As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

vista/internet/IPconflict stuff

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
okay, running vista 64bit here. I used to have an old XP machine on this very same connection that is pretty simple, and I used to get IP conflicts some of the time. No harm in that, just go reset the automatic IP thing.
This, however did not work in vista. It diagnosed the ip conflict and supposedly reset my ip. Didn't work, so I thougt I'd set it myself. Didn't work. At which point, I played around with the settings a lot, and it still didn't work. Rebooted a couple of times too.
Then I booted up in Ubuntu, and lo and behold, the bastard fixed my internet. Booted into Vista, and the connection still works.
Except... It says I have two connections. One is LAN the other is broadband. LAN gets out to the internet, no trouble, but vista keeps insisting on trying to connect to broadband, at which point the internet freezes until I click cancel.
Broadband connection is disconnected and will not connect, but I have the internet, so I don't care except it keeps popping up "cant connect to broadband, redial?" even though I was just a second ago surfing the internet!
This is irritating. Any help?

Burning Organ on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hmm. I'm not quite sure i understand this entirely

but you should be able to disable whatever is controlling it in msconfig

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, just tried deleting the connection, will let you know how that goes :D

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    from the looks of it it didn't go too well

edit: if it doesn't work you can always do what i do with my belkin wireless drivers (i let microsoft control it)

right click the task bar, properties, customize, always hide

works for me

• Options
    edited September 2007
    It isn't irritating because it pops up, it's irritating because during that time, I hve no internet.
    Anyway, it doesn't pop up anymore, but my internet seems to be frequently getting disconnected....

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    try just straight up disabling it as a startup iem in msconfig, then restart your comp

if that doesn't work I'll have more in the morning

for now I'm off to bed