As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More car trouble

VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, in part two of my new car costing me money, I have the following problem.

1995 Olds 88. 23,000 miles.

Basically, the other day I was driving to practice the car stalled itwice n the middle of the road while I was driving. The first time I was stopped at a light, and I had just turned the AC up a little bit. The second time I was going over a speedbump. Basically, I put it back in park, and turned it right back on both times, so it's not too bad, but having the car stall out while moving seems pretty dangerous, and I want to have it fixed. Any idea what could be wrong? And then how much it might cost to fix?

VishNub on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like what my Ford did all the time. That was a carburetor problem, but a '95 should have fuel injection; does it?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like your AC compressor is jammed. That happened to my girlfriend with her Altima. The guy at the shop gave her two choices: take the belt off and lose A/C, or pay $1k for a new compressor.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Sounds like what my Ford did all the time. That was a carburetor problem, but a '95 should have fuel injection; does it?

I think so. I'm fairly sure.

VishNub on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VishNub wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    I think so. I'm fairly sure.
    Okay, this is a little complicated, but there are a couple of methods you can use to figure out whether or not your car has fuel injection:

*Check the owner's manual.
    *Pop the hood. Look around the engine area; is there anything labeled "fuel injector?"

Let me know if that's too technical; I'll try to simplify it for you. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I used to have an early-model Audi Fox with a the same problem, and it was fuel-injected. Unfortunately for VishNub, my "solution" was to get rid of it, because it was not worth fixing.
    It really only has 23,000 miles even though it's twelve years old? Do you know if it's had any work done on the fuel system? Maybe it's worth replacing the fuel filter before you take it into the shop for a closer look?

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    blincoln has it right. You probrably just need to change the fuel filter. Does it stall as well as jump a little every once in a while. Generally if the fuel filter needs changing, it will be jumpy as well. Do a basic tune-up and go from there.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The car definitely for 100% sure has fuel injection, I believe it has the 3.8l FI motor.

It sounds to me like it could be loose wiring to the ignition assembly, signified by the stall when going over the speed bump. Does it ever stall when on flat road (without you fiddling with the A/C)?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    The car definitely for 100% sure has fuel injection, I believe it has the 3.8l FI motor.

It sounds to me like it could be loose wiring to the ignition assembly, signified by the stall when going over the speed bump. Does it ever stall when on flat road (without you fiddling with the A/C)?

It's only happened those two times. I got a ride back from where I was going because I decided driving around during rush hour with a car that died was dangerous, and then then I drive it back here a day later with no problems.

I haven't driven it since.

I'm not sure what service it has had. I haven't done anything since I got it, so I was actually going to tell them to do the whole deal.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Narket wrote: »
    blincoln has it right. You probrably just need to change the fuel filter. Does it stall as well as jump a little every once in a while. Generally if the fuel filter needs changing, it will be jumpy as well. Do a basic tune-up and go from there.

I would say no to the jumpy.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Usually when a car 'just dies' without any chugalug feeling to it, it's an electrical problem.

There may be a problem with your ignition relay or something like that, but if it only happens every once in a while it will be VERY difficult for a mechanic to diagnose it.

You could try this: Go get in the car and start it up, and have a friend press down (hard) on the bumper to simulate a speed bump. If this stalls the engine, then you can replicate that at a shop and have them figure it out.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png