As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Japanese PS3 PSU a 120v<->240v Converter?

MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman,so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Background: I imported a Japanese ps3. $570 Au.

That's not important, what's important is that I have been hearing that the ps3's power brick can handle both 120 and 240v. As well as looking up numerous bits of info on google and seeing "Japanese" ps3's plugged into Australian power sockets etc etc without a transformer.

Who here has a 120v ps3 hooked into an australian power socket.

Also can I use the ps2's power cable as the one I got was Japanese. Duh at me.

P.S. Not trying to be rude, but nobody really needs to tell me its probably not a good idea. This is why I'm asking for someone who has actually done it. I know it's not a good idea without asking people I at least trust first. <3

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
Morninglord on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait, the Ps3 has a power brick? I thought it had an internal supply?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Wait, the Ps3 has a power brick? I thought it had an internal supply?

When I say PSU I mean Power Supply Unit, as you find in a PC. So yes, the internal Power Supply Unit is what I am referring to.

In a few days of searching I have not heard of a single person say they blew up their machine plugging it into a 240v socket. Also seen pictures of the internal psu. which is rated 120v<->240v on it even though the sticker on the machine itself said 120v. Still nervous.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've heard (third-hand) that some unit revisions got a switching power supply and some didn't.

A step-down transformer is probably the best way to be better safe than sorry

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I've heard (third-hand) that some unit revisions got a switching power supply and some didn't.

A step-down transformer is probably the best way to be better safe than sorry

It's a preowned. Because of that, I'm tempted to just open the damn thing up and check its psu.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not a half bad idea, really

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I threw caution to the wind and plugged the damn thing in when I learnt a step down would cost me 178 bucks. Nearly half the price of the fucking machine. Luck is with me, for black smoke does not curl from the plastic casing as I throw myself screaming from the window.
    Instead its downloading update. This thread can be closed now.

Morninglord on