Options

MS Office

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Can you use say a office 2007 basic product key for say office 2003 basic?

Reason I ask this, is because exchange 5.5 doesn't work with 2007, but does with 2003.

precisionk on

• Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    keys are keyed to the program. will your house key work for your neighbor's house, even tho they are both split level ranches?

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's not a good analogy. It's a legitimate question, since depending on the type of license model, newer keys can indeed work for older products and vice versa. In my experience with Microsoft products, though, this only applies to the volume licensing stuff (the stuff that doesn't need to be activated). With normal "basic" or "home" versions of Office and the like, I've never seen it work. I don't personally have an Office 2007 key that I can test with my copy of Office 2003, but I doubt that Microsoft has changed their policy in this way. If anything, they've made it more stringent.

whuppins on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No, it will not work. Sorry. And I think it's a fine analogy for MS products. Especially considering that there are two different types of Windows Vista volume license keys, and there are different volume license keys between a full Office Suite and individual components.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was just saying that there are indeed cases where a key would work for an earlier version, so an analogy which seems to imply that such a thing could never happen in any scenario is a little misleading.

whuppins on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ok, for for volume licensing, all bets are off. but for most home users, they are using single license versions of the software. typically shrink wrap boxes.

and altogether, this is a way to force people to upgrade exchange.

and like all analogies, its not perfect. but generally, a single key will open a single lock in most circumstances, weather thats a door or a piece of software.

flatlinegraphics on