As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Atari 500

marcuswrathmarcuswrath Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I'm trying to help settle a bet and I wonder if you guys can help out. A friend of mine is convinced that when she was a kid, she had an Atari 500. Her husband thinks she's confused and has bet her that she never had an Atari 500 because there is no such thing. The stakes? An Xbox 360. More specifically, if he's right, he can buy an Xbox 360. If she's right and there is such a thing as an Atari 500 then he is never permitted to even MENTION an Xbox 360 ever again.

So what say ye, Penny Arcaders? Anyone ever hear of/own/see-on-an-infomercial-one-time-during-college an Atari 500?

marcuswrath on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    She's probably thinking of an Amiga 500. If not then i'd probably say Atari ST.

EDIT: There is a mention of "Atari 500".

EDIT2: It appears Google knows all.

EDIT3: There appears to be a lot of conjecture on the subject, it's possible that it is just people mistaking an Atari 500 for something else.

My personal view is there was no Atari 500 except in the hazy memory of people trying to remember an old computer/console.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There exists an Atari 400 which was produced by Atari to compete against the Commodore 64 back in 79.

All in all, this really seems like a case of the "Nintendo Gameboy DS" syndrome, where someone names a console but really means three others, but they still end up calling the console by the wrong name anyway even after corrected.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've actually e-mailed this guy about the supposed Atari 500 service manual that he mentions, but it's a 2 year old post so who know's how far that'll go.
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    EDIT: There is a mention of "Atari 500".

marcuswrath on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm praying for the 360 to be bought.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I first saw this thread, I thought "There's no Atari 500, what the hell is this all about?"

Fairly sure it doesn't exist.

Khavall on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Theres an atari 520 st, that could be what she means.

I had the 1040 stf and my brother's friend had a 520 st

malerik on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    See, the bet was for an Atari 500.
    Her husband thinks she's confused and has bet her that she never had an Atari 500 because there is no such thing.

If an actual Atari 500 doesn't exist (not an Amiga 500, not an Atari 520), then her husband gets to buy a 360.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There exists an Atari 400 which was produced by Atari to compete against the Commodore 64 back in 79.

All in all, this really seems like a case of the "Nintendo Gameboy DS" syndrome, where someone names a console but really means three others, but they still end up calling the console by the wrong name anyway even after corrected.

All my friends still call the N64 the "Ultra 64" thanks to my hyping it from the time it was still known as "Project Reality" right through the "Nintendo Ultra 64" days. I got off it on the very issue of Nintendo Power that they announced the name change ("Happy NU Year" was somehow still on that very January bonus issue's cover ;))

CZroe on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There was an Atari 5200, not a console that was an Atari 500, pretty sure there was no Atari 500 computer either; probably thinking of the Amiga 500, as mentioned. . .

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    malerik wrote: »
    Theres an atari 520 st, that could be what she means.

This is as close as you are going to get to a 500.

The site where the guy claims to have service manuals for the Atari 500 is a typo. He meant the 800 or the 600 of the XL series.

The problem with this bet is that it is impossible to prove the non-existence of anything. Even vampires.

So if the 500 supporter sticks to her guns, the bet will never be resolved. The best proof would be that, although never formally stated, Atari only used even lead model numbers (4, 6, 8, 26, 52, 78, 104) with a zero or two following. The 500 would be quite remarkable with the odd number, and thus there would almost certainly be an enthusiast site noting this anomaly.

For my part, I sold Atari 400's, 600's and 800's for Lionel Playwold (My first job! Selling computers at a toy store!). I had access to the ordering catalog and there were no Atari 500s available from 1985-1987.

EDIT: because proving a negative is impossible, the best way to resolve this bet is to give the lady one week to prove the existence of a 500.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shouldn't the burden of proof be on the wife? Make her look this shit up.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, more specifically, he doesn't need to prove the non-existence of the Atari 500 in order to win the bet. All he has to do (technically) is to get her to admit that she's wrong. Whether he gets an Atari employee to show up at her office and slap her with a fish or simply show her a photo of an Atari 400 so she realizes that she was just confused....doesn't matter.

The real lesson here is, kids, don't do drugs. Or, stay in school. Or something.

Thanks everyone, I'll check back in when she taps out.

marcuswrath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is a terrible deal.

So basically, if she is really against the idea of her husband getting a 360, she could technically deny every single piece of evidence he presents to her on the grounds that "I know I had an Atari 500 when I was a kid, you and the rest of the world are wrong."

The only thing I could think of that would be irrefutable would be to actually write Atari, asking about their various model numbers and if a model 500 did in fact exist.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All he has to do (technically) is to get her to admit that she's wrong.

Speaking as a married man, all I can say is "good fucking luck with that".

Any conflict where victory relies upon your spouse admitting fault is untenable.

My advice is to negotiate compromise: "Let's just say there may or may not be an Atari 500. How about I mow the lawn then go buy and Xbox360?"

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    She's probably thinking of the 400

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Deefuzz wrote: »

Or the Amiga.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    Deefuzz wrote: »

Or the Amiga.

Or an Atari that everyone had like the 2600, 7800, or ST, and she's just way off base. Maybe she played a game on it called INDY 500. I have learned from the Employee Lounge threads that this kind of mistake is common.

Saddler on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    All he has to do (technically) is to get her to admit that she's wrong.

Speaking as a married man, all I can say is "good fucking luck with that".

Any conflict where victory relies upon your spouse admitting fault is untenable.

My advice is to negotiate compromise: "Let's just say there may or may not be an Atari 500. How about I mow the lawn then go buy and Xbox360?"

Double-limed for truth. It would probably be easier if you just bribed her--like take over her house chores for a couple of months... maybe a year. ;-)

I think if a married woman ever uttered the words, "I was wrong," Earth gets punched by the sun. It's a rule.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, there's no Atari 500. Tell this man to go buy his 360 and game the fuck on.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, the only time I got to win an argument with my ex-wife was when I divorced her.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, there's no Atari 500. Tell this man to go buy his 360 and game the fuck on.

Or don't... and get his f**k on. Decisions decision. That XBOX 360 probably comes with a free stay in the doghouse.

CZroe on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only dude who ever owned a 5200.

It was pretty awesome.

august on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The solution is to buy a 360, but replace all the labels with photoshops that say 'atari 500'.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also: I owned a 7800, which was backwards compatible with the 2600, and it was fuckawesome.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Midnight SynergyMidnight Synergy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Definitely no Atari 500.

Consoles: Atari 2600,5200,7800, Lynx, Jaguar.
    8-Bit: Atari 400, 800, XE, XL.
    16-Bit: Atari 520 ST, 1040 ST, TT, STE, Falcon 030.
    I think that's all of 'em.

Midnight Synergy on
    msbanner468x60.png
    http://www.midnightsynergy.com
    Retro Inspired Puzzle, Arcade and Adventure Games.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also: I owned a 7800, which was backwards compatible with the 2600, and it was fuckawesome.

Same here! While all my friends were rushing out to get "an Intendo", I was playing Ballblazer on my Atari 7800. Good times.

A friend of mine also had an Atari 800, which was pretty damn cool. Never heard of a 500 though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The solution is to buy a 360, but replace all the labels with photoshops that say 'atari 500'.

But then there'd be an Atari 500, and he'd lose the bet he just won... Parataridox!

Firebrand on
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only dude who ever owned a 5200.

It was pretty awesome.

Nope, I owned one too. Hi5!

Got it for Christmas when I was like 5 or 6. I had a ton of games for it too. I played Super Breakout with my Dad for a long time. Eventually got a 2600 converter for it too, since all of my friends were so bummed when I got it, because all the 2600 games they brought over to play on it wouldn't work.

I loved Vanguard and Pitfall II. And Kangaroo. Yeah.

Also, Sortof-Arcade-Perfect Pac-Man for the win.

Valernos on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How long did it take for you 5200 paddles to break? Yeah. Then they stopped making them.

Good times.

august on
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    not allowed to mention Xbox 360 ever again if he's wrong?

man that guy is so whipped

my wife would let me mention it after ten years, 15 mx

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    How long did it take for you 5200 paddles to break? Yeah. Then they stopped making them.

Good times.

Heh, I never had a problem with my 5200 controllers. Don't get me wrong, they were terrible controllers, but I seemed to luck out.

One of my big regrets was that I sold everything at a garage sale in '95. That thing was just too huge to lug around, but I still wish I'd kept it. Of course, if I had kept it, I don't doubt that I'd be having controller problems now.

Valernos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So here's the update and final result. When confronted with a picture of an Atari 400, she admitted that yes, that's the console she had, but refused to admit defeat. She swears that her husband bet her that Atari produced no consoles before the Atari 1200....not that she didn't have an Atari 500 because they don't exist. I'm the only independent witness and I was fucking drunk (can some one please explain why, the next morning, I found the crotch of my shorts was crusted with what seems to be buffalo wing sauce? I mean, I love me some buffalo wings, but I don't remember "loving" my buffalo wings...).

Anyway, they have agreed to a compromise whereby he gets $100 and is allowed to continue his Xbox 360 Campaign of Irritation, ad nauseam.

Thanks for your help, Penny Arcaders. As you were....

-marcus

marcuswrath on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And moral of the story is: Don't try to win an argument where someone else is making the rules. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyway, they have agreed to a compromise whereby he gets $100 and is allowed to continue his Xbox 360 Campaign of Irritation, ad nauseam.

10 to 1 she gets him a 360 for Christmakwanzukah. Wives never admit being wrong, but sometimes they end up feeling guilty or bad and give in. Guilt trips can be good on occasion... although crushing a woman's will and soul with vociferous, incessant whining usually works. They hate that shit. :D

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    MedicjeffMedicjeff Registered User new member
    I had an Atari 500

This discussion has been closed.