As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam/Source: Games should be rated out of Valve, not out of 10

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KingGRaham, go to the groupchat on steam and someone will send you an invite

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm down for fortress Forever.

Wish someone would throw up a torrent, though.

Oops. Found one. Excellent.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I am thoroughly confused. Why do people like Peggle?

Because it's simple fun.

What I meant was, is there something more than aiming at orange pegs and hoping the ball bounces around in the right way?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    superchewiesuperchewie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A couple points:

1) Here are two torrents from the Fortress Forever thread.

2) If an invite could be sent out to http://steamcommunity.com/id/superC I'd be much obliged.

<3

superchewie on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would love an invite if they're still going out:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Absoludacrous

Edit: Awesome, thanks!

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    Johnny SkinsJohnny Skins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    could I be invited to the party as well?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/JohnnySkins

Thanks!

Johnny Skins on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is anybody else experiencing slow transfer speeds on Steam? I'm getting a whopping 5.0 KB/s - 70KB/s.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    obligatory post in steam thread.

Steamspace is awesome

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I too would like an invite.. please? :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/burtalert

nerve on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Because it's simple fun.
    What I meant was, is there something more than aiming at orange pegs and hoping the ball bounces around in the right way?
    Not really. The game is not luck based; if you hit a peg at the same point, at the same speed, from the same angle one thousand times, it will always bounce to the same place. Despite that, though, the game is nothing but guesswork. The sheer amount of calculation involved in aiming for a particular shot, aiming to hit more than one or two pegs, is beyond human capabilities. So we're reduced to firing and hoping for the best.

I would like the game if the "Super Guide" was always on, and extended to show the outcome of every single ricochet. Perhaps then there would be some element of skill involved. As it is now, Peggle is a crapshoot.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    obligatory post in steam thread.

Steamspace is awesome

I see you sigged me. :D

Also, we were discussing SMOD in the group chat earlier and I can't find where to download it at. I found the original webpage, but I can't read Japanese so I dunno where to go to download. Does anyone have a link?

edit: nm, found a link to it and I'm downloading it now.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Because it's simple fun.
    Not really. The game is not luck based; if you hit a peg at the same point, at the same speed, from the same angle one thousand times, it will always bounce to the same place. Despite that, though, the game is nothing but guesswork. The sheer amount of calculation involved in aiming for a particular shot, aiming to hit more than one or two pegs, is beyond human capabilities. So we're reduced to firing and hoping for the best.

I would like the game if the "Super Guide" was always on, and extended to show the outcome of every single ricochet. Perhaps then there would be some element of skill involved. As it is now, Peggle is a crapshoot.

It's not entirely a crapshoot. Sure, you can't really exactly calculate beyond the first bounce or two, but you get a sense for how the ball will behave in certain situations. I can routinely nail Long and Super Long Shots, and am not too shabby at the "Hit One Peg and Drop it in the Pot" move. There are ways to be fairly certain what will happen next.

Houn on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can anyone tell me whether or not the Lost Coast demo level comes with Orange Box? I know it's not listed as being included in the Steam store. I'm sort of hoping that's just a mistake, because it's included with literally every other HL2 package Steam sells.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can anyone tell me whether or not the Lost Coast demo level comes with Orange Box? I know it's not listed as being included in the Steam store. I'm sort of hoping that's just a mistake, because it's included with literally every other HL2 package Steam sells.
    It's free for all HL2 owners.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, Half-Life: Source is now crushed beneath my feet. Man this port bugs me.. Like how they'll start playing a bit of music right before a level transition and in regular half-life that music would keep going during and after the transition but in Half-Life: Source it just cuts off. And how they beefed up the enemy AI but left their abilities and power levels the same, so things that were buffed in power to compensate for AI are now uber deadly. (One part near the end has like 4-5 alien slaves in straight view of you, as well as 3 alien controllers. They can easily kill you before you get to cover. Hard is really damn hard. :D

Steam says it took me 7.9 hours, but I think it took a bit longer and Steam didn't count the first hour or two.

Now, on to Half-Life 2!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sure, why not? Let's try it out. Can I get an invite?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cherrn

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oy, that was fast. You do good work :^:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can I get an invite? I think mine got lost in this thread somewhere, and chat is not really responsive....

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ampix

thanks!

Edit: Holy wow that was fast. Thanks again!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The-PimpThe-Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey how do you surf the web through the community interface in-game? I had it setup so I could access a walkthrough in-game but the new update has messed up my settings. Can anyone help?

The-Pimp on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can make slight adjustments to lining up your peggle shot by rolling the mouse wheel.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone know if you have to have Half-Life 2 installed to play Episode 1 or 2?

Sepah on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to have Half-Life 2 installed to play Episode 1 or 2?

You do not. They're both stand alone games. They just share a lot of game file.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome, thanks

Sepah on
  • Options
    ColdstreamColdstream Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Any chance of an invite?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/coldstream

Hugely excited about TF2. Looks like its sense of humour is right up my alley!

edit: thanks!

Coldstream on
  • Options
    pinesol3pinesol3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hey can someone let me into the group, i just had the most horrific experience trying to play standard deathmatch halflife2... oh jesus that was sad :(

pinesol3 on
    leetradiobanner.gif
    Listen to me on leetradio soon!
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    pinesol3 wrote: »
    hey can someone let me into the group, i just had the most horrific experience trying to play standard deathmatch halflife2... oh jesus that was sad :(
    Were you able to play it or not? Either way, your tone makes sense. I'm not a big fan of it. I played it for a bit when it first came out and the best word I could think of to describe it was "clusterfvck". It's all over the place - there is no game flow at all, it's just running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

On the other hand, I spent some time playing TFC last night... what a fun game. Hard to find a good server though.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In HL2DM I'm guessing everyone uses scripts to throw a grenade at catch it instantly in their gravity gun? If so, it's really annoying.

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    it was a nightmare reminiscent of when quake2 was on its way out and all the servers had no gravity, all weapons, unlimited ammo and the map is just a big box. i haven't played any games online for a few years and when I saw this it made me want to load up action quake or rocket arena or ctf, do you guys have any recommendations as to something that is in the same vein as these games? I'm downloading fortress forever as I type this... just something to tide me over until team fortress 2!

pinesol3 on
    leetradiobanner.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    In HL2DM I'm guessing everyone uses scripts to throw a grenade at catch it instantly in their gravity gun? If so, it's really annoying.

I don't see why anyone would need scripts for that. It's actually rather easy to do.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    also, how do i tell that i recieved an invite to the group? it should show up on the community tab within steam no?

pinesol3 on
    leetradiobanner.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    also, how do i tell that i recieved an invite to the group? it should show up on the community tab within steam no?

I think it should show up in your control panel in community.

Peewi on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it was a nightmare reminiscent of when quake2 was on its way out and all the servers had no gravity, all weapons, unlimited ammo and the map is just a big box. i haven't played any games online for a few years and when I saw this it made me want to load up action quake or rocket arena or ctf, do you guys have any recommendations as to something that is in the same vein as these games? I'm downloading fortress forever as I type this... just something to tide me over until team fortress 2!
    Heh, I went on a rant about crap like this a few pages back.

I've been playing TFC (not FF) to stem the cravings. It's tough to find a decent server but if you're lucky and you get on at prime-time (evenings) you can find something decent. Plus, I'm getting familiar with all the classes again, as it's been a long time since I've played. I've heard mixed reviews on FF and I really don't care enough to download and install the whole client just to play on the Source engine. It's only a couple more days until TF2 anyway.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Peewi wrote: »

I don't see why anyone would need scripts for that. It's actually rather easy to do.

How do you do it? I guess I need to, you know, try. It's just that the split second they go through the throwing motion - bam they have a grenade in their GG.

And the HL2 CTF mod is pretty sweet.

august on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ugh, 56 dollars instead for the orange box because of taxes

god damnit

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Peewi wrote: »

How do you do it? I guess I need to, you know, try. It's just that the split second they go through the throwing motion - bam they have a grenade in their GG.

And the HL2 CTF mod is pretty sweet.

I'm not that fast admittedly, but I like to have GG bound to my middle mouse button (pressing again switches back to your previous weapon, much appreciated Valve). Switch, grab, toss, switch. You can get some decent practice in singleplayer too.

subedii on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    throw a grenade at catch it instantly in their gravity gun
    Man I hate that shit so much. Having a free explosive barrel to launch that doesn't obscure your view and that cannot be shot is really lame. I love the balance and play of HL2DM except for that.

I just finished HL2 for the first time since I beat it on release. Still a very satisfying game. I also tried out Lost Coast. I didn't realize it was so short or I would have played it earlier. Guess it's finally time to play Episode 1 now that I've picked it up in the Orange Box. I knew they would do something like this, which is why I didn't buy it at release. Must finish before Monday..

JAEF on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    throw a grenade at catch it instantly in their gravity gun
    Man I hate that shit so much. Having a free explosive barrel to launch that doesn't obscure your view and that cannot be shot is really lame. I love the balance and play of HL2DM except for that.

I just finished HL2 for the first time since I beat it on release. Still a very satisfying game. I also tried out Lost Coast. I didn't realize it was so short or I would have played it earlier. Guess it's finally time to play Episode 1 now that I've picked it up in the Orange Box. I knew they would do something like this, which is why I didn't buy it at release. Must finish before Monday..

Have fun, it's awesome. It's essentially You and Alyx through the whole game.

subedii on
  • Options
    ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i would love to join the PA community on steam...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/scoota

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Episode 1 was very good and was a lot more challenging than the base game, which I liked. It looks like Ep 2 will live up to that trend, those min-walkers look really tough.

I won't know immediately though because I will be playing Portal.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So is it just me or is adding people to groups online broken?

To do invites I've had to add people to my friends list and then add them to the group through the friends window...

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png