As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space Solar Power coming soon?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a great idea to me. What's life without a few risks?

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    UP TO OUR ASSES IN PLANKTON

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I mean what if it goes wrong

it's not like that'd be easy to clean up

If it goes wrong something terrible will likely happen, but we will get over it quickly and move on with our lives.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It's not the first time it has been done.

MKR on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I have learned anything from my biology classes, it is that the ocean is impervious to harm and is basically nature's dumpster.

I saw flood it with everything we got.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    reminds me a bit of the sky covering thing in animatrix

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That worked out pretty well.

Couldn't dodge bullets without Operation Dark Storm.

No progress without risk.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I have learned anything from my biology classes, it is that the ocean is impervious to harm and is basically nature's dumpster.

Just because something can't be hurt doesn't mean it can't get angry and kill you

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dam every river!

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »

It's not the first time it has been done.
    wait really

http://premium.edition.cnn.com/2001/NATURE/01/23/paradise.dump/index.html

It references an experiment done in the 1990s, but I'm having trouble tracking down the article I read about it a few years ago.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BusterK wrote: »

Just because something can't be hurt doesn't mean it can't get angry and kill you
    I'd like to see it try.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd like to see it try.

I'm imagining you standing in front of the shore with a cigarette in your mouth
    "Fuck off, you stupid ocean gimme your best shot."
    Meanwhile an enormous swell takes form on the horizon

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Excuse me, I have to go flush some semen into the Ocean's heart.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On the one hand, I'm wary of "instant, e-z fix" solutions

But then, if this could work that would be fantastic

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, it is the sort of thing that they can test on varying scales so it's not like they need to commit to dumping iron sulfate across the entire planet's oceans or even most of a single ocean.

They could test it in increasingly larger regions in the middle of the ocean and track as accurately as possible exactly how it affects plankton populations and whether the carbon taken in by them settles to the ocean floor or is re-released into the atmosphere as a net reaction. Also how it affects dissolved O2 levels in the water.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Now, if it worked to perfection, with no problems at all, would it reverse global warming, or just slow it down? Either is fine by me, but fixing it would be ideal.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    we'll if it works they can release it in large quantities pretty much everywhere. i imagine that will have quite an effect

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, here's hoping

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    well I don't see how it could "fix" global warming because there's a huge amount of excess CO2 in the atmosphere and we're continuing to pump out more, but it could theoretically put a significant dent in it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    why can't we just push the earth farther from the sun like they did in a couple of cartoon shows

one of those shows gained a whole extra robot party week from it

Obbi on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd like to see it try.

Well if you live on the Eastern Seaboard of the US there is a good chance that at some point you will get hit by a massive tsunami if that island in the Canarys decides to collapse.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

I'd like to see it try.

Well if you live on the Eastern Seaboard of the US there is a good chance that at some point you will get hit by a massive tsunami if that island in the Canarys decides to collapse.

How would an island "collapse"?

MKR on
  • Options
    RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The land it's made of gets sucked into the giant hole in the sea floor that's been left there by dredging.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The land it's made of gets sucked into the giant hole in the sea floor that's been left there by dredging.

D:

The wiki doesn't cover it, and nothing is turning up on Google. It's news to me that an island can be sunk, and that the Canary Islands are at risk. Got an article on it? I'm curious - this may be useful information if I ever decide to take over the world.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Basically there is a large volcano on one of the Canary Islands. This has caused there to be a large rift caused in the island, if there is an earthquake or a an eruption, half of the island will slide into the sea and cause a massive tidal wave which would be pointed at the US a good chunk of Europe and parts of Brazil.

http://www.benfieldhrc.org/tsunamis/mega_tsunami_more.htm

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't have anything on hand but I read an article a while ago about how deap sea dredging for land reclamation by Singapore was causing erosion on surrounding islands. As far as an island suddenly collapsing I've never really heard anything explicitly to that effect, I was mostly just kinda guessing.

Edit: Right, it's something else entirely then.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Basically there is a large volcano on one of the Canary Islands. This has caused there to be a large rift caused in the island, if there is an earthquake or a an eruption, half of the island will slide into the sea and cause a massive tidal wave which would be pointed at the US a good chunk of Europe and parts of Brazil.

From the papers cited it looks like this is mostly speculation. They're very good about using qualifiers like "based on limited data" and "possible", and (according to the paper) the 1949 and 1971 eruptions didn't cause a tsunami.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but probably not an imminent threat. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Superman's not gonna be happy about this.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »

From the papers cited it looks like this is mostly speculation. They're very good about using qualifiers like "based on limited data" and "possible", and (according to the paper) the 1949 and 1971 eruptions didn't cause a tsunami.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but probably not an imminent threat. :P
    I'm just saying, don't fuck with the ocean. It can be a right cunt.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have heard about this Canary Island situation. It doesn't make me feel very safe, but if God/mother nature/random chance/fate decides that I have to get taken out by a massive tidal wave then I suppose there's not much arguing I can do with it.

I should really look into how far in scientists project the wave will go and buy up property on the edge. "Kantankeris's new beachfront property! Starting at premium prices for the very rich!"

I wonder if upping the plankton population will increase the population of baleen whales. I was on a whale watch yesterday and it'd be pretty cool if we could up the whale population.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm just waiting for the magnitude 9+ earthquake to level Seattle.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When is San Francisco going to get hit by the big one? We've been overdue for quite some time.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I know someone already said this on the first page, but SIM CITY 2000

CAN WE NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM SIM CITY 2000

THE HORROR THAT WILL BE UNLEASHED BY MICROWAVE BEAMS

150cc on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007