As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Garbage Truck is Ruining my Sleep

TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've just moved into a new apartment this summer for the upcoming school year. For the past few weeks the garbage truck has been coming by at roughly 8:30AM. Every. Single. Day. Doing the whole BEEEP BEEEP thing that they do to be as annoying as possible. I'm a fairly light sleeper and it's been waking me up everyday. It's especially aggravating as I don't need to be up until 10AM or later, but often times I find myself simply unable to fall back asleep.

I have ear plugs that don't really help. My room, which I share with a heavier sleeping roommate, has a balcony with a big sliding glass door that faces the street. My bed already is already as far away from the balcony as possible, but that hardly seems to make a difference. It is too late to change apartments, and I can't really do any construction to say add sound proofing to the walls.

Are there simple, cheap, non-permanent things I can do to make my room more sound proof? All the sound basically comes through the glass balcony door. Are there better ear plugs that I could buy? Although then I worry that I won't hear my alarm. Does anyone have any other ideas, or a similar experience and solution?

Help me H/A, it's driving me insane!

tf2_sig.png
TechBoy on

• Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, there are crazy ear plugs that block pretty much all noise.

You could set up a big mattress against the sliding glass door. Or other things. Stack shit up. Add a bookcase in front of it or something if you dont plan on using the door. Replacing the glass with double pane glass would cost a few bucks but would help.

Lastly, its 8:30 for crying out loud. Hardly all that early. Go back to sleep or get up and do something productive. Most people have to wake up at 6 for work and soon you'll have to too.

aesir on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    Lastly, its 8:30 for crying out loud. Hardly all that early. Go back to sleep or get up and do something productive. Most people have to wake up at 6 for work and soon you'll have to too.
    Man, some people are genetically predisposed to function better by staying up and getting up later. Treating it like "everyone else does it, why should you have a problem with it" is a pretty bullshit thing to do. Besides, the dude's in college; people in college aren't supposed to get up early.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There aren't too many simple and cheap ways to effectively sound proof a sliding glass door, that I'm aware of anyway. You could try really heavy curtains, but they're probably not cheap, and it's not going to eliminate the sound completely. Bookcase or whatever in front of it, like was said before, would probably be a bit more effective if you don't use the door. Some sort of wall insulation pressed between the glass and a couple sheets of plywood would probably work even better, if you don't mind it looking stupid.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007

And in a shocking development, some people actually work at night. I'm eagerly awaiting responses on this thread because I have a similar problem - construction and jackhammers right outside my house from 8-5 and my walls are apparently paper-thin.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Try changing rooms if possible?

Or visit the good will to see if you can buy some blankets on the cheap to stick up on the windows.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm thinking putting some sort of foam on the window (or hanging it from the window frame if you regularly use the balcony) might help. There's a particular type I'm thinking of but I can't remember the name... egg crate foam or something like that, which has a bunch of bumps spaced regularly such that eggs would fit nicely in the gaps.

If your roommate doesn't mind you could also try sleeping with a fan on, or some similar device that emits a constant low-level noise. The sound from the fan will dampen any external noises, possibly bringing them below the threshold where they'll wake you up. This assumes of course that you don't have problems tuning out the fan, or else it'd just make your problem worse.

Smasher on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are better ear plugs than what you are using, but then my concern would be how an alarm can wake you up.
    Vibrating alarm?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You’ll get used to it. I live next to a 24-hour McDonalds and a bar frequented by tranny hookers and their patrons. Add in trucks that come and go pretty damned early and I have one really noisy alley outside my bedroom window. But after a few months I got used to the noise and I sleep through it all—even the carillon at a nearby church, which goes off daily at noon, fails to wake me if for some reason I’m taking a nap in the early afternoon.

supabeast on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Man, some people are genetically predisposed to function better by staying up and getting up later. Treating it like "everyone else does it, why should you have a problem with it" is a pretty bullshit thing to do. Besides, the dude's in college; people in college aren't supposed to get up early.

People in college aren't supposed to get up early? Sir, I disagree!

Though, indeed, a person should have the option to sleep when it suits them best.

As for the noise, I tend to agree with supabeast. I live right next to a freeway. At first it bothered the crap out of me, especially since in order not to boil to death, I had to have the window open. Eventually, though, I just tuned it out.

For a quicker fix, though, you could try really BAMF earplugs, the fan suggestion does, in fact, work like a charm as well. Otherwise, maybe until you _do_ get used to it, you could use the time to do something productive, like, have it ready for yourself when you get up out of bed!

Like, work on that novel you've been putting off or something. You could twist the situation and use the time as a sort of gift, time you wouldn't normally have had, in order to do some things that matter... or, if you're feeling especially esoteric/spiritual, you could take a bit of time to just be. I find that when I do this, the rest of my day tends to go, if not smoother, at least more calmly and pleasantly.

Rend on
  • Options
    inertinert Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    well, dunno if this'll help or not but at my work we sell 1/2" thick 4'X8' sheets of fiberboard that pretty effectively stops sound... it's not really feasible to put it on your glass but you can lean it up against it or put it up and put the curtains in front of it or something to hold it in place. its not quite as effective as actually installing the stuff behind your drywall but it'll do better than a bookcase, i think... it just looks like shit (think brown colored plywood). the stuff we sell is only about 8 dollars a sheet too. its called Soundstop.

edit:

here's the website

edit edit:

keep in mind this is fibrous material made mostly from dried sugar cane and other things... if you have an allergy or sensitive skin to where you'd get really itchy from touching it then i would not recommend this. the heavy, dense object in front of your door idea would be a better one.

inert on
    Hell hath no limits, nor is restricted itself to one place; for where we are is Hell, And where Hell is, there must we ever be. ~ Marlowe
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Meet my good friend Mr. Relief, however, he's going to cost you.

Expensive, I know. My friend and I both have the QC2. Absolutely amazing.

Shogun on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In hustle and flow they noise proof a room by stapling egg cartons to all the walls.

I doubt this would work very well but I would like to see you do it and take pictures.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Carpet will sound proof a sliding glass door for the most part. Egg carts would work too because it is the same concept as putting any type of foam on the wall but I think carpet would work the best and you could take it down.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Meet my good friend Mr. Relief, however, he's going to cost you.

Expensive, I know. My friend and I both have the QC2. Absolutely amazing.

How could you sleep with those on?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions!

Unfortunately, I am a college student and one of them genetically late-sleeping, late-rising people to boot too. I'll save the conditioning myself to get up at 8 as an absolute last resort. (God forbid it comes to that D:)

Thanks to all that chimed in that I will probably get used to the noise. It's really encouraging, although I have a nagging suspicion (or perhaps fear) that I will never really get used to the sound. It seems too loud, high pitched, sudden, and alarm-like for my body to ever just tune out. However, I will try running fans as white noise and see if I can convince the roommate to let me put up a blanket or carpet or wall of egg cartons ;-)

More ideas are of course welcome, thanks H/A!

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hang heavy layered curtains across the glass?

condition yourself to sleeping with music playing, a lot easier to sleep through opposed to suddenly screeching BEEP BEEP BEEP

both

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TechBoy wrote: »
    It's really encouraging, although I have a nagging suspicion (or perhaps fear) that I will never really get used to the sound. It seems too loud, high pitched, sudden, and alarm-like for my body to ever just tune out. However, I will try running fans as white noise and see if I can convince the roommate to let me put up a blanket or carpet or wall of egg cartons

That was my thought. Although in many situations you'll adjust to your new living space, something like a garbage truck showing up isn't something you can just drown out. It's a sudden increase in noise, and even if it happens at the exact same time every day, it's still a loud noise amidst the otherwise-quiet morning.

You'll probably adjust a bit, to the point where you'll be able to go right back to sleep once it's gone, but that's probably about it. Dampening the noise with carpeting or some other barrier will help a fair bit, as will white noise from a fan, but there's a good chance that unless it's only barely loud enough to wake you now, it'll continue to do so.

You can try those expandable foam earplugs - they're quite comfortable to wear to bed once you get used to them, but I find they inevitably end up coming out throughout the night, so I doubt they'd be effective when you needed them.

Wish I had some decent suggestions, but it sounds like this'll be a tough thing to get rid of completely.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    musanman wrote: »
    In hustle and flow they noise proof a room by stapling egg cartons to all the walls.
    That will do nothing.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    RNEMESiS42 wrote: »
    musanman wrote: »
    That will do nothing.

It's good for preventing sound from within the room from exiting. That's all though.

EDIT: Also for deadening a room.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    May sound daft but can you sleep with music on? If so get some headphones you can sleep in, put some music on and fall asleep to it. The music'll keep playing and you hopefully won't hear the truck in the morning.

It's not for everyone, but it's worked for me in the past.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    May sound daft but can you sleep with music on? If so get some headphones you can sleep in, put some music on and fall asleep to it. The music'll keep playing and you hopefully won't hear the truck in the morning.

It's not for everyone, but it's worked for me in the past.

i was actually about to suggest this

it actually used to get me in trouble because i got so used to background noise when i was sleeping that i would ignore the alarm clock as well

for a while the only thing that would wake me up was when someone was looking at me (something that started when my little brother started sneaking into my room to steal things early in the morning don't ask how)

I'd say try that

start with something calming though

I would recommend "Outbound- Bela Fleck and the Flecktones"

it's what i started with

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fans! I cannot sleep without them. I sleep with two of them going in my room, be it summer or otherwise. I have a little room heater fan that has a 'fan-only' setting. I put this on the bedside table and turn it on if there's any noise.

This will sound obvious too, but try putting small heavy pillows on either side of your head (if it's comfortable). They're like giant, comfortable, sound-reducing ear muffs. Sort of luxurious too!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    also if you have a few days where you don't need sleep so much (like a day off) open your window and sleep as close to it as possible

that way you can get used to the sound at a louder volume, and while it won't disturb your sleep schedule too much

once you can sleep with the window open, leaving it closed will be cake

until then try the music

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on