As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - now with waggle... I mean scribble controls

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

phantomhourglass.jpg

Platforms: Nintendo DS
Release date: Japan - Released, NA - 10/1, EU - 10/19
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1-2
Rated: E

American box art:

Zelda_ph.jpg

European (text is English) and Japanese box art:

zelda12_boxart.jpg

Infoz

Phantom Hourglass is a 3D Zelda game, with camera similar to that of the 2D Zelda games.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070822023303174.jpg

The game is controlled entirely with the touch screen - poke somewhere on the screen and Link will run there, and you can hold down the stylus anywhere on the screen (not just 4 or 8 cardinal directions) and he'll continue to run there.

(You can also write on the map.)

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070627035153327.jpg

Fighting is also done with the stylus. Poke enemies to jab them, draw arcs to slash your sword, and draw a circle around Link to do a spin move. It may sound cumbersome, but everyone who's played it says it controls wonderfully.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070711112155884.jpg

You also control weapons, like the boomerang and bombchu, with the touch screen.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070427102418703.jpg

You can also take to the open sea, but unlike in Wind Waker, you don't have control over the boat at all times, and it's not a sail boat, it's steam powered.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070822023304315.jpg

You draw a path for the boat to take before pulling up the anchor, then you man the cannon as it chugs around in the water.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20060509012349737.jpg

There's also multiplayer, which I'll let Wikipedia explain because I'm lazy.
A multiplayer battle mode is also included in Phantom Hourglass. This battle mode is a one-on-one multiplayer game officially dubbed "Hide-and-Go-Seek" by Eiji Aonuma. In an arena, one player takes on the role of Link, while the other player, on defense, controls three Phantom Guardians. Players of both sides are aided by power-up items that shortly appear on the playing field, such as the Pegasus Shoes, a Decoy, a Time Increase and a Whirlwind maker.

Link’s goal is to grab a Force Gem from one of the many zones and carry it to his own base at one side of the arena. The other player, controlling the three Phantom Guardians, must try to find and catch Link before he scores any points. When Link is caught, or if the turn-time has passed, players switch sides. A game consists of three rounds, and in each round, each player takes a turn at both sides. The maximum length of one whole multiplayer game is twelve minutes.[8]

The game supports multiplayer both locally and online through the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Local Download Play is also supported.[4] The game is the third multiplayer Zelda game, the first two being Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures respectively.

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070427102419563.jpgthe-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20070307065407162.jpg

Critical reception

PH Gamerankings page - http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/932377.asp

3.5 stars from Action Button - http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=225
Edge gave it a 9
10/10/10/9 from Famitsu
9 from Eurogamer - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81373
10 from CVG - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167207

Links (lol) (sorry)

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_Phantom_Hourglass
IGN, for screen and videos and shit - http://ds.ign.com/objects/694/694756.html
Official site - http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=0nKucR8rpyfV9ktby3s-Kv1_UlMI5P5a
Gametrailers - http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2506.html

bruin on

• Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I need this.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay!
    Could this game have the same impact on portables as OoT had on 3D?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When is this out again?
    Wiki says 19th oct. so I'll trust that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Release date: Japan - Released, NA - 10/1, EU - 10/19

bruin on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh wow. Less than three weeks. There is such an orgy of gaming goodness coming over the next couple of months.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MOAR LIKE CELDA!!! MIRITE????

Seriously though. Woo, three weeks away!!!! New Zelda!!!! Cant wait, despite the fact that the NA box art is much less cool than Europe/Japanland box art.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I haven't really played my DS for, uh, a year or more. I really hope this is as wonderful as it looks.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    MOAR LIKE CELDA!!! MIRITE????

Seriously though. Woo, three weeks away!!!! New Zelda!!!! Cant wait, despite the fact that the NA box art is much less cool than Europe/Japanland box art.

Because your frothing demand should be at all satiated by the fucking box.

Seriously, I like boxart, but that just annoys me.

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man, hatin' on NA boxes seems like a fad now. I really like the background of the NA box.

Septus on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the US box art more than the Euro/Japan art..craziness.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've played about half of the Japanese version. I found it to be good, but not great.

Darlan on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    why is the European art and Japanese art different from the US art?

The EU/JP art conveys the sailing point of the game. I like that it's more whimsical.

I never got why regional box arts were any different at all. Except where there's cultural differences, like some symbol meaning something else in one language. I know they closed Crash Bandicoot's mouth in Japan. And that whole "adding angry eyebrows" in America just shows that we like our characters pissed

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am somewhat displeased with the art style of this game, but I think it looks fun.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am very pleased at the introduction of more steam into Zelda. Very pleased indeed.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    zerg rush wrote: »
    I am very pleased at the introduction of more steam into Zelda. Very pleased indeed.

We're that much closer to my dream of a steampunk Legend of Zelda game.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everything I've heard about this game makes me want it more and more. It'll probably be the first thing to get Pokemon Pearl to leave my DS in a while.

I'm hoping the Nintendo World store starts selling it a day early like they did with MP3...

shyguy on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Man, I haven't really played my DS for, uh, a year or more.

Pfffft

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am a total Zelda whore, so it doesn't matter what any of the reviewers are saying. As soon as Nintendo said, "We've got this new Zelda game for the DS and its-" I was like, "Stop talking, I'll buy 2 copies, thank you, do you need any of my plasma to go with this cash?"

But seriously, why do we bother posting Famitsu scores for Zelda games? When have they ever given a Zelda game less than a combined score of 36/40? Saying that Famitsu liked the new Zelda is like telling me that ice cream is yummy. "Ice cream is yummy? No shit!"

Dirty on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game may cause me to buy a DS.
    We'll see.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    man, i seriously have to get a ds. there are just too many good games out for that thing. looking forward to this game for sure!!

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    WTB secret magic to merge my DS with a video/music player.

I am a teensy bit hesitant about the tap to attack method. People say it works, but just thinking about it, drawing a circle around your avatar for a whirl attack definitely takes longer to do than one button press. Hopefully it will be forgiving enough to allow from some pretty awful circles/slashes so that combat will be fluid.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I am a teensy bit hesitant about the tap to attack method. People say it works, but just thinking about it, drawing a circle around your avatar for a whirl attack definitely takes longer to do than one button press. Hopefully it will be forgiving enough to allow from some pretty awful circles/slashes so that combat will be fluid.

Except the whirl attack never was one button press. It was always a charge-up or a twirl or a shake.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, one point away from a perfect Famitsu score.

That certainly bodes well.

And not that it is important but I actually prefer the US boxart myself.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

Except the whirl attack never was one button press. It was always a charge-up or a twirl or a shake.

Ok, so drawing it delays the completion of the whirl by a half or full second.

It may not be a problem, but it seems there's potential to be. I'll just have to play and see.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It may not be a problem, but it seems there's potential to be. I'll just have to play and see.

Personally, I can scribble a tiny circle faster than I can charge up a spin in Wind Waker.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait, three weeks?

Dammit! I thought I had more time!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Personally, I can scribble a tiny circle faster than I can charge up a spin in Wind Waker.

That's if the whirl happens as soon as you complete the circle, and doesn't require a charge up. I'm talking about any action that is limited only by your input, inputting through drawing a line will take me more time to do than a button press.

I take it the game doesn't have an alternate option to control Link through the buttons and dpad?

Septus on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nope, this is all stylus. It's sort of like the MP3:C of the DS, proving the viability of the interface. Feel free to tear into the analogy if you wish, but I've been playing MP3:C lately.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Nope, this is all stylus. It's sort of like the MP3:C of the DS, proving the viability of the interface. Feel free to tear into the analogy if you wish, but I've been playing MP3:C lately.

Didn't...didn't Canvas Curse already do that? :P

But yeah, I think this looks great. I may have to buy it on the first day if I'm unlucky.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Didn't...didn't Canvas Curse already do that? :P

But yeah, I think this looks great. I may have to buy it on the first day if I'm unlucky.
    Crap, you're right. That was the first game I bought for the DS too, ha. Well, Phantom Hourglass does it for the adventure genre, whereas Canvas Curse did it for platformers? Work with me here.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a very good feeling that this game will control fantastically.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mithrus wrote: »
    I have a very good feeling that this game will control fantastically.
    Oh, it does. Don't worry about that.

Darlan on
  • Options
    VranaVrana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uh... who's that ugly guy on the cover?

Vrana on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

In all of the 3D Zeldas (except the Wii version of TP) you can do a spin attack by quickly spinning the analog stick and then pressing B. I would say this can be done at about the same speed as drawing a circle.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am going to finally upgrade to Lite for this game. Playing it on an old DS just seems like it would be... wrong.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like the US cover art.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    In all of the 3D Zeldas (except the Wii version of TP) you can do a spin attack by quickly spinning the analog stick and then pressing B. I would say this can be done at about the same speed as drawing a circle.

Again, these are trifling concerns, but the argument could be made for slashing too. Slashing several times in a row by mashing the button would be faster than making a centimeter stroke repeatedly.

Septus on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You don't need to make full strokes to slash the sword. You simply tap the stylus on the enemy. Each tap is an attack. Surely you can tap the stylus just as quickly as a button press.

Check out this video.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vrana wrote: »
    Uh... who's that ugly guy on the cover?

The one in green? That's the same damn Zelda guy who's been in every one of these games for the past twenty years.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I am cautiously optimistic about this game. And it's only cautious optimism because I haven't enjoyed the last three handheld Zelda games, but I'm pretty sure that's because they were Capcom developed.

Also, the US box art fucking rocks.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg