As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More computer problems, woo

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hooray, more computer problems from me. Today I was doing nothing taxing at all, I was just reading digg, when out of the blue, my computer completely shuts off. Upon trying to turn it back on, it would spin up the fans and lights for about half a second and then power down completely again. My first instinct is "oh shit, is my computer overheating somehow?" so I immediately blow out the dust from my case and try to restart it. This time, I get the computer to stay "on" but it does not POST. All the fans are spinning, but with just one monitor and nothing else hooked up to it nothing appears on the screen.

My thoughts now are that my power supply has gone to the shitter on me. Is this assumption correct?

Edit - It is worth mentioning that I have done the common sense things like reseat the ram and make sure all cables are in order.

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jpeg wrote: »
    This time, I get the computer to stay "on" but it does not POST. All the fans are spinning, but with just one monitor and nothing else hooked up to it nothing appears on the screen.
    This is exactly what's happening to my old computer. Power supply or video card is what I'm leaning towards.

JAEF on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am now thinking the motherboard died for no goddamn reason. I switched out the psu with an old one from a friend and it still does not post even with a psu that I know works.

Shit.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    jpeg wrote: »
    This time, I get the computer to stay "on" but it does not POST. All the fans are spinning, but with just one monitor and nothing else hooked up to it nothing appears on the screen.
    This is exactly what's happening to my old computer. Power supply or video card is what I'm leaning towards.
    This is what happened to my computer and it turned out to be the motherboard

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Interesting. I could replace my mobo on that computer for $65. Might be worth it. I wonder if I could get the heatsink and processor out of the current one without incident.

Edit: Hell Fry's has some comparable prices and I wouldn't have to wait. I'll probably run down there tomorrow and pick one up so I can at least game through the weekend..

JAEF on