As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Priests: Just because we heal you, doesn't mean we like you.

redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfixRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Priests!!!

The obligatory [citation needed]-style intro:
The priest is perhaps the best healing class in the game with a surprisingly strong damage potential as well (should the player choose to enhance this aspect of the class). Their ability to heal, avoid aggro, dispel buffs on enemies, dispel debuffs on their allies, and Resurrect fallen comrades makes them an important member of any group, whether it's PvP or PvE.

A quick summary of the main things a Priest brings to a group:

* Healing: Cast a large and versatile collection of healing spells (heal-over-time, low-threat heals, fast heals, strong heals, preemptive healing, etc.)
* Protecting a target with Power Word: Shield
* Increasing a player's stamina with the Fortitude buff (on individual players and full groups)
* Increasing resistance to shadow damage with a buff (individual and group versions)
* Increasing a player's spirit, increasing health and mana regeneration (talent-based buff)
* Controlling their own threat through talents
* Dispelling both negative spells on allies and positive spells on enemies
* Resurrecting other players (out of combat)

While Holy Priests are not as effective in damage output, they are argued to be one of the best healing classes in the game, however, this is still debated.

Their primary stats are Spirit for mana regeneration, Intellect for a large mana pool and crits, and Stamina for more hitpoints. Stats obtained from gear, such as Mana points/5 seconds and +damage/healing are also important.
[edit] Shadow Priests

Traditionally, the Shadow tree has provided a very good way to level the priest class, especially after level 40. Via talents and a targeted Spirit and Intellect build, Shadow Priests can have high, sustained DPS and incredibly high survivability with little downtime.

With the changes to the Shadow Tree in 2.0 Shadow Priests are now considered a much more viable class for end-game raiding, acting as mana batteries, for example, with Vampiric Touch and using their other spells to better the efficiency of the raid. Although Shadow Priests lack AoE and natural class abilities to retain mana, this can be alleviated with the use of consumables and the active use of Vampiric Touch.

Shadow Priests can:

* Spec for 25% threat reduction of their shadow spells
* Have a highly mana efficient spell in Mind Flay, increase warlock DPS through the use of shadow vulnerability, and provide good raid flexibility as a class capable of healing and DPS as the situation requires.
* Allow for up to a 45% increase in damage output, which is calculated after any and all bonuses from gear like all spell-casting classes. The only exception to this rule is healing spells.

Equipment:
Priests can only wear cloth armor. Priests begin with one-handed maces and wands and can learn daggers and staves from Weapon Masters.
[URL=" http://www.wowwiki.com/Wrath_healing_equipment_(cloth)"]Healing cloth gear[/URL]
[URL=" http://www.wowwiki.com/BC_Priest_DPS_Equipment"]DPS cloth gear[/URL] (outdated)

Talented Building (Updated 11/13/08)
Discipline

58/13/00 Disc raiding
43/28/00 Disc smiter

Holy

20/51/00 Holy high-spirit

Shadow

14/00/57 PvE DPS

redfenix on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was confused for a moment, and then I saw that the other thread was locked.

Nice first post.

Also, I <3 my priest as shadow spec, and take pride when I'm called upon to heal and still manage to do it well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm thrilled that due to rl friends, I got into a Kara/Grull level raiding guild just days after resubbing.

I'm twice as happy that they have plenty of healers, and am perfectly fine with me as a shadowpriest long-term.

It's certainly new to me, and just as soon as I'm not working, doing homework for grad school, or doing family stuff, I'll be rockin' some BC raiding. Woo!

redfenix on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I suggest adding "priests" to the title somewhere, to avoid the inevitable "Hey I saw there was no priest thread so I made one!" posts.

riz on
  • Options
    Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My priest is level 39, I hope shadowform rocks my mind.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes please add Priests to the title.

I stepped into a VR raid last night with the new guild I'm in and pwned the face off their regular shadow priest. Though I did pull aggro at the very end and got crushed for 11k....hehe.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Yes please add Priests to the title.

I stepped into a VR raid last night with the new guild I'm in and pwned the face off their regular shadow priest. Though I did pull aggro at the very end and got crushed for 11k....hehe.

Heh. Get a soulstone. The shadow priest's "feign" death! We soulstone shadow priests and the DPS warrior more often than any other people.

riz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ok here's some good questions I've been pondering. Consider these in a 25 man raid context:

1. Imp VE - yes or no? Constant small heals for the party is good, but is it necessary? Does it overcome the problem of added threat and in general, how much/how should VE be used in boss fights?

2. Shadow Power - I've been thinking of sacrificing some points in disc to max out this crit talent. Is the increase in DPS a good tradeoff for the increased threat from crits?

3. Faire cards - which deck is the best for spriests?

Medopine on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ok here's some good questions I've been pondering. Consider these in a 25 man raid context:

1. Imp VE - yes or no? Constant small heals for the party is good, but is it necessary? Does it overcome the problem of added threat and in general, how much/how should VE be used in boss fights?

2. Shadow Power - I've been thinking of sacrificing some points in disc to max out this crit talent. Is the increase in DPS a good tradeoff for the increased threat from crits?

You know my opinion on #1

#1: no imp ve, your main role in a raid is mana battery, and if the raid NEEDS the extra bit of VE then you should scale back the boss you're working on. The points are better spent in MB cooldown and Crit.

#2: After you're maxed on hit and you can handle your mana, then start uppping your nukes, though I prefer 5/5 Imp MB before Crit. Edit: The only time I've had issues with threat is in 5mans due to the tank just not having enough rage. As long as you don't pull with a MB crit, you should be ok. Edit #2: Cept on VR, which seems to be hit or miss depending on how many times he changes tanks. One time I could only stand a VT/SWP and we killed him during enrage, the other time I went full cycle minus SWD (was in the pit, didn't wanna nuke myself) and was far from the threat ceiling.

#3: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31890 Blessings Deck/Crusade. Happens to be the best trinket in the game next to Gul'dan

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    To shadow priests: does your guild put you in the healing group or the dps group? I have the double edged sword of being the best shadow priest in the guild (srsly, 900 dps vs 550 dps), which means I never get put in the dps group. I'm sure if the other shadow priests picked up the pace I could be put in dps groups on fights like lurker. I wanna break 1000 dps dammit (on a noncheese fight)!

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well on VR I wasn't using SWD at all and finally bumped to the top at about 2%. We still killed him with 1:30 left on the enrage timer, though. Mana doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but I dunno how much dropping mental agility will effect that.

Medopine on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never get put in dps groups either, hell on leo I'm in the tanking lock group with the commanding shout warrior and a concentration aura paladin. Then whatever the fuck else ends up getting thrown in there.

And it sucks because I still beat the people in the elemental shaman/moonkin druid/etc. group.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never get put in dps groups either, hell on leo I'm in the tanking lock group with the commanding shout warrior and a concentration aura paladin. Then whatever the fuck else ends up getting thrown in there.

And it sucks because I still beat the people in the elemental shaman/moonkin druid/etc. group.

do your mages never run out of mana? are they magical mages?

exis on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    #1: no imp ve, your main role in a raid is mana battery, and if the raid NEEDS the extra bit of VE then you should scale back the boss you're working on. The points are better spent in MB cooldown and Crit.

I tend to disagree. Since you're likely to end up in a healer group (and thus a pretty important group), that extra hp being constantly delivered is useful and potentially raid saving if someone takes a hit. It's 2 points that can add up to lots of healing. In addition, if you're group is organized enough, you can point out to the healers in your group that you'll have it up all the time so they don't need to worry about topping people off in that group. Particularly if you stack crit in gear and talents and add SWDeath to your DPS rotation. That way you can take a 2-3k SWDeath crit and be back to full health in a few seconds.

Also, in my experience, you're likely to find yourself in a heroic or arena from time to time to replace those extra pieces that just won't drop in the raid instances. Imp VE can be invaluably important in those situations.

jotate on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    exis wrote: »

do your mages never run out of mana? are they magical mages?

We had 3 shadow priests in the raid. I'm the best geared and therefore will be providing the most healing and mana to the warlock tank to help mitigate the spike damage he receives.

And besides, mana isn't such a giant issue on that fight if you use your mana pots earlier and often. And your shadowfiend/evocate as well.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I recently spec'd back into holy and rediscovered a spell I hadn't used as much before I went shadow for a few months; Prayer of Mending. Playing around with the subtle tricks and strategies to getting it to be at the right place at the right time, I've decided it's a class/talent defining ability for healing priests. I'm curious to see if you all have made similar revelations.

Obviously, if it bounces around all 5 charges, it can pump out twice the healing done of a Greater Heal for half the mana cost. The tricks of getting it to stay on the right people aren't as complicated as I'd previously been discouraged by. The fact that you can toss it 40 yards initially but the subsequent bounces are only 20 yards make this spell stupid powerful.

We did a heroic Shattered Halls with a prot warrior and a feral druid, no CC. It was an absolute breeze. The two of them got the attention of everything around and held the mass of chaos away from the casters (warlock, ele sham, and myself). I could repeatedly toss a PoM at them, it would bounce back and forth doing *far* more healing than either of them were taking damage. A renew/gheal was plenty to top them off while the cooldown finished off. We repeated that on every pull, several times telling the shaman to back up so I didn't have to try as hard, haha. Since the meter qualifies PoM healing as being done by the person who has the PoM on them, they ended up with about the same healing done as I did.

Went into a 3v3 (know that I'm not a big PvPer) and dominated with a fire mage, ele shaman, holy priest combo. Went 9 and 1 in our first week (this was last week, haven't gone again yet). I tossed shields, renews, and lots of PoMs. They ran into the fray and just let the other team beat the PoM back and forth between them. I stood in the back, laughing, and fearing/running from/healing through whatever random melee decided to go after me.

So...am I making revelations everyone else realized in February or is/was it overpowered and under appreciated by more than just me?

jotate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I love POM in Arena, and I also love SWDing to get it off me in groups and on to the next person.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jotate wrote: »

I tend to disagree. Since you're likely to end up in a healer group (and thus a pretty important group), that extra hp being constantly delivered is useful and potentially raid saving if someone takes a hit. It's 2 points that can add up to lots of healing. In addition, if you're group is organized enough, you can point out to the healers in your group that you'll have it up all the time so they don't need to worry about topping people off in that group. Particularly if you stack crit in gear and talents and add SWDeath to your DPS rotation. That way you can take a 2-3k SWDeath crit and be back to full health in a few seconds.

Also, in my experience, you're likely to find yourself in a heroic or arena from time to time to replace those extra pieces that just won't drop in the raid instances. Imp VE can be invaluably important in those situations.

I still don't think it warrants extra talent points. Since the healing directly scales with your dps, I'd rather just do more dps with those two talent points.

Think of it this way, you have 2 talent points to spare, do you spent the two talent points to increase the healing off of your dps, or to increase your dps AND your healing AND your mana return? To me, that's an obvious answer

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So...am I making revelations everyone else realized in February

Pretty much. It's good. It's not amazing in raids, but it's certainly very nice.

exis on
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

1. If you don't raid seriously and like to pvp often as shadow I see no harm in putting two points in. However if you are in situation where you "need" a pure pve spec, then I'd say no imp ve.

2. Yes it is. Typically, shadow priests don't keep ve 100 percent of the time up because of threat problems. I only used ve when healers' mana was low and my group needed healing. Raids also value the mana you give back with vt over the hp from ve.

3. The best deck is the crusade deck(or w/e one gives you +10 dmg per cast for a total of 80 dmg). You don't "have to" get it as getting all the cards is difficult sometimes but it's one of the best trinkets in the game for a shadow priest. Good alternatives are icon of the silver crescent,mark of defience and mag's eye.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So...am I making revelations everyone else realized in February

Pretty much. It's good. It's not amazing in raids, but it's certainly very nice.

I'd like an upgraded version someday that leaps to targets taking damage, and healing them when it lands. Instead of leaping to someone in the periphrial areas of the fight and never using the charge.

Even though it's an instant it can't do anything to save a person who's lost 99% of their health, and this makes me sad. If they aren't going to make PW:S useful they really should give us a new oh shit button.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I still don't think it warrants extra talent points. Since the healing directly scales with your dps, I'd rather just do more dps with those two talent points.

Think of it this way, you have 2 talent points to spare, do you spent the two talent points to increase the healing off of your dps, or to increase your dps AND your healing AND your mana return? To me, that's an obvious answer

I see your point and agree with you to a degree. Once you fill out the majority of the tree, in my experience, you're likely to find that there aren't necessarily a lot more places to put points that will get you anywhere useful. The build I'm thinking of:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxMZZVGgtMtohtEo

At this point, you have pretty much the option to fill Martyrdom or go with Imp VE. For PvP, yah, go for Martyrdom. There's certainly a place for ImpVE over Martyrdom in a strictly PvE playstyle.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yay Orb of the Souleater and 1069 in PVE gear (I think I logged out in PVP gear though).

Also probably going to respec to this build: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxMRzhZZVGgkMpohtEo

Also: can someone remind me of the scale for when you can drop points from shadow focus due to +hit .

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hit cap is 16% iirc.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was thinking of this:

76 hit is the cap with 5/5 Shadow Focus
    101 hit before you can go to 4/5 Shadow Focus
    126 hit before you can go to 3/5 Shadow Focus
    152 hit before you can go to 2/5 Shadow Focus
    177 hit before you can go to 1/5 Shadow Focus
    202 hit before you can go to 0/5 Shadow Focus

Medopine on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sooooooo our Merciless Armor has been restored to it original, QQ-we-have-more-AC-then-leather glory on the PTR... With the ring off lurker I'm back up to the 29% damage reduction I had at level 60. :D
    The 29% I had in my raiding gear. I had 35% in PvP gear. :roll:
    And 11% of that will still be purged/dispelled off in the first half second.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So coming back to WoW I find that the benecast mod seems to be dead. Can anyone recommend me some good priest addons to simplify healing/buffing?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mendwatch. VisualHeal. NeCB.

Oh and macro your spells to be /cast [target=mouseover] Greater Heal. Because it makes *everything* easier and faster.

jotate on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Soooo I'll be rolling a shadow priest.

I have never leveled a priest before.

I am given to understand that once you get Shadowform it's basically easy mode, but do you guys have any general tips prior to that?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SlabcakesSlabcakes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I am given to understand that once you get Shadowform it's basically easy mode, but do you guys have any general tips prior to that?
    It's imperative to get a good wand. When the mob gets low-ish on HP, you'll be relying on remaining SW: P ticks and wand damage to keep out of the five second no-regen zone, in order to maximise Spirit Tap's mana return.

I always go for the Gravestone Sceptre when I'm the right level. Yes, it's in BFD, but it's right near the beginning. Try and rope a higher level into helping you go and kill the turtle boss, get the quest, and leave to collect your sweet, sweet reward. It doesn't take that long.

Slabcakes on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, get Improved Wand in Disc, ASAP. Also, the great thing about leveling before you get Shadowform, is a Shadowpriest that can still decently heal is awesome. I waited until lvl 50 to get shadowform and it was good times.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Yeah, get Improved Wand in Disc, ASAP*. Also, the great thing about leveling before you get Shadowform, is a Shadowpriest that can still decently heal is awesome. I waited until lvl 50 to get shadowform and it was good times.

* after spirit tap

and you can heal any instance before outland easily with a shadow spec.

exis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Get yourself the wands made by enchanters. Those wands do more DPS than you can possibly pump out at low levels. Every fight should be /shield, /wand for the first 10-15 levels.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And don't let yourself think "dude I'm gonna get a wand that does shadow damage and it'll be awesome with all these debuffs I get!"

Because it doesn't work.

xzzy on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadow-damage wands work with Shadow Weaving. They don't proc any talents that rely on spells being cast though.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So I picked up T5 helm tonight, which means I can go back to wearing my Primal Mooncloth shoulders, and have both the 2 piece T5 and the 3 piece PM bonus. Which is awesome.

Except the T5 shoulders look 10x better than the PM shoulders :(

exis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So I picked up T5 helm tonight, which means I can go back to wearing my Primal Mooncloth shoulders, and have both the 2 piece T5 and the 3 piece PM bonus. Which is awesome.

You don't like the slightly less purple Prophecy look? :P

Can't wait to T5 out of my PM so I can stop being so god damn squishy. But nooo, tanks get first dibs. And then druid tanks. *grumble*

jotate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You don't like the slightly less purple Prophecy look? :P

Can't wait to T5 out of my PM so I can stop being so god damn squishy. But nooo, tanks get first dibs. And then druid tanks. *grumble*

Any guild that handed out loot based on class priority, I'd leave with a quickness.

You need that shit to keep them alive just as much as they need it to stay alive, why should they get the first handouts?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I actually agree with them doing that, it's just inconvenient for me. The idea being that the tanks are taking every hit, whereas I won't necessarily be delivering every heal.

jotate on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My old guild had a tank clause that defaulted any upgrades they could use to them, which I, as a priest, encouraged.

We also had a similar 'tauren clause' for any rare mounts that might drop.

Mitten on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    We give the one main tank priority on drops but the off-tanks have to roll just like the healers and DPS. It's a good compromise IMO.

riz on
This discussion has been closed.