As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Images and Spoiler Tags

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
Recently I've been noticing some use of the spoiler tag to hide images. Images that are well beyond the 800x600 dimension restriction and well above the 100kb limit (I am going by G&T image rule restrictions, as it's where I frequent here). I would understand that this is done to keep images from breaking a page's horizontal size, but the fact of the matter is that these images still have to load. Which puts a burden on people with not-so-great internet connections.

I can understand if a thread is labeled [NSF56k], because generally that means the first post in the thread is image heavy and it's a nice courtesy (and typically the images that splatter those posts are within the size restrictions).

The example that prompted this post is here: click.

My request is that the G&T mods note publicly that this doesn't sidestep the image restrictions. It's not a rampant issue, just something that comes up now and then that makes me (and possibly anyone else on dialup) go :x .

Affiliate on Twitch (henroidt)- Listen to me rant about moderates while I play video games!
Currently need help with living expenses. Relevant link is on my Twitch page.
Henroid on

Posts

  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.

    Otherwise, browsing the forums on 56kbps was pointless about 2 years ago, and when I had to do it last year I just ended up either turning images off or using Netzero's image compressor thingy.

    FyreWulff on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's an image restriction on things other than signatures? News to me.

    shadowane on
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not in a position of having anything aside from dialup.

    Henroid on
    Affiliate on Twitch (henroidt)- Listen to me rant about moderates while I play video games!
    Currently need help with living expenses. Relevant link is on my Twitch page.
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    shadowane wrote: »
    There's an image restriction on things other than signatures? News to me.

    Straight from the G&T rules thread which nobody ever reads:
    6 ) Images must be 100KB or smaller in size, 800 pixels or shorter in width.
    • This includes animated GIFs. If you need to share a larger picture, link to it.

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.

    Some forums implement their spoiler tags so that images won't be loaded until you open the spoiler.

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.

    Some forums implement their spoiler tags so that images won't be loaded until you open the spoiler.

    Images don't load on these forums behind spoilers unless I click it.

    FyreWulff on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.

    Some forums implement their spoiler tags so that images won't be loaded until you open the spoiler.

    Images don't load on these forums behind spoilers unless I click it.

    Is that how it works? You'll have to forgive me if I haven't noticed. >.<

    If that is indeed how it works, then I guess I'll have to refrain from clicking spoilers from now on. Self-control. I have none.

    Henroid on
    Affiliate on Twitch (henroidt)- Listen to me rant about moderates while I play video games!
    Currently need help with living expenses. Relevant link is on my Twitch page.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.
    Some forums implement their spoiler tags so that images won't be loaded until you open the spoiler.
    Images don't load on these forums behind spoilers unless I click it.
    Is that how it works? You'll have to forgive me if I haven't noticed. >.<

    If that is indeed how it works, then I guess I'll have to refrain from clicking spoilers from now on. Self-control. I have none.
    No, he's talking about with Opera.

    With other browsers, they do (though, there may be a Firefox extension to stop them).

    Thanatos on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Get Opera, because it's not stupid and doesn't load things it can't see yet.
    Some forums implement their spoiler tags so that images won't be loaded until you open the spoiler.
    Images don't load on these forums behind spoilers unless I click it.
    Is that how it works? You'll have to forgive me if I haven't noticed. >.<

    If that is indeed how it works, then I guess I'll have to refrain from clicking spoilers from now on. Self-control. I have none.
    No, he's talking about with Opera.

    With other browsers, they do (though, there may be a Firefox extension to stop them).

    Apparently there is. IMGLikeOpera
    No idea how well it works though.

    Invisible on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    in addition to that, perhaps a note could be made in the rule to label spoilers that contain uber-images.

    For example -
    this spoiler contains a large image
    [/img]massive image[/img]

    just so that people on 56k can know which spoilers to avoid.

    LewieP on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How hard would it be to make a new tag for megaimages? It could be placed within spoilers when it's necessary to do so without any modifications to the spoiler tag.

    MKR on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    in addition to that, perhaps a note could be made in the rule to label spoilers that contain uber-images.

    For example -
    this spoiler contains a large image
    [/img]massive image[/img]

    just so that people on 56k can know which spoilers to avoid.
    Okay, unless you're using Opera, or maybe Firefox with that extension, images within spoilers load. If you're posting a massive image, like the rules say, link to it. This isn't a problem with the rules or spoiler tags, it's a problem with people posting big images who don't bother to read or pay attention to the rules.

    Thanatos on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    How hard would it be to make a new tag for megaimages? It could be placed within spoilers when it's necessary to do so without any modifications to the spoiler tag.

    Harder than it would be to link to the image anyway like you're supposed to.

    Javen on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Okay, unless you're using Opera, or maybe Firefox with that extension, images within spoilers load. If you're posting a massive image, like the rules say, link to it. This isn't a problem with the rules or spoiler tags, it's a problem with people posting big images who don't bother to read or pay attention to the rules.
    I guess I meant as an alternative to that, but I guess if people are going to ignore the rule, they are likely to another rule too.

    Edit: I guess

    LewieP on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    in addition to that, perhaps a note could be made in the rule to label spoilers that contain uber-images.

    For example -
    this spoiler contains a large image
    [/img]massive image[/img]

    just so that people on 56k can know which spoilers to avoid.
    Okay, unless you're using Opera, or maybe Firefox with that extension, images within spoilers load. If you're posting a massive image, like the rules say, link to it. This isn't a problem with the rules or spoiler tags, it's a problem with people posting big images who don't bother to read or pay attention to the rules.

    Is there any chance we could change those rules? OPs are decidedly awesomer with awesome pictures.

    Lewisham on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    in addition to that, perhaps a note could be made in the rule to label spoilers that contain uber-images.

    For example -
    this spoiler contains a large image
    [/img]massive image[/img]

    just so that people on 56k can know which spoilers to avoid.
    Okay, unless you're using Opera, or maybe Firefox with that extension, images within spoilers load. If you're posting a massive image, like the rules say, link to it. This isn't a problem with the rules or spoiler tags, it's a problem with people posting big images who don't bother to read or pay attention to the rules.

    Is there any chance we could change those rules? OPs are decidedly awesomer with awesome pictures.
    Label the OP "NSF56k."

    Thanatos on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    does labelling a thread as "NSF56k" mean that the contents are excluded from the 800x600/100kb restriction, and effectively allow any size/resolution images?

    LewieP on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2007
    I would go with the SE rules for NSF56k threads, which is under 500k.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    in addition to that, perhaps a note could be made in the rule to label spoilers that contain uber-images.

    For example -
    this spoiler contains a large image
    [/img]massive image[/img]

    just so that people on 56k can know which spoilers to avoid.
    Okay, unless you're using Opera, or maybe Firefox with that extension, images within spoilers load. If you're posting a massive image, like the rules say, link to it. This isn't a problem with the rules or spoiler tags, it's a problem with people posting big images who don't bother to read or pay attention to the rules.

    And honestly, there's no excuse for not linking a gigantic image. Photobucket and Imageshack both give you the capability to post a thumbnail image as a link.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    does labelling a thread as "NSF56k" mean that the contents are excluded from the 800x600/100kb restriction, and effectively allow any size/resolution images?

    I don't think those have ever had that privilege. I think they're just marked to make it understandable that the front post is going to be filled with images that individually meet those requirements (or typically should). Unless it's like those Desktop threads, where images are going to be all over the thread itself.

    Henroid on
    Affiliate on Twitch (henroidt)- Listen to me rant about moderates while I play video games!
    Currently need help with living expenses. Relevant link is on my Twitch page.
Sign In or Register to comment.