Options

Summer Heights High

ProhassProhass Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Social Entropy++
Any Australians who've been watching this, absolutely brilliant show. Chris Lilley is a fucking master of observation, and SHH is even better than We Can Be Heroes. I think what really gets me with SHH is that the entire school, especially the extras and backup characters are so pitch perfect, having only left school recently, I love this show for the nostalgia alone, god knows how he captured Australian public schools so well.

Out of the 3 characters Lilley plays Jonah is by far my favourite. A lot of people have accused Lilley of being racist with his portrayal of Jonah, but as a recent student myself, I can see its not really a parody of the "Islander Bully" kid, its a goddamn homage, its so perfect, it overlaps with kids I knew in school, he makes them amiable with his brutally honest depiction. His other characters are a bit over the top, but equally as brilliant.

Trailer

Jonah Takalua

Also I don't know whether this should be in D&D as it has caused some controversy which could be argued.

Prohass on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have... not heard of this.

After lunch I will read / watch.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't care for "Australians"

FAQ on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    go back to your continent, prisoner

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Call that a Knife etc

Prohass on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I saw the first ep of this last week and I actually enjoyed it a bit (I got bored of We Can Be Heroes by the end of it). Although I did miss last nights episode.

While not knowing any Islander kids from school, I did think that the whole bully aspect of the Jonah character was spot on (like the scene where he was suposedf to apologize to that little kid.)

Hybrid on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dumb Hero wrote: »

is that what passes as a continent these days

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hybrid wrote: »
    I saw the first ep of this last week and I actually enjoyed it a bit (I got bored of We Can Be Heroes by the end of it). Although I did miss last nights episode.

While not knowing any Islander kids from school, I did think that the whole bully aspect of the Jonah character was spot on (like the scene where he was suposedf to apologize to that little kid.)

Its a pity you missed the second episode last night, its what got me, was absolutely brilliant.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I am going to steal your wallet.

The Jam'ie character shits me to tears and it's the main reason I disliked "We can be Heroes" (Riley's first show that featured her). I really think the stupid selfish girl has been played to death in Kath and Kim and I don't like watching that let alone another copy of it.

Jonah is a far cleverer character and is actually funny.

Mr G is ok, but it's the other actors around him that make him funny.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ill catch it again next week. I taped Chasers last night but forgot the rest of the wednesday line up.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

I am going to steal your wallet.

The Jam'ie character shits me to tears and it's the main reason I disliked "We can be Heroes" (Riley's first show that featured her). I really think the stupid selfish girl has been played to death in Kath and Kim and I don't like watching that let alone another copy of it.

Jonah is a far cleverer character and is actually funny.

Mr G is ok, but it's the other actors around him that make him funny.

I agree pretty much, although Ja'mie doesnt really annoy me that much, but she is a bit overdone, same with Mr.G the drama teacher. But as you said, its the characters around them, who are so real, that makes Lilley's characters work so well and prevent them from becoming too absurd, the whole environment is just creepily real. I really would've prefered a new character with Jamie, but the play off between snobby private school kid and public school is brilliant for me, as someone who's been to both. Still Jonah steals the show.

Prohass on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    dawson's creek down under?

Brolo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

I would pay money to see Jam'ie pash Jonah.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

Huh? Was that the name of the Dawson's creek school or something? Speaking of which the actual storyarchs Lilley does are normally pretty emotional, its more like our version of the Office, im looking forward to the rest of the series.

Prohass on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Chris Lilley is an irritating little bitch and, far from making me laugh, all his shows ever made me want to do punch him in the balls.

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZebesianPirateZebesianPirate Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I've ever seen a genuinely funny Australian comedy.

ZebesianPirate on
    thrownroomsigss2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Castle.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Prohass wrote: »
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Thank God You're Here is pretty damn good

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Castle.
    I've not seen that.
    Hybrid wrote: »

Thank God You're Here is pretty damn good

Nooooooooo.

ZebesianPirate on
    thrownroomsigss2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

I get it.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

I get it.

I... I do not. Is that some form of lame American humour?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

I get it.

its an off colour joke

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Castle.
    I've not seen that.

You live in Australia and you have yet to see the castle?

I can think of either two reasons you haven't seen it.

You are five.

You were only recently released from Woomora.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

I get it.

its an off colour joke

Its like when someone goes "Im going to rape and kill your family" and then proceeds to do so, then after hes scrubbing up says "Told you I would rape and kill your family" then you go "SNAP"

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Castle.
    I've not seen that.

You are five.

I've just never felt the need to see it.

ZebesianPirate on
    thrownroomsigss2.png
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Any Australians

HAHAAHAHAHAHA

I get it.

its an off colour joke

Its like when someone goes "Im going to rape and kill your family" and then proceeds to do so, then after hes scrubbing up says "Told you I would rape and kill your family" then you go "SNAP"

I just wanted to say colour, but very well

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Castle.
    I've not seen that.

You are five.

I've just never felt the need to see it.

well see it dipshit, and then you have seen a good Australian comedy

can't say I am a fan of this one either

couldn't get into We Can Be Heroes either

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I saw this last night and thought it was pretty decent.

The Castle is a classic although it hasn't aged too well; I watched it recently and it didn't really do it for me, save the bit with Eric Bana and "what was it? Twister? Yeah it was Twister" about the film on the plane kills me every time.

There are many good Australian comedies but most wouldn't be percieved as "funny" overseas because they require an Australian perspective. If Australian television was shipped around the globe as much as say, UK or US programmes have then some of the comedy shows might fair better.

Chaser's War on Everything for instance, is pretty clever, but I doubt it would be considered very funny in the States.

Ambassador on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thank God You're Here is only as funny as the comedians they get on there. Ross Noble = hilarious. Fifi Box = i'd rather switch it to McLeods Daughters

the castle is pretty overrated

did anyone see hercules returns? now that's classic australian comedy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    crikey

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bent wrote: »
    crikey

Now why would you say that?

ZebesianPirate on
    thrownroomsigss2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    did anyone see hercules returns? now that's classic australian comedy

YES

#pipe on
  • Options
    ArcadeArcade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't watched it yet but that preview of the islander bully is spot on and has already got me hooked.

Hopefully theres a podcast like chaser so i can watch it when i'm bored

Arcade on
    Brawl Code: 4511-1900-2949
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thank God You're Here is only as funny as the comedians they get on there. Ross Noble = hilarious. Fifi Box = i'd rather switch it to McLeods Daughters

That's somewhat true, but the ensemble cast is really what makes that show good. I watched all the episodes of the US version and it was fucking terrible, mainly because their ensemble cast didn't know how to let the guest stars do their thing, they would seriously cut the guest star off so they could do their scripted lines.

That said, some of the guest stars on the AU version are pretty shit. Most of them are good though so it's usually worth watching, especially if Hamish Blake or Josh Lawson are on.

Ten on
  • Options
    txttxt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thank God You're Here is only as funny as the comedians they get on there.

Hamish Blake

edit: speaking of which, Real Stories.

txt on
    lostsig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ten0101 wrote: »

That's somewhat true, but the ensemble cast is really what makes that show good. I watched all the episodes of the US version and it was fucking terrible, mainly because their ensemble cast didn't know how to let the guest stars do their thing, they would seriously cut the guest star off so they could do their scripted lines.

That said, some of the guest stars on the AU version are pretty shit. Most of them are good though so it's usually worth watching, especially if Hamish Blake or Josh Lawson are on.

yeah, that's true. you kind of forget that they're there because they get no acknowledgment but they consistently perform really well. it must be so hard not to crack up, and though it's pretty tightly scripted they're always good at responding to the guests. especially when they start to get raunchy, heh heh.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ten0101 wrote: »

yeah, that's true. you kind of forget that they're there because they get no acknowledgment but they consistently perform really well. it must be so hard not to crack up, and though it's pretty tightly scripted they're always good at responding to the guests. especially when they start to get raunchy, heh heh.

Haha, it's fucking hilarious when the guest starts making out with the ensemble cast, there are a few who do it every time and it's always great

Ten on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    for a music quiz show, I think I get more laughs out of Spicks and Specks than Thank God You're Here

Glorfindel on