As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

on "handles"

shimonshimon Registered User new member
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I didn't know that handles existed until I read the comic of 2005/01/31 "The Next Generation":

20050131h.jpg

So, I have no idea how handle works. How/where do I get one? I understand that handles are unique, but to be so there must be a way of "registering" handles as not to have duplicates with other gamers, right?

Thanks for your help!... and if it's a stupid question forgive this newbie...

shimon on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looks like your handle is Shimon.

Mine's Alpine, and on Xbox Live where Alpine was taken, I'm Alpine Twilight.

It's just a name you use, cause it's not cool to be playing World of Warcraft as John Brown, the Elf Mage.

Alpine on
  • Options
    Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    handles are not necessarily unique, they're just names people make up for themselves when playing games. there's not an official registry or anything

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You make them up yourself, either as a terrible pun on your name, or you steal something from heavy metal lyrics. Then you add shitty capitalisation and random punctuation. Behold:

..xX_InSaNeOpTiCiAn_Xx..

They're not unique at all, in games where names must be unique then whoever registers it first gets it, and everyone else has to use all the retarded spellings - just look at how many stupid variations of Morpheus or Neo there are in pretty much any game ever.

TheFish on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Handle is just another word for nickname, or alias. See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/handle, definition 3.

whuppins on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TheFish wrote: »
    You make them up yourself, either as a terrible pun on your name, or you steal something from heavy metal lyrics. Then you add shitty capitalisation and random punctuation. Behold:

..xX_InSaNeOpTiCiAn_Xx..

They're not unique at all, in games where names must be unique then whoever registers it first gets it, and everyone else has to use all the retarded spellings - just look at how many stupid variations of Morpheus or Neo there are in pretty much any game ever.

I'll see you stupid Matrix variations and raise you a fuckton of asinine and unoriginal FF7/Naruto/Dragonball names.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    The term handle originated from CB radio slang, who's users would use a pseudonym, called a handle, in place of their given name. Early versions of Compuserve's web access portal included a 'CB Simulator' which was an early version of applications like MSN Messenger. As it was a CB simulator, usernames were referred to as handles. I suspect that this is where the term originally crossed the species gap into computer terminology. TBH, usernames are rarely refered to as handles in forums or computer games these days, but this is the general concept that Tycho is alluding too and it may be a sign of his age that he still refers to a chosen pseudonym as a handle.

They are by no means unique, despite some games and forums allowing you to permanently register a username, although it's rather bad manners to choose a handle or username that someone else uses, especially if they are well known by that handle and even if you want to use it in a game they don't play. If you really want to get yourself a permanent handle, start using a consistent in-game name and get well known for being very good (or at least infamous) in that game, then most people are unlikely to use the same handle.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been Pojaco since the 56k days

Pojaco on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pojaco wrote: »
    I've been Pojaco since the 56k days

I've been MichaelLC since I was born.

Yeah, it's just your username or alias. Add a picture (like the ones here) and/or a 3d image, and you have yourself an avatar as well.

See Playstation's "Home" for more.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been "Saint" or some variation of it since the BBS days.

2400 baud 4 lyfe, ya'll.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had this name since I cobbled it together in the 9th grade. No one else on the internet seems to want it for some reason....

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had to fight to the death for Scooter on many an occasion. I was in one gaming group with at least 2 others, who had to settle for scraps of leftover letters.

In fact, just a few minutes ago I spied a "Scoota" in G&T. Time to sharpen the ole dagger.

Scooter on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quid is off of an old pseudonym that I used when I was more interested in writing. I like how it sounds and it's short, but if I don't get into a service early I'm usually SOL. If that's the case then I'll use Cambiel.

Quid on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My handle is just a statement of fact that I like everyone around me to know before any serious communication occurs.

"Hey, guys. I need no salt. Sup."

There should be a registry.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Maverick, Goose, Iceman.
    *snrk*

Although that's actually pretty much the same deal as gamer-handles. Except instead of talking to your guild on Teamspeak they talk to eachother on the radio while flying supersonic weapons of killing and out-flanking shit.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I've had Irond Will since the late nineties. It surprisingly is rarely taken, though it turns out that there's some sort of Russian Death-Metal label called "Irond". Go figure.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There's a band named Scooter.

I hate them.

I also hate political types who get into scandals and ruin my good name.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Luckly, my handle is rarely ever taken also... :roll:

I just hope some giant comic book company doesn't make some despised, poorly concieved super-hero out of it....

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Woo, another "explain your alias thread" evolves from out of nowhere...
    There should be a registry.

Pfft, that seems like too much effort for something that'd make no difference to online happenings.

Heh, who am I kidding, I'd sign up to that in five seconds flat :lol:

...only to find that there's already about forty Edcrabs or something...

Anyway. So you have a handle- love, honour and obey it. Or get a new one, whatever floats your boat!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just don't stick any numbers at the end of it.

No one likes a numbername.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Was it here that there was a guy named O*&ONFI@&H@#* or something and everyone just called him "keyboard-smash"?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes. He was banned.

Quid on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hah, really? Elsewhere we called a Vegeta34234235-type "Vegetable Numbers". We were very bad people.

...so yeah. Choose wisely!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    There's an MC named Scooter.

He is super duper.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I used to use Green Jello back in the BBS days... now I use this one.

I try to avoid numbers as much as I can.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I've had to fight to the death for Scooter on many an occasion.

When are you scheduled to go against Mr. Libby?

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been Nerissa since the old VAX at my college. At the time, it was pretty uncommon, if not unique. Of course, it's pretty obviously a girl's name, and at the time there weren't nearly as many of those on the internets.

Now, I have to get in early to get it. I can't remember if it was DAoC or Horizons where I sat for over two hours trying to get my damned name.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VAX I remember using those. I've been Malkor since I played my first MUD. Sometimes I'm Roklam. I think I still remember the number I used to have to dial to telnet to the internet.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my handle is being passed from generation to generation.

I will be the last one to inherit this handle, for there will be no children of mine to carry on the legacy.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    I've been "Saint" or some variation of it since the BBS days.

2400 baud 4 lyfe, ya'll.

2400 baud?!? Luxury! Try 300 baud acoustic-coupled! I mean, who needs to transfer data faster than you can read, anyway?

modem_pic.jpg

Still have mine, in fact...

Goddamn kids, get off my lawn!

As previously mentioned, in computing, calling usernames "handles" predates even Al Gore's Internetwebchupamathingy. Calling nicknames "handles" really seems to be rooted in CB radio.

Other than picking something that you know to be unique, and being more famous than the next guy, there's really not much one can do to claim a name, or defend such a claim. Using a handle clearly based (or ripped straight from) popular culture would be a sure-fire example of how not to ensure your pseudonym is unique.

I'm not the only darkgrue on the internet, although I have most of the page-share on Google. I'm "more famous", so in some sense, I win. On the other hand, not all the returns on the first page are me, and aren't easily distinguishable from me, so I also lose... :|

There's nothing you can do in the real world to keep other people from being called by the same name (for example, there are like three other people in the US with the same first and last name as I do), why would it be any different online? Adn what would you do when all the good names are already taken? When all the names that are words are taken?

darkgrue on
  • Options
    TresstheFoolTresstheFool Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A handle is also nice to use over and over so that people recognize you. Of course, with that in mind, I should probably change mine. Still, I like it because it says right in the name not to expect intellectual wonders.

TresstheFool on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Player 1" w/out quotes was an excellent handle that had a number.

Djeet on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, this baby is getting moved to D&D.

And "handle" is not an archaic term, dammit. :x

I've been using Thanatos since the 1200-baud days. All those other dudes just stole it from me. Including the lazy videogame designers who use it for the name of a boss. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »

I've been using Thanatos since the 1200-baud days. All those other dudes just stole it from me. Including the lazy videogame designers who use it for the name of a boss. :P

Squeanix?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »

Squeanix?
    Among many others, yes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My first ever handle was for Quake, where I was "Zealot".

Then Starcraft came out and ruined it forever.

I don't remember how I came up with my current one. It's reasonably unused in most places, which is nice.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Its always wierd when you have a slightly odd one and come across someone else with the same one, only come across one other Tastyfish so far who was a member of an Australian lock-picking forum.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Your name isn't Thanatos. Look.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kind of like the self reflective nature of my handle and find it funny in the 'he's breaking the 4th wall' sort of way. Only now it's the 5th wall since we're on the intertrons. It's rather common though, so I either have to be early to get it or tack crap on like 'clever' or 'a' or whatnot. Alternatively I use architectonic. It's both architectural (in a style that I really like) and hording wealth of knowledge related, so I like the term.

moniker on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've used Durandal with or without numbers since the first time I could, though I did make a few people on WoW with other ones. Leonidas, which 300 has rendered impossible to use again, and HiroProtagonist, which I noticed is the default name in the example gamertag in the 360 manual.

I also had a different name for Starcraft, my friend was Romulus, I was Remus, and we played nothing but 2v2.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i'm terrible at coming pu with names so I reuse this one all the time

I used to have another during the golden age of IRC that's about it.

nexuscrawler on