As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Next Console Castlevania for the 360

AoiAoi Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Snipped from Joystiq, with a link to the original article down below.

Castlevania guru Koji Igarashi in a Game Informer interview says he's leaning toward Xbox 360 for the next console version of Castlevania. He says that he's focusing on "the best platform for the U.S. market" and that would be in his opinion the Xbox 360. He goes on to the say that the US market is the "biggest market" for the series, so he's giving priority to the Xbox 360. He doesn't rule out dual development but says it "would be very tough" and that if Metal Gear Solid 4 expands the PS3 market they may release the next Castlevania on PS3 as well.

Still in business mode, Igarashi went on to explain Castlevania for the Wii. He says that Nintendo dominates their own console and third party titles are not so great in sales. He says he's researching how to make Castlevania work on the system in the future and it's about getting the whip motion to work properly instead of having players waggle like Zelda. Igarashi finishes by saying that the next DS Castlevania should be announced in the "near future."

And here's the link to the full story.

I'll also dig around for the story, I'm fairly sure that there was another interview within the past couple weeks with Igarashi stating that he was wanting to make the next console Castlevania a completely 2D experience. So here's hoping.

Aoi on

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am satisfied by this news.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    fuck yes

so many castlevanias

dracula x chronicles and this coming out

and i still need to buy portrait of ruin

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Please be 2D, please be 2D, please be 2D crossing my fingers so hard

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A really well-drawn 2d castlevania would be great, but I'm still waiting for a well-done 3d version. Devil May Cry still makes me think it could be done.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think he already said this is going to be 3d,right?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    lament of innocence was pretty good

so i wouldn't mind 3D

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    I think he already said this is going to be 3d,right?

A while back he commented on the idea that console versions would be 3D and the portable versions would be 2D. However, this was mostly Konami board room exec nonsense (they didn't want to justify funding if he wasn't going to be using 3D on the console installments to appeal to wider audiences).

Hopefully his pursuit of 360 development might change this, somehow.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

Castlevania guru Koji Igarashi in a Game Informer interview says he's leaning toward Xbox 360 for the next console version of Castlevania. He says that he's focusing on "the best platform for the U.S. market" and that would be in his opinion the Xbox 360. He goes on to the say that the US market is the "biggest market" for the series, so he's giving priority to the Xbox 360. He doesn't rule out dual development but says it "would be very tough" and that if Metal Gear Solid 4 expands the PS3 market they may release the next Castlevania on PS3 as well.

Still in business mode, Igarashi went on to explain Castlevania for the Wii. He says that Nintendo dominates their own console and third party titles are not so great in sales. He says he's researching how to make Castlevania work on the system in the future and it's about getting the whip motion to work properly instead of having players waggle like Zelda. Igarashi finishes by saying that the next DS Castlevania should be announced in the "near future."

I'll also dig around for the story, I'm fairly sure that there was another interview within the past couple weeks with Igarashi stating that he was wanting to make the next console Castlevania a completely 2D experience. So here's hoping.

Hasn't the Wii passed the 360 in the US yet? And if it hasn't, won't it do so within the next few months?

Should have been "the best console for the US market that still lets me gorge myself on extraneous visual effects."

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Hasn't the Wii passed the 360 in the US yet? And if it hasn't, won't it do so within the next few months?

Should have been "the best console for the US market that still lets me gorge myself on extraneous visual effects."

He didn't say console with the biggest market share, he said best. Is he not allowed to think that the 360 is a better console?

Septus on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aw how cute, the first petulant fanboy!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »

He didn't say console with the biggest market share, he said best. Is he not allowed to think that the 360 is a better console?

His point was third party titles don't typically do as well on nintendo platforms as they do on microsofts. He also said they want to do a Wii Castlevania but want to get the controls perfect so they are still playing with it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Igarashi: I would like to see how the PSP version will be accepted in the market before I make my decision. If this version is popular I would like to use the same technology for a home console game in the future. But, if it’s not received well, I’ll have to think of another approach.

This almost makes me hope it doesn't sell well. I'd much rather see them go in a new direction. His comments on Wiivania make me think he is not really too interested in a new direction for the series, though.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    lament of innocence was fucking awful but Curse of Darkness was super fun.

so i wouldn't mind 3D

Fix'd.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

so i wouldn't mind 3D

Fix'd.

wanna fite

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

so i wouldn't mind 3D

Fix'd.

wanna fite

DOOD I GOTS WHIPZ

Lament was just plain dull. CoD was nothing all great either but I am such a item collecting, monster raising whore-whore that I loved it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wii fans are predictable as the fucking tides.

And Zephyr's av always makes me go awwww.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I actually hope they'll pull of a great 3d Castlevania, it can absolutely be done. A kickass 3rd person action adventure game in a medieval-ish setting? Surely it's happened before. The mistakes made in Lament of Innocence were simply very repetitive environments and no exploration/puzzle solving elements. It was just way too straightforward, plain dumb even.

Besides, we'll always have the DS/PSP games for 2d action.

edit: also, pretty sure he meant if they're going to make a Castlevania for one of the current-gen consoles, it'll be on the 360. It doesn't sound like he's working on it yet. It will probably happen eventually though.

Noray on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    or PSP for 3d action

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think we should all mail our copies of Castlevania 64 back to Igarashi to remind him of what not to do in a 3D Castlevania game. I'll admit the 3D Castlevanias aren't quality but they're getting better with each sequel. So long as the rooms aren't just barren cubes with a few torches and flat textures splotched onto the walls, he might come up with a hit.

Oh, add lots of traps and minibosses, Iga! 8-)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I, for one, welcome our new 2D Castlevannia on the Xbox 360 overlords.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cool, I'm planning on picking up a 360 soon, so that's good news.

I do have to say though, whenever I hear a third-party complain about Nintendo's games selling better than theirs, all I can think is 'well, make better games then'.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I do have to say though, whenever I hear a third-party complain about Nintendo's games selling better than theirs, all I can think is 'well, make better games then'.

There's also the issue of Nintendo not being as friendly to their 3rd party developers as other platforms.

Or at least that used to be the case.

Septus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

There's also the issue of Nintendo not being as friendly to their 3rd party developers as other platforms.

Or at least that used to be the case.

Yeah. With the N64.

Zek on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm more excited about a new 2d DS Castlevania. I'd be ecstatic if they abandoned the Metroidvania gameplay for an installment and decided to take the New Super Mario Bros./Contra 4 approach and crank out a really well done old-school, hard as hell Castlevania.

shyguy on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Did you read the whole thing? He actually addressed that in the text you just quoted.

Bolded for emphasis.

Aoi on
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can imagine so much whipping with the Wii-mote.:winky:

Whatever system castlevania comes out on, I'll buy it, and be happy about it. Although, i can't imagine myself paying 60 dollars for a 2d game. It would have to be one fairly radical, awesome, Super-fabulous 2d game.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Did you read the whole thing? He actually addressed that in the text you just quoted.

Bolded for emphasis.

Which is totally true ... because 3rd party developers keep putting their big projects on other platforms and then relegating back burner experiments to Nintendo platforms. It's circular reasoning. Their games don't do as well as Nintendo's because they put the top-tier stuff on other systems and only put ports or minor projects on Nintendo systems. And since their games don't do as well as Nintendo's, they're inclined to put the top-tier stuff on other systems.

Companies like Ubisoft, who actually put out some games with some effort behind them, are doing quite nicely on the Wii. Capcom also saw a huge chunk of sales come in from RE4 both times. And all of Square-Enix's efforts (even the re-makes of ages old games) on the GBA and DS have been selling like crack.

Meanwhile, the fact that Sony and Microsoft firmly held the top spots for game sales on the PS2 and XBox seems completely lost on these guys. The first party games usually do better than 3rd party games, regardless of the system. But if that first party is Nintendo, then all of a sudden 3rd party developers get in a tizzy. It doesn't make any sense.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really really disliked Curse of Darkness even though I only bought it for like 10 bucks when it was on sale here recently. Bland environments, hated the familiar system, and just didn't really have the "feel" of Castlevania in a lot of ways.

I kinda remember Lament of Innocence being a good game but not fantastic by any means. Its been since 2004 since I last picked it up so its kinda sketchy there.

Castlevania is, in my mind, one of those games that when done in 3D it kinda needs that Ninja Gaiden quality for the graphics. Something about the last two console ones just hasn't really brought the series back to its zenith.

Probably should just go back and remake the first Castlevania....again. This time in "omg t3h graphix!!1" quality. Really no reason why it can't be done :|

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You'd think that with how popular Symphony of the Night is, a new 2d console Castlevania would be a no-brainer. Is it so hard to put two and two together?

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, because 2 and 2 are such small numbers/potatoes.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really loved SOTN, the Sorrow games, and Castlevania 3. I did my best to give the 3D games on PS2/XBox a chance, but they were totally dull, and seemed to lack the visual polish and style I've come to expect from the other games. All the CVs I liked were all really good looking titles for their respective systems.

If they stick with 3D, I'd wanna see some weird hybrid of Devil May Cry and Castlevania 3. Simply changing the setting and replacing Dante's weapons with the Belmonts' arsenal, and throw in a lot of stairs and spikes and bottomless pits and you've got a winner.

If they bring the console games back to 2D, I would prefer a return to the old style (CV1,3,4). The Metroidvania gameplay from SOTN is actually getting a little tired.

If this game actually meets either of those qualifications, I may reconsider not getting a 360. But I have a feeling we're either getting another LOI/COD, or a SOTN re-tread. Either way, count me out.

Dirty on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Companies like Ubisoft, who actually put out some games with some effort behind them

What?

Red Steel? Rayman? These were good games with effort behind them?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    If they stick with 3D, I'd wanna see some weird hybrid of Devil May Cry and Castlevania 3. Simply changing the setting and replacing Dante's weapons with the Belmonts' arsenal, and throw in a lot of stairs and spikes and bottomless pits and you've got a winner.

This, but with an assortment of weapons a la Soma and Alucard. I was never a huge fan of the whip, especially when it was the sole weapon.

Septus on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

so i wouldn't mind 3D

Fix'd.
    Man what

Lament had the lame environments, but was actually fun to play.

Curse of Darkness was just obscenely boring. Whoo! I get to walk down interminable hallways and watch the computer do all the special moves!

Edit: Honest to god, I fell asleep playing it once.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

This, but with an assortment of weapons a la Soma and Alucard. I was never a huge fan of the whip, especially when it was the sole weapon.

I would like to see a return of the whip as the primary weapon. Ignoring all the crap (Lament, the N64 game, and arguably COTM), there hasn't been a good Castlevania game using the whip since Rondo Of Blood on the Turbo Duo. But I would like to see them flesh out the sub-weapons into full-fledged weapons. So the whip would be like Dante's sword, throwing daggers fill in for the guns, the boomerang would be like the Windmill Shuriken from Ninja Gaiden, etc. Plenty of variety and combo options, but all still within the traditional Belmont arsenal.

There are so many games where the protagonist uses a sword (or swords),... the whip is part of what makes Castlevania unique in my eyes.

Dirty on
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I would like to see a return of the whip as the primary weapon. Ignoring all the crap (Lament, the N64 game, and arguably COTM), there hasn't been a good Castlevania game using the whip since Rondo Of Blood on the Turbo Duo. But I would like to see them flesh out the sub-weapons into full-fledged weapons. So the whip would be like Dante's sword, throwing daggers fill in for the guns, the boomerang would be like the Windmill Shuriken from Ninja Gaiden, etc. Plenty of variety and combo options, but all still within the traditional Belmont arsenal.

There are so many games where the protagonist uses a sword (or swords),... the whip is part of what makes Castlevania unique in my eyes.

I see you haven't played portrait of ruin.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Frabba wrote: »

I will admit, I haven't gotten around to it. I hear its good, and I didn't know the whip was back.

Still, more whip is always welcome.

Dirty on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I will admit, I haven't gotten around to it. I hear its good, and I didn't know the whip was back.

Still, more whip is always welcome.
    It has pretty much everything. Axes, claymores, sabers, whips, etc.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man oh man. new Castlevania for the 360, new one for the DS, and the fact that they are working on a Wii one? These are good reports all around.

Dammit i will be the one happy with everything stop bitching up a bitchfest in this thread of good tidings.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Well, but it's not 3d. I'd love that, Dirty, and that would be how I'd accept a whip-base combat system. DMC is definitely focused around the sword, but has fully fleshed out alternatives, and a wonderful combat system, and I can't see why that wouldn't work with a Castlevania setting. I'd love to see Dracula's castle, in all it's glory(I loved the design concepts in SoTN, and never really played a 3D CV game for long), with the ability to free-look.

Septus on