always do.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Orestes wrote: »

Actually I think they've only won the World Cup once.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

I was actually being sarcastic.

New Zealand is good, but they always fuck up in the Semi's.

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

I was actually being sarcastic.

New Zealand is good, but they always fuck up in the Semi's.

Ah, sorry. Internet, sarcasm, you know how it is.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Winners:
    1987 New Zealand
    1991 Australia
    1995 South Africa
    1999 Australia
    2003 England
    2007 .....

Edit: I hate you and your text based sarcasm.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Winners:
    1987 New Zealand
    1991 Australia
    1995 South Africa
    1999 Australia
    2003 England
    2007 .....

Edit: I hate you and your text based sarcasm.

My bad, I should have added some italics in there somewhere.

Orestes on