As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... I want to make songs on my computer.

LifeVirusZEROLifeVirusZERO Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a big pianist/keyboardist but recently I've had the desire to make my own songs on my comp. What I need to know is:
-What kind of software I need.
-What kind of keyboard I should buy and what inputs/outputs I should be looking for. I'm guessing people don't still use MIDI keyboards anymore. (That was a joke... get it? Ok it was pretty bad)
-And anything else I should know about this process.

I want something easier than opening up fruity loops and making songs completely using the piano roll, if you know what i mean. I hate doing that.

6ltl5i0ap7.png
LifeVirusZERO on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Depending upon how amazing you want the quality to be, you could just plug straight from your lineout/headphones jack into your soundcard with a $5 jack-minijack converter.

This will work with simple lines, but sequences with muddier chords might come out too crappy for you. You could give it a try, though. It's cheap. Again, though, a generic soundcard won't satisfy you if you're an audiophile.

Organichu on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The basic steps are to buy a midi keyboard (they almost all have USB ports on them now, so no need for weird adapters or extra hardware), buy some sequencing/recording software, and pipe the midi you record to a virtual instrument that either is creating synth sounds or sampled sounds.

I can't blame you w/ the piano roll shit. Clicking in notes is probably the most tedious way to make music. And since you have some chops, you're lucky that you can quickly create something once you get a working setup.

I'm on a mac, though, so I can't recommend software for you.

If you've already got a piano or something, you could also just record the audio from that. A decent mic and a decent audio interface is all you need, then.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To make music with your computer I recommend the two following things:
    a midi-controller keyboard with with keys that feel right to you and usb->midi out (it has a usb plug that transfers midi signal across this plug)... M-Audio makes popular ones for around $140usd but you might not like the key feel if you are used to weighted real keys.

Reason 3.0 or 4.0 (4 isn't out yet buy 3 now get 4 free) which will allow you to record the music and have a variety of instruments etc. It's a "virtual rack" idea that is slightly different then Fruity Loops.

useless4 on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    keep your eyes out for a midi/usb keyboard. I have an m-audio axium that I love. i'd say find a keyboard with both usb and midi, as you can use it with a computer, or if you find a trashed out analog synth module up on ebay or something you can still use it as a controller.

a good host program such as reason or fruityloops/FLStudio makes the sounds. a recording program, such as audacity/protools/soundforge records it. one big advantage to using reason is that it comes with reWire, which is a virtual rewiring system that will route audio paths thruout your system.

i'd also recommend a small mixer, such as the alesis multimix 8. that will take care of any additional audio inputs/mics, pipe it 2channel into the left and right via usb (8-12 channels firewire). so you can pipe your moog little fatty into your recorder.

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    LifeVirusZEROLifeVirusZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess I was wrong about the whole MIDI keyboard thing then. I'll look around and see what I can find.

EDIT: What do you guys think about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823143021

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    exact one I have. keyboard feels like a sub-300 Casio keyboard, so don't expect anything brilliant in playability but it works really well for what it is.

useless4 on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    its not bad for a beginners keyboard (not that i'm any sort of pro!), but kind of bare bones. but then, for >100 new, you're probably not going to find anything better. just remember to trawl ebay and craigslist for used stuff.

flatlinegraphics on