Options

Art Imitating Life: MIT Student Arrested at Logan Intl. Airport with Fake Bomb...

• Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GUYS GUYS THE BOMB THE BOMB

lg

it bears an eerie similarity to this previous bomb:

358766067_da00b3656e.jpg

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    shadowane wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    But... she didn't have a fake banana. She had what looked like a fake bomb.

edit: Equate it with painting that banana black and holding it like a gun. Or using a toy gun.

Really? You don't think it actually looked like a REAL circuit board rather then a fake bomb?

According to the article she also had play-doh which would be what they actually thought the bomb was. It's just stupid to excuse someone that quickly when it isn't anywhere near as clear as you are making it out to be. This is also very different from the Boston thing considering those were clearly not bombs.

Ah, so, the LiteBrights were clearly not bombs, but the thing that was clearly a circut board and a hand full of play-doh not connected to any wires or anything was certainly ambiguious enough to warrent the full SWAT treatment, huh?

I'll make sure to remind my neice of that the next time she comes to visit... wouldn't want her to wear flashing lights and have any modeling clay.

Like I said, I'm not upset at the airport response, although it has been pointed out very clearly that if it was a bomb, chances are a lot of people would have died as a result of that response, but rather at how dense our society is becoming with regards to real vs. fake threats.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd say we should discourage people from creating this kind of panic.

Shinto on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

edit: Equate it with painting that banana black and holding it like a gun. Or using a toy gun.

Oh good fucking lord.

She had what looked like the stereotypical perception of what a fake bomb might look like, based on popular ignorance. As we've shown here, a can of Folger's looks equally like a fake bomb. Nothing, save some fake dynamite sticks and a fake counter, perhaps, "looks like a fake bomb." Because everything looks like a fake bomb.

Just because you've never taken a circuits course doesn't suddenly make a breadboard a fake bomb.

Besides, I'd bet money that most bombs use PCB instead. It would sure suck if one of your jumpers popped out of your breadboard right as you were going to blow up the infidels.

EDIT: And yeah, Xaquin, it's the charges that really piss me off. Yeah, charge me with a crime because I didn't realize people were stupid. Sure.

If the can of folgers were strapped to her chest I bet she'd have gotten the same treatment hehe

I'm sure it was the fact that something was strapped to her chest that caught the first bout of attention. The object being a lit circuit board certainly didn't help her. If ANYONE has ANYTHING out of the ordinary strapped to their chest in an airport (of all places) they are going to garner attention.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What if I have a sticker strapped to my chest?

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

Oh good fucking lord.

She had what looked like the stereotypical perception of what a fake bomb might look like, based on popular ignorance. As we've shown here, a can of Folger's looks equally like a fake bomb. Nothing, save some fake dynamite sticks and a fake counter, perhaps, "looks like a fake bomb." Because everything looks like a fake bomb.

Just because you've never taken a circuits course doesn't suddenly make a breadboard a fake bomb.

Besides, I'd bet money that most bombs use PCB instead. It would sure suck if one of your jumpers popped out of your breadboard right as you were going to blow up the infidels.

EDIT: And yeah, Xaquin, it's the charges that really piss me off. Yeah, charge me with a crime because I didn't realize people were stupid. Sure.

If the can of folgers were strapped to her chest I bet she'd have gotten the same treatment hehe

I'm sure it was the fact that something was strapped to her chest that caught the first bout of attention. The object being a lit circuit board certainly didn't help her. If ANYONE has ANYTHING out of the ordinary strapped to their chest in an airport (of all places) they are going to garner attention.

Not if it's one of those new baby bombs.

They look like babies. But they're bombs. :)

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey no reason to get so worked up mc. I don't care if you don't think it looked like a bomb. She had a circuit board on her chest and was holding play-doh. I realize you're amazing and all that but claiming that doesn't come close to being a bomb is stupid. Plus, you even say in your response that it looks like a stereotypical bomb. Well, does it look like a bomb or doesn't it?

It looks like what dumbasses who watch too much 24 might think a bomb would look like. And really, even that is a stretch...it didn't look much like a "TV bomb" either. And, having seen many actual improvised explosive devices, I can say her breadboard actually absolutely nothing like a bomb.

Basically, it only looked like a bomb if you're stupid. Are you stupid?
    Malkor wrote: »
    I guess now is as good a time as any to mention that while I do think the girl was incredible dense/possibly stupid and that the guards did the right thing, that unless she was trying to provoke something that she shouldn't be charged with anything.
    I think at most she should get some community service or a fine. Tying up the authorities for no reason shouldn't go completely unpunished...

They tied themselves up. I can understand the authorities responding...of only because there's the risk that the stupid people (see above) in the airport might think it looks like a bomb (it doesn't, unless you're stupid). So some form of response was probably best. But without some pretty clear evidence of intent, I don't think charges, let alone a conviction (even with just community service) is warranted.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oh good fucking lord.

You might say that they're trying to call attention to it.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like I said, I'm not upset at the airport response, although it has been pointed out very clearly that if it was a bomb, chances are a lot of people would have died as a result of that response, but rather at how dense our society is becoming with regards to real vs. fake threats.

This. Very much this. We've been at Yellow Alert for far too long, people are getting really stupid.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

That all goes back to intention, which essentially means criminalizing stupidity. Not that I'm completely opposed to it... but frankly, I've met a lot of incredibly smart people who haven't had a lick of common sense.

This MIT girl may be their poster-child, but she is not unique.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh good fucking lord.

Not if it's one of those new baby bombs.

They look like babies. But they're bombs. :)

I've seen babies lay some pretty mean bombs

ayuk yuk yuk

Xaquin on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Mischaracterizing her, buying into the media spin, and all of the other shit here is not permissible and just despicable.

Is anyone here really buying into the media spin, though? I think we can all agree that it was a pretty stupid thing to do, a serious lapse in judgement, at best. Sure, we're having some fun at her expense, but I don't think any of us is really being mean-spirited about it, or actually believing all the retarded bullshit from the article. At least, I know I don't. But it's fun to make fun of MITers, because Caltech is the one true paragon of science.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They tied themselves up. I can understand the authorities responding...of only because there's the risk that the stupid people (see above) in the airport might think it looks like a bomb (it doesn't, unless you're stupid). So some form of response was probably best. But without some pretty clear evidence of intent, I don't think charges, let alone a conviction (even with just community service) is warranted.

you can't say things don't look like bombs. If it was a fad like those light up shoes (which are checked anyway) and lots of people were wearing circuit boards with a couple wires leading to a battery on their shirts then maybe they wouldn't/shouldn't pay attention. If you see thousands and thousands of people a day and none of them are wearing the mentioned circuitboard/battery broach and all of a sudden you see one (keep in mind that you are being paid to find suspicious looking devices) shouldn't you do something. Take precautions etc.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Read my fucking posts.

Three times, people have called me out on this.

Three times, I have called the reaction justified, but the stance people take against her in this thread unjustified, or some premises of their reasoning invalid.

What happened was justified-- maybe not some specific details or levels of the response, but yes, it was justified. I said that three times. I said it in my first post here.

Mischaracterizing her, buying into the media spin, and all of the other shit here is not permissible and just despicable.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the charges, accordingly, are despicable.

I was responding to the part where you painted the picture of her reasoning for wearing it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That all goes back to intention, which essentially means criminalizing stupidity. Not that I'm completely opposed to it... but frankly, I've met a lot of incredibly smart people who haven't had a lick of common sense.

Wait wait wait.

Maybe I've just skimmed the facts of this case, but my impression is that she wore a shirt that looked like it might have a bomb attached to it to the airport.

Man, I don't care how unrealistic you think your bomb shirt looks - it's the fucking airport. That's the place they make you take off your fucking shoes because they are so frightened of explosives. You are a fucking idiot if you wear a bomb shirt to the airport. End of story.

Shinto on
  • Options
    GentlemanSkeletonGentlemanSkeleton Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    If security were better trained and might know how to tell a bomb from a generic light-blinking piece of electronic equipment they might not have gotten to the very verge of gunning down an innocent tech chick. I don't understand today's mentality. A girl should be gunned down for standing out, when she's not even in a situation by which any means her eccentricity could be perceived as threatening? Ridiculous, gung-ho bull.

GentlemanSkeleton on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Wait wait wait.

Maybe I've just skimmed the facts of this case, but my impression is that she wore a bomb shirt to the airport.

Man, I don't care how unrealistic you think your bomb shirt looks - it's the fucking airport. That's the place they make you take off your fucking shoes because they are so frightened of explosives. You are a fucking idiot if you wear a bomb shirt to the airport. End of story.

Yeah, but the consensus seems to be that anything can be a bomb shirt.

Imagine, for a moment, that someone wore one of those ATHF litebrite things on their chest, or made a shirt out of it. That doesn't make it a bomb shirt. And frankly, I don't think a circuit board necessarily does either.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I was responding to the part where you painted the picture of her reasoning for wearing it.
    But... that part where I painted the picture had nothing to do with the guards or the guards' response, as the post said, and I've said in many other posts, but about how people seem to think they are immune to these lapses and thereby better than her. :|

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2007

This. Very much this. We've been at Yellow Alert for far too long, people are getting really stupid.

I dunno, the media isn't an accurate representation of public opinion. Just because the headline reads "ZOMGZ BOMBZ IN BOSTON!!!" doesn't mean that the majority of the public is going to agree. The news agencies are trying for splashy titles that will catch people's curiosity and make them buy the paper or watch their station. Yes, there definitely are incredibly dense people that will buy into the sensationalist phrasing of the article, but obviously a good number of people will realize how retarded it is to make a big deal out of this affair. I'm pretty sure anyone with an ounce of common sense will realize that this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    My only question is how did a person so goddamn stupid get into MIT?
    Seriously. What the hell
    Being good at math does not make you good at, well, the rest of life.

You would think engineers and mathematicians could at least put two and two together, though.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If security were better trained and might know how to tell a bomb from a generic light-blinking piece of electronic equipment they might not have gotten to the very verge of gunning down an innocent tech chick. I don't understand today's mentality. A girl should be gunned down for standing out, when she's not even in a situation by which any means her eccentricity could be perceived as threatening? Ridiculous, gung-ho bull.

If officers draw their weapons on someone and that person turns out not to have a bomb, then that is a little bad.

If nothing gets done and it is a bomb, that's really really bad.

This stuff about security training is bullshit.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Wait wait wait.

Maybe I've just skimmed the facts of this case, but my impression is that she wore a bomb shirt to the airport.

Yeah, but the consensus seems to be that anything can be a bomb shirt.

Is that the consensus?

It's been six years since 9/11 and this is the first bomb shirt story I've heard.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Wait wait wait.

Maybe I've just skimmed the facts of this case, but my impression is that she wore a shirt that looked like it might have a bomb attached to it to the airport.

Then it's a good thing she didn't wear a shirt with a bomb picture, but wore a shirt with a circuit-board attached to show her pride regarding the MIT engineering team.

The biggest problem with these scares is that it diverts people from serious issues.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

how many shirts have you seen recently with a battery and circuitboard hanging out of them. I'm 27 years old and I've never seen one.

the closest thing I've ever seen is a christmas shirt where the tree lit up.

she wasn't gunned down and no one here has suggested that she should have been.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

If officers draw their weapons on someone and that person turns out not to have a bomb, then that is a little bad.

If officers seem to be only capable of identifying bombs that look like they came off the 24 set, that's also really really not great.

Because that means actual real bombs will blow up often.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how posters in this thread have said that a "bomb could look like anything," then use that to justify that "what she had looked like a bomb."

Way to go, retards.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I bet the shirt screeners are already busy with the ironic t-shirts.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

how many shirts have you seen recently with a battery and circuitboard hanging out of them. I'm 27 years old and I've never seen one.

the closest thing I've ever seen is a christmas shirt where the tree lit up.

she wasn't gunned down and no one here has suggested that she should have been.

The article is all, "She's extremely lucky" and "should be thankful" that she isn't a bullet-ridden corpse, which is just stupid.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »

Wait wait wait.

Then it's a good thing she didn't wear a shirt with a bomb picture, but wore a shirt with a circuit-board attached to show her pride regarding the MIT engineering team.

Oh, so just homemade electronics strapped to her shirt. I'm sure the police just should have assumed everything was chill.

Look, if there is a doubt in the minds of people it has to be treated like the real thing.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »

Wait wait wait.

The biggest problem with these scares is that it diverts people from serious issues.

Wearing a circuitboard proclaiming your love for MIT is all fine and dandy. Just not at the airport where they can't afford stupid things like that.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    14173437zu0.jpg

Pic of the genius in question.

The hair should have been a giveaway regarding her mental ability. Or rather, lack thereof.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm all for her being questioned at the airport, and even the electronics being confiscated.

But she's facing 5 years in prison.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If officers seem to be only capable of identifying bombs that look like they came off the 24 set, that's also really really not great.

Because that means actual real bombs will blow up often.

So maybe people should just be allowed to walk around airports with homemade electronics that might be bombs on their chests.

Hell, why stop there. Let's have them board the planes. In fact, let's have them walk into the oval office.

"Gee John, should we let this guy with the wires sticking out of his jacket in to see the president?"

"Remember Bob, anything could look like a bomb, therefore we should let him in because otherwise we might be too paranoid."

As though being paranoid is somehow the worst thing that could happen.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I like how posters in this thread have said that a "bomb could look like anything," then use that to justify that "what she had looked like a bomb."

Way to go, retards.

I'm rubber and you're glue what ever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

edit: 5 years is way too harsh.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Way to go, retards.

it looks more like a bomb then any other shirt I've ever seen. Mostly I guess because it had an electronic device attached to it.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm all for her being questioned at the airport, and even the electronics being confiscated.

I disagree with the charges/potential sentence, but not with the arrest/rest of it too.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Way to go, retards.

Um... How is that retarded? Just because we have no definite way of visually identifying a bomb, does that mean we should just give up and ignore everything? She was displaying something that is commonly found in bombs (which is obviously not the same as "is only found in bombs" which some people seem to have a hard time understanding), and thus justified a security response. As Oboro said, the exact manner of the response might be a bit overboard, but that is something on which I will refrain from opining.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Way to go, retards.

it looks more like a bomb then any other shirt I've ever seen. Mostly I guess because it had an electronic device attached to it.

Quick question: how many bombs have you seen outside of the movies?
    800px-IED_Baghdad_from_munitions.jpg

The resemblance is startling.

Doc on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm not very sure drawing a weapon on someone that turns out to have a bomb is a very good thing, either.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Well that's obviously crap.

It doesn't change the fact that officers with drawn weapons treating her as though she might actually have a bomb is the correct way to handle this.

Shinto on