As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On adopting a cat

SamSam Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a college student in America, here until probably 2010, (My family lives in Hong Kong, which is probably where I'll go after school) and I'd like to get a pet. I think a dog would be out of the question, but I'd like to get a cat. Problem is, I've never had one, and all the ones I've been around didn't seem particularly friendly, although I guess I've never gotten to know one. I saw an ad for one in need of a home, 2 year old male, described as "laid back", "loving" and "good with kids"
I guess I need to properly think this through before going through with it. I know I really want a pet, and I know I could get one for free, and my apartment would work out (have to register it and pay extra rent)
Also, although it probably isn't a simple process, I do know that people have been able to take animals on planes, and I figure cats would be somewhat easier than dogs. I obviously want to do this as little as possible, but I guess I do need info on that too.

Sam on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    sorry, please move to H/A

Sam on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In my experience the most well-adjusted, friendly cats tend to be the ones who're raised from kittenhood in a household free of small children. Most kids are just too jumpy for a cat's liking, and what the kids will think of as energetic play, the cat will register as abuse. That's how lots of cats learn to fear people, and it can take a long time for them to trust you. The most ideal situation if you're concerned about bonding with your cat is to adopt one fresh from the litter, since he'll come to think of you first as a caregiver, and latch onto you pretty much permanently. Two years is mid-to-late teenager in cat years; your average American shorthair reaches adulthood between 3 and 4.

Still, you could take the ad at face value and assume kitty is already friendly, in which case everything'll most likely be fine. Male cats are, in general, more laid-back than females; it's mostly from males that cats get their reputation for passive indifference. Females are more active, and sometimes seem to have more personality, but they're also more skittish.

The main thing I know about flying with your cat is that she'll give you dirty looks for a few days after you do it.

darthmix on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Taking pets to other countries really isn't something you want to do. A friend of mine is moving from here (USA) to England and his two cats have to sit in quarantine for over a month.

You might want to consider setting up some kind of cat foster program with your local shelter.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I know that to take a cat to Hong Kong from the US, all you have to do is obtain certification from a certified vet (for specific criteria) and then pay a fee for a license to bring the animal in ahead of time (like a month) and they don't quarantine.

Sam on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Taking pets to other countries really isn't something you want to do. A friend of mine is moving from here (USA) to England and his two cats have to sit in quarantine for over a month.

You might want to consider setting up some kind of cat foster program with your local shelter.

There is nothing wrong with quarentine periods.

Though what you should be asking is can you still keep the cat when you move back to China?

EDIT: The other thing you have to ask yourself is do you have time for a cat? As much as I would like one, I just don't. At times I don't come back to my apartment for more than 24 hours which means the cat would starve.

Blake T on