As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whats EBGames policy on returns?

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So i bought a PS3 game (Heavenly Sword), and i beat it in like 6 hours. I dont really want to play it anymore, so i thought i would exchange it. Ive never had a problem doing this at EBGames within the 14 days as long as it was for store credit or a straight exchange. Even the receipt states you can return it for up to 14 days. When i tried the guy said they dont do that, and they never did?

Anyone know what the deal is? Did policy change? Granted i havent tried to return games in a while but maybe 1 or 2 years ago i never had a problem doing this.

Maybe i should try going to another store.

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Say they sold it to you open, since they do that a lot.

I'm not sure if they do it for new releases(probably don't)...but give it a shot anyway.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Most likely scenario? They'll offer you credit as if you were trading it in. The bad news? No one wants that game. You'll be lucky to get 35-40 for it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zeon wrote: »
    So i bought a PS3 game (Heavenly Sword), and i beat it in like 6 hours. I dont really want to play it anymore, so i thought i would exchange it. Ive never had a problem doing this at EBGames within the 14 days as long as it was for store credit or a straight exchange. Even the receipt states you can return it for up to 14 days. When i tried the guy said they dont do that, and they never did?

Anyone know what the deal is? Did policy change? Granted i havent tried to return games in a while but maybe 1 or 2 years ago i never had a problem doing this.

Maybe i should try going to another store.

If I am not mistaken, it is 7-14 days for un-opened merchandise or defective merchandise. So, unless you catch a stupid person, you are SOL.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Policy on NEW, UNOPENED returns (meaning you bought the game "new" and but never opened it):

14 day full return with receipt. Trade-in credit after the 14 day period or without receipt.

Policy on NEW, OPENED returns (meaning you bought the game "new" and then played it):

They basically don't exist. New games can only be returned WITH receipt within 7days (maybe 14 days?) ONLY if defective and ONLY for the exact same title (platform included). Otherwise you're looking at a trade-in credit, which is notoriously bad and I can't personally recommend it.

Policy on USED returns (meaning you bought the game "used" or "pre-owned"):

7 day full return with receipt. Trade-in credit after the 7 day period or without receipt.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Policy on NEW, UNOPENED returns (meaning you bought the game "new" and but never opened it):

14 day full return with receipt. Trade-in credit after the 14 day period or without receipt.

Policy on NEW, OPENED returns (meaning you bought the game "new" and then played it):

They basically don't exist. New games can only be returned WITH receipt within 14 days ONLY if defective and ONLY for the exact same title (platform included). Otherwise you're looking at a trade-in credit, which is notoriously bad and I can't personally recommend it.

Policy on USED returns (meaning you bought the game "used" or "pre-owned"):

7 day full return with receipt. Trade-in credit after the 7 day period or without receipt.

Yes, this means you can basically rent used titles as much as you want. No, most managers I've talked to about this don't really care.

EB used to have 14 days on any game, new or used. That was abused the shit out of, leading to this rule.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a receipt sitting right here.
    Receipt required for returns/exchanges. Unopened new items can be returned/exchanged w/in 30 days. Opened new video games, new PC games & new systems can be exchanged for the identical item w/in 7 days. Opened accessories & all used items can be returned/exchanged w/in 7 days.

As to why you can't return your game anymore, it's probably for the same reasons other stores in our districts had to change their policies: District Managers will flip a shit if they catch us doing lots of returns of opened new games, since it cuts deep into our bottom line.
    Yes, this means you can basically rent used titles as much as you want. No, most managers I've talked to about this don't really care.

For the record, we are starting to catch shit on excessive amounts of this, too. My manager has already started denying returns for people who do this excessively.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, maybe its different in canada but when you return a used game, you get a used game reciept, it looks different, and they wont let you take it back again after that. I tried doing that back in the N64 days.

Anyway, looking at my receipt now, it says:
    Returns & exchanges of new & pre-owned merchandise will be accepted within 14 days of purchase. Some exceptions apply. See complete details posted in store.

Which is why im confused about policy changing...

And yeah i tried to do trade in, figuring id be able to put 15 bucks ontop or whatever and get a new game, considering i bought this game like 5 days ago and it just released like 2 weeks ago... But they offered me 21 dollars on a game that retails for 69.99 CND.. its even sitting on their used shelf for 64.99... I told him fuck no.

Sounds like i need to drive around tomorrow and find somewhere that will do an exchange for something else.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

EB used to have 14 days on any game, new or used. That was abused the shit out of, leading to this rule.

Didn't used to be a problem at the store I worked at, but I should have clarified: many stores in my area (SoCal) have adopted a DM, AM, or RM supported store policy in which you can only perform this sort of a return once.

The store I used to work at started marking receipts to avoid abuse of the policy. This change was made after GameStops acquisition of EB and mostly because our DM was a colossal douchebag. Oh, and this change was also after I left because our DM moved our excellent SM to a low traffic store and brought in a former EB SM to muck everything up at ours. This DM was later fired and my former SM is now an AM.

I'm realizing I need a key here because I'm overly fond explaining things beyond where I need to, lol:
    ASM = Assistant Store Manager
    SM = Store Manager
    DM = District Manager
    AM = Area Manager
    RM = Regional Manager

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »

For the record, we are starting to catch shit on excessive amounts of this, too. My manager has already started denying returns for people who do this excessively.

Yeah, we cut people off after like 3 returns at my store.

Especially the people who act like they're not abusing it.

Garlic Bread on