As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SPLOOGE ON] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, for US PS2's ZOMG

TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.agetec.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119

FP_wrestling_color8_top.jpg
Japan’s most legendary wrestling series makes its PlayStation 2 debut this fall! The incredibly popular Fire Pro Wrestling series is famous for its unparalleled gameplay depth and unmatched customization options, and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is the biggest and best title yet. Having been widely imported for years by hardcore wrestling fans, this will be the first time that the North American audience will get to experience this amazing series in their native language.

Features:
• The first time this popular Japanese wrestling series has been released in North America on PlayStation 2.
• Up to 8 players can simultaneously go toe to toe..
• A huge variety of match types, everything from Singles to Battle Royal to Electrified Barbed Wire Ropes Exploding Deathmatch!.
• A complete arsenal of wrestling moves and holds. No other wrestling game has such a complete list of moves available..
• The deepest custom wrestler creator anywhere allows players to create and save hundreds of wrestlers, each with their own unique look, moves and AI!.
• The ability to create your own referee, ring, logo, and even belt allows players to recreate any dream match they can think of!.
• Match Maker mode lets players set up their own wrestling show, earn money, and attempt to lure bigger talent to their matches.

And as if that wasn't holy shit awesome enough, it's going to be $20.

I am going to cry man-tears of joy, this is fantastic beyond belief.

TuxedoHawk.png
TxdoHawk on

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this comes out in a week. Gamestop won't reserve it, none of the box stores have heard of it, and to top it off it comes out on the same day as the new Smackdown game. This thing's gonna sell like hotcakes.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    Hotcakes do sell pretty poorly nowadays.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    At best I can see kids asking their parents for 'the new wrestling game', and having them walk into the store and see two new wrestling games: $15 and $60. Maybe that's what Agetec is banking on, I don't know.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fire Pro is probably the most deep wrestling game you can get. The last one I played was on the Dreamcast (granted, that was probably the last wrestling game in general that I've played), but holy crap was it awesome. It has like, 8 kajillion moves all hand animated, it has all the best and popular wrestlers (even though they don't use real names....it's obvious by looking at them who they are. I mean just look at the cover of this one....that IS Triple H). These games are a blast, and 15 bucks is a steal.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    Johnny SkinsJohnny Skins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am thoroughly excited for this one. There was something satisfying about making a wrestling Bear in Fire Pro D and have him squash luchadores when I was in a bad mood. The fact that this edition has a plethora of MMA guys just means I don't have to make the Bear this time around. Cro Cop high kicks to the head ftw.

Edit: I should say for the Critical to be Fire Pro correct.

Johnny Skins on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm looking forward to this. It's pretty much the only really enjoyable wrestling series in existence at this point in time.

And it should be mentioned that the soundtrack is absolutely rocking. Think Guilty Gear Wrestling.

Edit: I can't find it in any stores, though.

Edit part deux: Oh, here we go: http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=13522 - $25 canadian.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My copy is coming tomorrow. Fucking local game stores have no plans to stock it, so hello Amazon and its fantastic next-day shipping which cost more than the game itself but is cheaper than the gasoline to drive to Illinois to buy the game.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh snap, i didnt know this was coming out at all. i played a lot of one of the GBA ones, and the Dreamcast one.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    haha, $14.99 shipped from Amazon.com
    I bought it so hard. The DC import I played was awesome and the GBA games were rather good as well.

This could be half the game the GBA one was and it would still be better than the new Smackdown. God the design decisions on the new Smackdown piss me off. Just an amazing display of dumb.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Whoa, when I made this topic it sank off the first couple of pages with no love whatsoever, so it's good to see some interest. Still waiting for my Amazon copy, I settled for cheap shipping and now I wish I didn't.

Edit: Also, for those who are interested, my manager at Gamestop received an e-mail saying copies of Fire Pro would be in most stores on Wednesday. I wouldn't count on a large print run though, for obvious reasons.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I nothing about this game or the franchise at all. I do think I read once that all the great n64 wrestling games were somehow based on this, is that correct? Whether or not that's the case, does it control like them?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    screenshot_119_7.jpg

D:

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    So I nothing about this game or the franchise at all. I do think I read once that all the great n64 wrestling games were somehow based on this, is that correct? Whether or not that's the case, does it control like them?

I don't know about that, but they have a similar control scheme. It's been a while since I've played the DC version, but basically, it's 100% timing. When you grapple a dude, a grappling sound will play, and whoever presses a combination (direction + action button) first will pull off the move - it is very technical, so button mashing will ultimately do more harm than good. Some moves and specials are too high profile to be pulled off in the beginning of the match, so you need to wear down your opponent, and if you're a small guy, you can't gorilla press Andre the Giant, etc. It has loads of depth and costumization options; just check out the GameFAQs entry on Fire ProWrestling D (yes, in one word).

It is similar to the N64 games, but I don't think they feel the same. It is an entirely different perspective, and it uses sprites, so your mileage may vary. I will say, though, that for $15 or however much it is, you probably won't get a better value for your money in your entire life - from a wrestling game. It's so much better than Smackdown. It will probably be lost in the annals of time fairly quickly, though, and I wouldn't count on another Fire Pro game coming out anytime soon, if ever, so I would scoop this one up fast if I were you. It's cheap, and chances are you'll like it if you're into wrestling games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have never played a wrestling game ever. Will I enjoy this?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    I have never played a wrestling game ever. Will I enjoy this?

Tough to say. It's very different from any other non-import wrestling game out there, and definitely built for people who love wrestling. Very steep learning curve.

Unrelated: I got my copy, woo-hoo! Proceeded to make my first edit, and the first match I playtested him in, he he criticaled with his finisher, the Shining Wizard. 8) I also like the extra-long post-match beatdowns.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »

I don't know about that, but they have a similar control scheme. It's been a while since I've played the DC version, but basically, it's 100% timing. When you grapple a dude, a grappling sound will play, and whoever presses a combination (direction + action button) first will pull off the move - it is very technical, so button mashing will ultimately do more harm than good. Some moves and specials are too high profile to be pulled off in the beginning of the match, so you need to wear down your opponent, and if you're a small guy, you can't gorilla press Andre the Giant, etc. It has loads of depth and costumization options; just check out the GameFAQs entry on Fire ProWrestling D (yes, in one word).

It is similar to the N64 games, but I don't think they feel the same. It is an entirely different perspective, and it uses sprites, so your mileage may vary. I will say, though, that for $15 or however much it is, you probably won't get a better value for your money in your entire life - from a wrestling game. It's so much better than Smackdown. It will probably be lost in the annals of time fairly quickly, though, and I wouldn't count on another Fire Pro game coming out anytime soon, if ever, so I would scoop this one up fast if I were you. It's cheap, and chances are you'll like it if you're into wrestling games.

Thanks for the input. Might have to check out Best Buy on my day off.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    screenshot_119_7.jpg

D:

That's what everyone is OMGSPOOGE'ing about?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yes, it is.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's what everyone is OMGSPOOGE'ing about?
    Fire Pro Wrestling is about the gameplay and customizability, not the graphics.

(insert anti-Wii fanboy joke here)

gtrmp on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm an absolutely HUGE Fire Pro fan, and Super Fire Pro Wrestling Xtreme Premium is up there with Six Man Scramble as my favorite wrestling game.

The amount of customization is INSANE in these games, don't let the 2D sprites shy you away. They're also incredibly addicting, and it's possible to become a God, causing other wrestlers to bleed in literally two hits.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, Razor Ramon HG vs. Danshoku Dino in the gayest barbed wire exploding ring deathmatch ever. Yes, it took both of them to make a barbed wire exploding ring deathmatch anywhere near gay, but the edits for this game make dreams come true. I also had the time of my life beating the everliving shit out of half of the TNA roster with various members of the Gracie family. Hell, I even had a boxing match between Mike Tyson and Bas Ruten which ended with Tyson laid out flat on the mat. I dare THQ to put that in the next Smackdown game.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    been dying to try this series for ages. hope I can get my hands on it in 2 weeks when I get payed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    holy shit

for the first time in 2 years

i have felt the urge to buy a PS2 game

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Haha, I just saw the 1up review.
    We review the best wrestling game ever.

If that isn't a glowing endorsement, I don't know what is.

10/10. That's higher than they scored Mass Effect :D

Cherrn on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hell, I'm enjoying it. It is the best dress-up game I've ever played.

ManonvonSuperock on