As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Random Junk

ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
It's been a while since I last posted here, back when I still had my comic (The Slackers, go thread search of you don't remember or are curious, don't if you don't care haha). I'm in college now, taking beginning art classes even though I've taken art classes for the last 6 years. Yay for drawing ovals. Oh well, back to basics, eh?

Anyways, I am the newly hired cartoonist for the college paper. Here's the character concept for the main character. They hired me based on this character sketch and the sample comic I made that I know sucks (and refuse to post here) but they loved. (keep in mind the lines look bad because imageshack made the image a tab bit smaller. Click it once after you get to the page to get the actual picture size)
patrickcopyfu9.th.jpg

Here is something I whipped up in 3 hours yesterday, reference is a google image search of Christian Bale.
christianbaleyc7.th.jpg
Just some crits on the concept and Bale portrait would be nice. Keep in mind the portrait was not meant as a whole composition, hence the black space. Just a very detailed drawing. Was also my first real time painting in Photoshop.

Also, has anyone had a conflict with Intuous3 drivers and Vista? It keeps removing them, hence the BAD lines in the concept drawing.

(posted thumbnails due to image size)

Arfenhouse on

• Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arfenhouse? That sounds familiar. Like some random thing I watched awile back.

Christian bale portrait is good. The eyes really dont stand out much, but I've never really seen the guy.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, the Christian Bale is pretty good. Something about the likeness seems a little off, but overall I'd say it looks pretty good. Well done.

I'm sorry, that shirt is just weird. I don't get it at all.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    haha christian bale, F*** Yes! it's awsome. I'm doing a painting myself of a character based exactly off his likeness. God I love him.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah the likeness is off....maybe Christian Bale's brother or something. Like I said, it's my first photoshop painting, so the colors might be off as well. Nose is crooked.

And the shirt is a less-than-obvious-on-purpose yingyang. Or yin-yang. Ying-yang?

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just wanted to pop in that the colours on both the Bale pic and Destiny Dreamers are yummy.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Mayday...but I think you may be mistaken on the DD thing. I am in no way affiliated with either Destiny Dreamers or slackerscomic.com. My old website was the-slackers.com. No longer up. So yeah, please don't throw me in with the manga people, me no likey manga.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Your character concept looks good overall, but there's a couple of extraneous lines on the shirt at his right armpit. His left sleeve looks a bit shorter than his right sleeve, his eyes aren't quite pointing in the same direction, and his neck's a little wonky. (Specifically, the line at the back of his neck is curving in the wrong direction.) Have fun with your comic ^_^

NakedElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks guys :). One last thing, or two actually: Can you give me a crit on the t-shirt the guy is wearing, as an actual t-shirt. The whole yin-yang covering the entire shirt instead of just in the middle. And also does anyone have an answer for my Vista-Intuous3 issue? It also uninstalls my Nvidia drivers alot too.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In regards to the t-shirt, I'm not digging it. I thought the black circle was an out of place nipple. Sorry.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Haha, was wondering what's with the style change.
    I just remembered when the guy who did slackerscomic used to frequent here, so I thought it was you.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alright...anyone for the technical issue?

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    f*** the t-shirt guy! Christian Bale!! ;)

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Haha it's not THAT good of a portrait. Although Christian Bale is a hunk of man. Is it okay to say that as a 100% straight man? I'm not sure.

Arfenhouse on