As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roland Cube 30 amplifier?

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
ok, I've been playing guitar a good while and I'm actually getting to be pretty good. Nothing spectacular just yet, but I'm on my way. Now, I really only need a new amp for practice. I have a band comming together really soon and am able to borrow a friends amp for practicing with the band when the time comes. However, my old Peavey amp is flat out shitting the bed. it's crackly, cord input is extremely touchy...etc. so I wanna buy a new amp and I wanna know if anyone thinks the Rolan Cube 30 amp is of good build and qualty? I'm looking to spend around $200. thanks in advance! if anyone has a better suggestion than the cube 30, I'm all ears.

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have played the cube 30 for about a year, as well as the Cube 60 and various Marshall solid-states. It depends on what kind of music you like to play. The Cube thirty is very easy to get a good sound of and in my opinion sounds pretty good. The 60 will probably be a bit overkill at the moment. The 30 has many nice built in effects aswell as being cheap. I'd say go for it.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    we play alot of punk music. our own punk, not this blink 182 horse shit. we do keep it a little simple, but we add in appregios and pentatonic runs often times. I'm always going for an upbeat "happy" tone. so, I think I will get the Roland from the sounds of things. it seems good.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blink 182 isn't punk, it's pop-rock.

But anyway, the cube 30 is good for metal, so you should still be able to get a nice crunchy punk tone out of it too. It's a very versatile amp.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If the only problem with your Peavey is basically that it's old, would you be willing to consider giving it a tuneup ($12 to $25) over buying a new amp ($more)? Input jacks are a super-easy fix even for someone with no soldering experience, and if the crackling is happening when you fiddle with the knobs, that's a piss-easy fix, too.

Then you can go grab a Big Muff or Tubescreamer (or both!) with the money you saved and call it a day.

EDIT: But if you really have your heart set on a new toy, hit your pawn shop and any indie guitar shops near you first, see what they have. I found a H&K Edition Tube for $150, just needed a new set of tubes ($40). If you *really* want a new amp, though, and nothing I say can dissuade you, consider the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT and the Orange Crush 30R. If you're really going for punk, you're going to want a British-inspired cheesy artificial tone, not 80's hi-gain cheesy artificial tone.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If it is a peavey blazer or something, it would be really silly to keep it and play with a full band. Those amps are complete shite for that, and plugging a Big muff or a TUBESCREAMER into a small 15 W solid state will be an absolute waste.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I play a roland cube tube amp and am really happy with it. I would suggest this amp.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know if you just twiddle knobs they tend to clean themselves and stop crackling. Plus inputs are basic enough...

I have a Roland Micro Cube (which is still too loud for my tiny terraced house, yay) and it's lovely.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You'll need at least 50 watts to keep up with a full band and play gigs without a p.a., so I'd go for the Cube 60. They're great amps.

limester816 on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You'll need at least 50 watts to keep up with a full band and play gigs without a p.a., so I'd go for the Cube 60. They're great amps.

He really shouldn't be playing gigs with a practice amp (or, in my opinion, most solid-state amps) at all. But even if he was, 30w should be enough for a small room. It's certainly enough for garage rehearsal, unless he has an exceptionally loud drummer.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I *think* the 30 would do me well for now. Yes I will need a bigger wattage down the road, but my amp is extremely basic and old. it's a Peavey envoy 110. I'd really like an amp with some actual effect options too. It'd be nice is all. Anyways, it seems the cube 30 is good, but I will also check out some Vox amps.

DarkSymphony on