As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega Confirms Samba de Amigo For Wii, Courtesy of Gearbox

toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163152
1UP wrote:
Sega of America has since confirmed to 1UP that Samba de Amigo is coming to Wii, courtesy of Gearbox Software. They promise that more information is coming soon, so stay tuned!

mediamw7.jpg

So Sega loves the Wii. First Nights looks much improved now this. I'm a sucker for music games and really, Wii Remote = maracas is too easy.

Intriguingly, Gearbox Software is apparently at the helm. First Person Shooter Rhythm Game (FPSRG) confirmed?

For those who missed out on the original: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_de_amigo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rkEcCuwV_ko&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qE22QohKhlI

OTP.jpg
toxk_02 on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    YES!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thank god a Sega team isn't making it. They'd fuck it up for sure.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If I could bitchslap someone across the internet...

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have reduced multiple parties full of non-gamers into giggling loons thanks to the original Samba. This news is muchas bueno.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Believe me, I was a huge Sega fanboy. But lately I have no faith in them at all. I'm sorry :(

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If each player needs two wiimotes, no dice.

If the nunchuck works, then maybe.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Believe me, I was a huge Sega fanboy. But lately I have no faith in them at all. I'm sorry :(

Because Sega sure screwed up Sonic and the Secret Rings. And NiGHTS 2. And Sonic Rush Adventure.

Boy let me tell you about how they screwed up Virtua Fighter 5. Or Afterburner Climax. or House of the Dead 4.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Because Sega sure screwed up Sonic and the Secret Rings. And NiGHTS 2. And Sonic Rush Adventure.

Boy let me tell you about how they screwed up Virtua Fighter 5. Or Afterburner Climax. or House of the Dead 4.

Nights isn't out yet, and Sonic Rush is done by Dimps.

Besides, Sega made Sonic 360/PS3 and Shadow the Hedgehog, so I'm surprised you're sticking up for them after they anally-raped your favorite character.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

We haven't seen NiGHTS 2 and SRA yet. You have to admit that there's not much cause to assume that Sonic Team can shit gold at present.

(and obviously VF5 came out good, I mean hell, AM2 hasn't really ever let us down).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wonder how they will work out shaking in the different directions. ( I only played the original with a standard controller)

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Besides, Sega made Sonic 360/PS3 and Shadow the Hedgehog, so I'm surprised you're sticking up for them after they anally-raped your favorite character.

NiGHTS is shaping up fantastically.

no it wasn't. Sonic Team japan did the engine for Sonic Rush.

And Sonic Team USA made Sonic 360, along with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Not even going to take a swipe at the rest of what I listed? One dev team (which wouldn't even be involved in Samba de Amigo, by the way) fucks up, and suddenly "Sega can't do shit"?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

We haven't seen NiGHTS 2 and SRA yet. You have to admit that there's not much cause to assume that Sonic Team can shit gold at present.

(and obviously VF5 came out good, I mean hell, AM2 hasn't really ever let us down).

I have.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I have.

Great to hear it. I haven't played anything good from Sonic Team since the Dreamcast, so whatever. Those of us without inside information don't have a whole shit-ton of confidence in Sonic Team and it's going to take some time for that to grow back.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

NiGHTS is shaping up fantastically.

no it wasn't. Sonic Team japan did the engine for Sonic Rush.

And Sonic Team USA made Sonic 360, along with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Not even going to take a swipe at the rest of what I listed? One dev team (which wouldn't even be involved in Samba de Amigo, by the way) fucks up, and suddenly "Sega can't do shit"?

Sonic Team USA is still Sega. I didn't specify which Sonic Team. And Dimps did indeed make Sonic Rush 1 and 2, as IGN, Gamespot, and Wikipedia all attest.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I have.

Great to hear it. I haven't played anything good from Sonic Team since the Dreamcast, so whatever. Those of us without inside information don't have a whole shit-ton of confidence in Sonic Team and it's going to take some time for that to grow back.

Exactly. Thank you sir. That said...

So ... Samba de Amigo ...that game sure was fun wasn't it? Here's to hoping we get some more info on this sequel as soon as possible.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Exactly. Thank you sir. That said...

So ... Samba de Amigo ...that game sure was fun wasn't it? Here's to hoping we get some more info on this sequel as soon as possible.
    I hope so too. I don't have a Nintendo Power subscription, if anyone does they should let us know. Though I can see it just being a blurb about it coming and nothing else.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome news! I'm actually more worried that Gearbox is making it - I just checked out their website and their portfolio doesn't really fit the title. Oh well, I suppose it's hard to mess up - just take the first game, add wiimote support and update the music. It just seems odd as pretty much all their previous titles were FPS...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    EDIT: Wrong thread. I fail.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want Shenmue III :(

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want Shenmue III :(

olol
    sorry :(

Tig on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Auto bought. Announcement -> click -> whirr > give money to Sega.

GimeC on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Nunchuck can detect acceleration/roll/pitch same as the Remote, just not the IR.

Directions can be figured out via the accelerometers and the roll of the device. Shaking works just fine already, Raving Rabbids dance segments worked really well.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    steejee wrote: »

Nunchuck can detect acceleration/roll/pitch same as the Remote, just not the IR.

Directions can be figured out via the accelerometers and the roll of the device. Shaking works just fine already, Raving Rabbids dance segments worked really well.
    Don't be silly! We'll be paying $40 for maraca-shaped controllers. If you spend $50, they'll actually rattle!

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My friend tried to set this up the other day because he wanted to play it one more time before he sold it. Holy crap, what a pain in the ass. We couldn't even get it completely calibrated before we just gave up. I'd love to be able to play it without the crazy controller setup.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate Secret of Rings and I am a sonic nut.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, Gamespot and Gamecrazy list of ridiculous SKU's once again hits gold. Fuck if they know WHEN it will come out, but they always seem to know first.

also
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Yeah...But, you're arguing against TSR. He's saving Sonic. When you save Sonic, then your opinion will trump his.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is good news. :D

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I loved the 2D games. I tried Sonic and the Secret Rings but after a few hours gave up and gave the game to a friend (Who's played it twice). It seems a real love or hate type game.

Too fiddly for my liking.

Also, on topic, this game is going to be bought on release date and I personally would love it if it came with maraccas. Shaking the wii mote is one thing, but a proper miracca shaped controller should be an option.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had Samba di Amigo and I loved it. Damn controllers truly were a pain to setup though, and not sensitive enough to get the required 100% on a certain song. Would always be just a bit too high or low at the wrong time. Still a gloriously fun game though, I got a lot of non-gamers playing that thing.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I loved the 2D games. I tried Sonic and the Secret Rings but after a few hours gave up and gave the game to a friend (Who's played it twice). It seems a real love or hate type game.

Too fiddly for my liking.

I hated that game at first but once it gets stupidly hard, it gets fun. The only problem is that happens a fair way into the game.

wateyad on