As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get the cops called on me over Facebook comments?

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So not long ago I made a facebook.
Once there, I joined a group that was against a movie theater I once worked at.
It was basically for people who worked there who were unhappy with the experience and customers who complained about service and cleansliness.
I made a comment earlier today stating :'Worst job I ever had. Also, popcorn has bugs in it, don't buy it."
This is very true. The manager was very rude to me while I worked there, and said many perverted things.
After I made my comment, a person named "Bob Smith" arrived and trashed me, calling me a "lazy slug" and stating that I was fired, when I actually quit.
Then, a friend who also once worked there phoned me and told me to delete my comments because the theater planned on calling the cops on anyone who was in the group (it had some foul language in it, so I imagine it could be reported).
This freaked me out, and I deleted my account because A) I dn't like the idea of cops calling me and B) and I didn't really need a Facebook anyway.

But now, thinking back, it doesn't make sense.
How could they call the cops when all I was saying was my opinion and my experiences when I worked there?
And who was that "Bob Smith" dude who verbally attacked me?

So, am I in any trouble with the cops, at all? Or was this just a scare tactic to shut us up?

Local H Jay on

• Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Dude, are you new to the internet? No, the cops are not gonna arrest you and send you to prison for something you posted on facebook. Especially not for "foul language". Fwa-ha..

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you were just making that bugs comment as a joke (and it's not true), I guess they could theoretically take civil action if they were totally out to get you, but foul language isn't something the cops are going to give a crap about

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I was worried if it was considered slander or some shit.
    Sorry if this seems stupid, but I'd just rather avoid the police if I can.
    Also, the bugs thing is very true.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought you guys had free speech in America.

The police can't arrest you for libel or slander anyway; that's a civil matter. But if you say there are bugs in the popcorn, and there were, then they're fine.

No-one is going to file suit against you for that.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, unless you made specific threats the cops wouldn't care

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yep, the theater just used one big ass fake scare tactic, and it worked. :(

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    well, if you can't prove the bugs were in the popcorn, they might be capable of scoring a civil slander suit. But they're not going to, because its not worth it (unless you're a secret millionaire). Sign right the hell back up, screw them.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I recovered my account.
    And that dude "Bob Smith" messaged me asking if I was fired for theft, and I was like "Um...no."
    And then Facebook told me that sending a message to people allows them to see my profile.
    Son of a bitch.
    I changed my prefrences but he may have already seen my cell phone number...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah, don't post that stuff on-line just because they've made a field available. And you can always block this guy from even seeing you have an account, or put him on your limited profile. familiarise yourself with the privacy settings.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    yeah, don't post that stuff on-line just because they've made a field available. And you can always block this guy from even seeing you have an account, or put him on your limited profile. familiarise yourself with the privacy settings.

I did that stuff once I realized what he was trying to do.
    I did it thinking only accepted friends could see my info.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

So...? What's he gonna do with your cell #? If he calls, you can just hang up on the guy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

So...? What's he gonna do with your cell #? If he calls, you can just hang up on the guy.

And if he continues to call, you can have the cops go after him for harassment :D

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    On the second day of my criminal justice class the professor informed us that she knew which ones of us smoked and which ones drank underage because she too has a school e-mail address and checked out everyone's facebook. She then told the class not to publish photographs of themselves committing crimes, as employers and teachers will totally look and see.

Edit: She didn't catch me though because I didn't have facebook. :^:

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On the second day of my criminal justice class the professor informed us that she knew which ones of us smoked and which ones drank underage because she too has a school e-mail address and checked out everyone's facebook. She then told the class not to publish photographs of themselves committing crimes, as employers and teachers will totally look and see.

God yes. For the love of christ people, Facebook isn't a private happy go lucky dowhateveryouwantfest. People can see it!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As a general rule, don't put anything on the internet you wouldn't be comfortable with everyone in the world seeing. This includes parents, potential employers, teachers, etc.

If you use that as a guideline, you'll never have to worry about privacy settings on anything.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I have heard of people getting sued over these my job sucks groups. I know one of the "Publix Sucks" groups had some stuff happen to them. They ended up having to delete the group.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did you post with your real name or provide information that would allow you to be identified easily?

If you didn't they'd have to supeona your ISP to get your name and personal info first. Unless you're trafficking in kiddie orn or something any ISP worth shit will fight them tooth andnail to get your name. It's simply bad bussiness for ISP to give out your personal information to anyone who demands it. I highly doubt they'd go that far for some facebook comments.

Even if you do know who you are they have no case anyway. Slander is for one thing a civil matter so the police would never be involved. Second a judge would laught them out of court if they actually filed a suit for this. Then he'd probably fine them for wasting the courts time. Third if it's true it's not slander.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did you post with your real name or provide information that would allow you to be identified easily?

If you didn't they'd have to supeona your ISP to get your name and personal info first. Unless you're trafficking in kiddie orn or something any ISP worth shit will fight them tooth andnail to get your name. It's simply bad bussiness for ISP to give out your personal information to anyone who demands it. I highly doubt they'd go that far for some facebook comments.

Even if you do know who you are they have no case anyway. Slander is for one thing a civil matter so the police would never be involved. Second a judge would laught them out of court if they actually filed a suit for this. Then he'd probably fine them for wasting the courts time. Third if it's true it's not slander.

You're not familiar with Facebook, are you? I'd say most people who actually use the service for what it's meant for (keeping in touch, etc) use not only their real name but several include way too much info (like address, phone number, where they keep their pot, etc).

Anyhow, for the OP. They won't do anything to you. If they do call you in and try to sue you, counter sue. You said your boss made many perverted comments which juries just LOVE to eat up. The way this person sounds it wouldn't be very hard to bend them over in court. Not saying I'm all for being sue happy, but if their being dicks about it and refuse to let up, you should take them down a peg. I mean, bugs in the popcorn for fucks sake!

Magus` on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    So not long ago I made a facebook.
    Once there, I joined a group that was against a movie theater I once worked at.
    It was basically for people who worked there who were unhappy with the experience and customers who complained about service and cleansliness.
    I made a comment earlier today stating :'Worst job I ever had. Also, popcorn has bugs in it, don't buy it."
    This is very true. The manager was very rude to me while I worked there, and said many perverted things.
    After I made my comment, a person named "Bob Smith" arrived and trashed me, calling me a "lazy slug" and stating that I was fired, when I actually quit.
    Then, a friend who also once worked there phoned me and told me to delete my comments because the theater planned on calling the cops on anyone who was in the group (it had some foul language in it, so I imagine it could be reported).
    This freaked me out, and I deleted my account because A) I dn't like the idea of cops calling me and B) and I didn't really need a Facebook anyway.

But now, thinking back, it doesn't make sense.
    How could they call the cops when all I was saying was my opinion and my experiences when I worked there?
    And who was that "Bob Smith" dude who verbally attacked me?

So, am I in any trouble with the cops, at all? Or was this just a scare tactic to shut us up?

Did the popcorn actually have bugs in it?

Because I believe that that is what any kind of libel suit would rest on.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    You're not familiar with Facebook, are you? I'd say most people who actually use the service for what it's meant for (keeping in touch, etc) use not only their real name but several include way too much info (like address, phone number, where they keep their pot, etc).

Just a note on phone numbers, etc.: the one nice thing about Facebook is that you can pick and choose by network what contact info shows up. So, for my work network I can show my work #, my personal e-mail address can be friend-only, etc.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »
    Dude, are you new to the internet? No, the cops are not gonna arrest you and send you to prison for something you posted on facebook. Especially not for "foul language". Fwa-ha..

That's not exactly true.

At Ohio State the police there used Facebook to find and arrest people who rushed the field after one of the games. Facebook can and IS used by law enforcement... which is why you should be careful about what you put on there.

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/media/storage/paper87/news/2006/01/25/News/Can-Facebook.Lead.To.Your.Arrest-1504305.shtml

Linky

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, what they did was illegal (I'm guessing, seems kind of silly to me). What the OP did isn't really illegal unless someone really stretches some law somewhere.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, what they did was illegal (I'm guessing, seems kind of silly to me). What the OP did isn't really illegal unless someone really stretches some law somewhere.

That's true... but claiming the popcorn has bugs in could be a good way to get nailed with a civil suit.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If they were telling the truth, it'd be an opening for a countersuit.

By a lot of people.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

That's true... but claiming the popcorn has bugs in could be a good way to get nailed with a civil suit.

If the other party had the resources and the inclination to attempt such a suit, sure.

But proving that he even said anything would be difficult in the first place. And if the popcorn really did have bugs, even once, then it's not much of a case.

And such a case would result in a lot of undue scrutiny on the theatre owner's operations.

It's more or less completely not worth it to actually sue here. If you could scare the kid into shutting up without really spending any money though...

Pheezer on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Due to the sheer amount of popcorn produced, the suggestion that (not even once) did a single insect fly through the entrance unnoticed and land in the Popcorn before it was served is quite simply absurd beyond belief. The onus would be on them to proove that it was completeley impossible for insects to be in the popcorn, since you could easily state that a batch you had eaten there once (although you had been not overly concerned and thus not reported it) had once had a bug in it.

As for Facebook and employers, do you really want to work for a company which is willing to engage in deception and 'espionage' to gather more information about you? Does that sound like a company which is going to respect your need for a positive work environment and for a life beyond work? They already have a titanic information and power advantage over you in the hiring process, can they really justify increasing it?

Also recall that Facebook has different privacy settings for students, alumni, teachers etc and that the university takes a dim view of professors pretending to be students etc.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »
    As for Facebook and employers, do you really want to work for a company which is willing to engage in deception and 'espionage' to gather more information about you? Does that sound like a company which is going to respect your need for a positive work environment and for a life beyond work? They already have a titanic information and power advantage over you in the hiring process, can they really justify increasing it?

How is investigating you in every potential way "deception and espionage?" They didn't hack the facebook, it was just there.

If information is available, people will find it. Would I fault an employer for using every resource at their disposal to learn about prospective employees? No, that's their job. You're perfectly welcome to do whatever you want in your spare time, but if I was an employer and had a choice between one candidate who apparently spent his free time working with kids, and another who apparently spent all his free time getting retarded, doing bong rips, and making gang signs at a camera, who do you think I'm going to hire?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

So if I'm a published author, and a potential employer buys and reads a copy of my book before hiring me, they're deceptively spying on me? What flavor of stupid are you, exactly?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

That's a nice philosophy, but the fact is that most employers in my area have interns or employees check a person's Facebook during the interview process. A lot of the recruiters are upfront about it, too. It's just another information resource to them. That's why I treat my Facebook like a resume: nice clean-shaven pictures of myself and all of my work experience.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

How is investigating you in every potential way "deception and espionage?" They didn't hack the facebook, it was just there.

If information is available, people will find it. Would I fault an employer for using every resource at their disposal to learn about prospective employees? No, that's their job. You're perfectly welcome to do whatever you want in your spare time, but if I was an employer and had a choice between one candidate who apparently spent his free time working with kids, and another who apparently spent all his free time getting retarded, doing bong rips, and making gang signs at a camera, who do you think I'm going to hire?

Or how about it's none of their business what one does in their free time if it does not effect job performance?

evanismyname on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If I do not mention to you what I do in my spare time, and I do not have a criminal record it is none of my employers business. Our example person here already gains a negative over the charitable person since I cant simply come out and say "On weekends I do work with kids". Anti-social behavior and illegal activities outside the workplace only become the business of the employer when they interfere with someones ability to do the job, either in terms of competence or in terms of trust.

My point was made in the perspective of the statement of the Law professor who said "I have a student email account and can see your facebook pages". However any sensible person sets up various permissions and allowances for what people can see on facebook, for an employer to bypass them requires the employer to pretend to be someone they are not. Perfectly possible, but highly dubious in terms of morality considering the titanic information advantage the employer already possesses over the potential employee.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Or how about it's none of their business what one does in their free time if it does not effect job performance?

Having visible tattoos and piercings doesn't (depending on your field) affect job performance either, but I guarantee you they will frequently impact whether you get hired or not. In a perfect world, your work life and personal life can be completely disconnected. This is typically not the case. Employers don't like to be told to mind their own business, incidentally. If you don't want something to be public knowledge, DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I do not mention to you what I do in my spare time, and I do not have a criminal record it is none of my employers business. Our example person here already gains a negative over the charitable person since I cant simply come out and say "On weekends I do work with kids". Anti-social behavior and illegal activities outside the workplace only become the business of the employer when they interfere with someones ability to do the job, either in terms of competence or in terms of trust.

Whether or not your personal life will impact your work life is irrelevant to this particular argument. Employers will use any information available to them to make inferences about your character, and might make decisions based on those inferences. Unfair? Probably. Does it happen? Absolutely.

My point was made in the perspective of the statement of the Law professor who said "I have a student email account and can see your facebook pages". However any sensible person sets up various permissions and allowances for what people can see on facebook, for an employer to bypass them requires the employer to pretend to be someone they are not. Perfectly possible, but highly dubious in terms of morality considering the titanic information advantage the employer already possesses over the potential employee.

Which is why setting up those permissions is so important. I personally have facebook set so that nobody can see my profile at all unless they're a friend of mine. Most people who are getting screened by employers on facebook have their profiles set to viewable by anybody in their network, which hardly qualifies as devious investigation.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Interesting dilemma... this is happening to two of my current roommates.

Over summer lets call him Jack ended up posting a comment to the effect of "Bob Smith is a fucking fag" on Vaheeb's facebook. Justified really because Bob Smith refused to let any of us move in one day earlier to our university residence causing us all massive inconvenience and in some cases large sums of money loss. No points for creativity to Jack though.

Still somehow the faculty became aware of this, god knows how, I though professors and people of the like had better shit to do than to snoop students face books, but apparently not.

Now they're involved with the housing and residence people, they seem to be suggesting that they've violated the residence and housing contract despite the fact that the comment was made before they moved in, and from the USA and India respectively.

Any thoughts gentlemen? Any law students here?
    I seek council gentlemen.

PS: Yes I told them to delete facebook, and yes I don't have one because its lame.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »

That's a nice philosophy, but the fact is that most employers in my area have interns or employees check a person's Facebook during the interview process. A lot of the recruiters are upfront about it, too. It's just another information resource to them. That's why I treat my Facebook like a resume: nice clean-shaven pictures of myself and all of my work experience.

Its still a sign of a company with very dubious work practices who I would not want to work for. Its the exact sort of company who on day two of your job reveal that in fact you're going to have to work on those days of holiday you negotiated, and so on. If there was any kind of information equivalence here there position might be understandable, but they have access to titanic amounts of info about you and your chances of getting the job already. It may be the case that noone else has applied who is qualified and that the job desperately needs to be filled tomorrow, it my be the case that you are wasting your time and they are using your interview to help train in a few assistant managers on interview techniques, they wont tell you that.

Furthermore if I informed them that I was going to have a friend in the company check the lists of people being interviewed to see if anyone else was capable, and look over the lists of vital tasks for the position which he could gain access to I doubt they would look upon my attempt to restore information parity with any more kindness than I look upon there efforts to make sure I dont have a life outside work.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »

Its still a sign of a company with very dubious work practices who I would not want to work for. Its the exact sort of company who on day two of your job reveal that in fact you're going to have to work on those days of holiday you negotiated, and so on. If there was any kind of information equivalence here there position might be understandable, but they have access to titanic amounts of info about you and your chances of getting the job already. It may be the case that noone else has applied who is qualified and that the job desperately needs to be filled tomorrow, it my be the case that you are wasting your time and they are using your interview to help train in a few assistant managers on interview techniques, they wont tell you that.

Furthermore if I informed them that I was going to have a friend in the company check the lists of people being interviewed to see if anyone else was capable, and look over the lists of vital tasks for the position which he could gain access to I doubt they would look upon my attempt to restore information parity with any more kindness than I look upon there efforts to make sure I dont have a life outside work.

Once again, great philosophy, but in the real world companies and prospective employees (especially recent graduates looking for jobs) aren't on a level playing field. I know that, and I use their data mining techniques to my advantage. Better they see what I want them to see than for them to dig deeper and find something else to base my character on.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

God yes. For the love of christ people, Facebook isn't a private happy go lucky dowhateveryouwantfest. People can see it!

Seriously. I hope more people will get busted doing this. I don't want to see pictures of your girlfriend licking your veiny nipple while you're dumping the contents of red plastic cups all over yourselves.

I've had pictures of parties I've been to on facebook, and it's been fine because the only evidence of what decadence went on in the party is how silly we look in the pictures, not a fucking keg in the background. People are so dumb.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's completely inappropriate to use H/A as a venue for debating your personal views regarding issues completely tangential to the question posed by the thread creator. Next time I see it there will be infractions, as it's pretty much instant death for any potentially useful thread whenever that shit happens.

Pheezer on
This discussion has been closed.